Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 07:39:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ice Free Antarctica Until 3,000 B.C.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ice Free Antarctica Until 3,000 B.C.  (Read 2599 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 05:18:00 pm »

Hi Qoais,

You certainly have done your homework!

I know you don't believe Atlantis ever existed, but IF it ever existed, it was located in the Atlantic.  Wouldn't you agree?

Tom

IF I was to answer that question Tom, I'd do it most carefully, for right from the start, Plato is not telling the truth, even though he says he is.  I posted this in my own thread almost a year ago.

From Diodorus Siculus:

60.  After the death of Hyperion, the myth relates, the kingdom was divided among the sons of Uranus, the most renowned of whom were Atlas and Cronus.  Of these sons Atlas received as his part the regions on the coast of the ocean, and he not only gave the name of Atlantians to his peoples but likewise called the greatest mountain in the land Atlas.  They also say that he perfected the science of astrology and was the first to publish to mankind the doctrine of the sphere, and it was for this reason that the idea was held that the entire heavens were supported upon the shoulders of Atlas, the myth darkly hinting in this way at his discovery and description of the sphere. 

In this story, we find that Atlas is the son of Uranus, not Poseidon.  So why would Plato say Atlas was the son of Poseidon?

This article also says that Atlas received as his part, the regions on the coast of the ocean and called the greatest mountain in the land Atlas.  Now we know the Atlas mountain(s) are in N.W. Africa, and that they end in the west opposite Gibraltar and in the East at Tunisia.  So from this account, Atlantis would be from Tunisia, west along the Med., and then once clear of the Strait of Gibraltar, South for who knows how far, since all of the rest of Africa, is bordered by the Ocean, and is therefore on the "coast".

Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: