Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 04:01:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 'Europe's oldest city' found in Cadiz
http://mathaba.net/rss/?x=566660

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Private Enterprise- To mars

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Private Enterprise- To mars  (Read 23580 times)
mdsungate

Hermes, Gateway of the Sun

« Reply #315 on: December 27, 2009, 01:11:28 am »

Smiley  QUOTE FROM MERCURY:

Not certain that Mars would be the best prospect for colonization.  It would take some terraforming and everything I have heard about it would mean that it would take centuries.

Greeting fellow Merurian, LOL.  Welcome to the forums.  I've read several books on this subject.  One theory has it that the whole reason the red planet is red is that it once had an oxygen rich atomsphere and now everything has been oxydized red.  I am of the personal belief that in the far distant past, (500,000 years ago or more), someone intelligently terraformed Mars, but it later fell victim to a geological catastrophe.  But that's just conjecture.  However the only thing keeping Mars from becoming inhabitable is a denser atmosphere which would raise the temperature of the planet allowing for liquid water to once again flow on the surface.  Of all the plans I've read about there is one which would not take centuries to achieve.  All that needs to be done is to divert one of those gigantic chunks of ice floating around the solar system, (no not a comet).  Not all of the objects in the asteroid belt are rocks.  I beleive I've read that some of the asteriods are primarily ice, although not the same composition as the ice in comets.  A properly planted detonation on said chunk of floating space ice could send it on a collision course with the red planet, a trip that coming from the asteriod belt which as per Boyles Law should be the next planet out from Mars.  The impact should instantly vaporiize the ice chunk into vaporus water, instantly giving Mars a considerably denser atmosphere.

I'm not saying I'd like to be anywhere near Mars if and when that impact were to occur, LOL  Nor am I saying I'm in favor of instituting a geological disater to an innocent planet.  Though I'm not sure just how long it would take for things to calm down after the impact so that people could land there.  But the change in temperature and conditions for lliquid water to flow on the surface shoulc be fairly quick.  I don't think we're talking centuries.
 Wink
Mike

Report Spam   Logged

Hermes Trismegistus:  “As above, so below.”
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: