Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 01:08:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Private Enterprise- To mars

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Private Enterprise- To mars  (Read 23529 times)
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #435 on: December 04, 2012, 02:38:43 pm »

Cool
Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #436 on: December 04, 2012, 04:35:44 pm »

Smiley
http://science.howstuffworks.com/asteroid-mining1.htm

Scientists think asteroids are leftover material from the early formation of the solar system or debris from the destruction of a planet. There are tens of thousands of asteroids circling the sun. Most are grouped inside the asteroid belt, between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. Some asteroids that stray from this orbit, though, flying close to Earth on occasion -- you've probably heard about the possibility of these asteroids smashing into Earth in the future, as in the movie "Armageddon."

Most asteroids fit into three basic categories:

C-type - More than 75 percent of known asteroids fit into this category. The composition of C-type asteroids is similar to that of the sun without the hydrogen, helium and other volatiles.
    S-type - About 17 percent of asteroids are this type. These contain deposits of nickel, iron and magnesium.
    M-type - A small number of asteroids are this type, and they contain nickel and iron.

Even without a manned mission to do a full-scale study of an asteroid, scientists know a lot about what asteroids contain. Astronomers use telescopic spectroscopy, which analyzes light reflected from the asteroid's surface, to find out what might be there. In addition to iron, nickel and magnesium, scientists think water, oxygen, gold and platinum also exist on some asteroids.

Water interests space explorers most because it could help keep a space colony alive. Without water, there is really no way to move forward with human exploration of space. Water could also be broken down into hydrogen and oxygen to form rocket engine propellant. The metal ore on the asteroids could be mined and used for building spacecraft and other structures for a space colony.

Corporations that might not be interested in exploring space for the adventure and science could be interested in the treasures that a space mining operation could send back to Earth. One NASA report estimates that the mineral wealth of the asteroids in the asteroid belt might exceed $100 billion for each of the six billion people on Earth. John S. Lewis, author of the space mining book Mining the Sky, has said that an asteroid with a diameter of one kilometer would have a mass of about two billion tons. There are perhaps one million asteroids of this size in the solar system. One of these asteroids, according to Lewis, would contain 30 million tons of nickel, 1.5 million tons of metal cobalt and 7,500 tons of platinum. The platinum alone would have a value of more than $150 billion!

Asteroids have amazing potential for industry. But what will it take to land on an asteroid, find these valuable materials, extract them and process them?
The conclusion for me is simple. Robotic mining...
We could use 3 stage launch vehicles that could transport a small army of robotic miners to the NEO (near Earth Objects) and mine the heck out of them..
This one step in the grand plan would fund all space exploration and Earth restoration projects for Decades and longer. The problem is; Getting the funding needed to build the robotic miners and launch vehicals, the power plant and electromagnetic rail gun launch systems and quantum computer. Smiley

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:59:43 am by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #437 on: December 05, 2012, 05:55:54 pm »

Wanna see an example of the interest level in space exploration?  lol

Those who sign here petition the United States government to secure funding and resources, and begin construction on a Death Star by 2016.

By focusing our defense resources into a space-superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration, and more, and strengthen our national defense.
Total signatures: 1,428
http://news.yahoo.com/11-ridiculous-white-house-petitions-125600140.html

Now, who would want a huge space station without it being used for selfishness and destruction?
H.D.R
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:58:20 pm by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #438 on: December 11, 2012, 07:31:30 pm »

Cheesy I am now attempting to contact Richard Branson, as suggested...
For real.
Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #439 on: December 11, 2012, 07:38:00 pm »

Well, I would think we'd need a little money. How ese can you get this off the ground without it?  Cheesy

Cheesy   Question. Are you working for Richard Branson?
I wish to contact him as you suggested.
Report Spam   Logged

Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #440 on: December 13, 2012, 01:20:56 pm »

So did you hear from Branson or his people yet, Herefornow?
I emailed the Governor of New York once and have been on his email list ever since, and I'm not even a New Yorker!
Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #441 on: December 13, 2012, 05:45:39 pm »

Smiley So far, No such luck. However...
I'm gleaning other possibilities.

Thank you Rachel. It's nice to hear some feed back.
I highly encourage any guests to feel free express your opinions or ideas here....
Registering in Atlantis online is easy..

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:26:11 pm by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #442 on: December 13, 2012, 06:24:25 pm »

So did you hear from Branson or his people yet, Herefornow?
I emailed the Governor of New York once and have been on his email list ever since, and I'm not even a New Yorker!

By chance do you know of any other links that might possibly be more user friendly the Virgin Web sight?
He's not easy to get a hold of.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:52:31 am by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #443 on: December 26, 2012, 11:56:02 am »

Before anything ever happens to a lot of the information here in this thread. I have taken the liberty of printing it onto paper..
eventually, I may just place in into a time capsule.
Report Spam   Logged

Elric
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #444 on: December 27, 2012, 01:53:22 am »

It might also be shaped into a decent book, Herefornow, you might want to give that some thought as well.
Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #445 on: December 27, 2012, 07:47:02 am »

Cheesy The book idea is mentioned in this. Definitely being considered. Naturally, I will mention it's presence here in Atlantis Online as well.
I also share with friends on face book. Get input from them.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 11:19:31 am by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #446 on: December 27, 2012, 09:11:31 pm »

You can contact Branson on facebook, twitter and online, Herefornow, here are a bunch of links that should help you:

http://richardbransonfan.com/contact/index.html

https://twitter.com/richardbranson

https://www.facebook.com/RichardBranson

Good luck!

Rachel
Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #447 on: December 28, 2012, 05:30:09 am »

<3  Thanks Rachel
Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #448 on: January 06, 2013, 09:27:25 am »

Richard has not responded..

So, I'm just going to have to keep going.
Report Spam   Logged

Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #449 on: January 06, 2013, 10:18:41 pm »

Bummer!  Well, don't give up, shape it all into a book and try and get it published.
In the creative writing section at the bottom of the forum, I put some stuff in there about self-publishing. Check it out!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: