Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 03:04:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Towering Ancient Tsunami Devastated the Mediterranean
http://www.livescience.com/environment/061130_ancient_tsunami.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Geology of Atlantis

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Geology of Atlantis  (Read 2688 times)
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 07:22:04 pm »

Lonestar77 the explanation of what happened was an excellent idea. However, a feature like a moutain which was mentioned by Plato as well would be found in the location you mentioned right?

Good question. Which "mountain" are you talking about? I believe Plato talked about many mountains surrounding the fertile valley -- the breadbasket of Atlantis. Based on the rough description of size, Atlantis (if it existed) likely stretched from near Gibraltar (and Gadira) to the Mid-Atlantic Ridge at the Azores. Each of the islands in that area (possibly including the Madeira Islands, and very likely including the Azores) is in essence a mountain reaching up from the sea floor. In the case of the Azores, the base of each island is itself on an underwater plateau (the core of Atlantis?).

The indistinct nature of the plate boundary west of Gibraltar may be a result of the destruction of Atlantis. An 11 or 12 on the earthquake scale is outside the experience of historical man, yet Atlantis sinking would likely have been that strong of a temblor. Would some mountains become flattened on the ocean floor with that strength of a quake? I suppose it depends on the nature of the subsidence. If, as I suspect, Atlantis collapsed from post-glacial isostatic adjustment (from the opposite of "rebound"), then many mountains may have been levelled.

The current Terceira Ridge (spreading center) is a result of the current Africa plate rotation with respect to the Eurasia. Was this caused by a pivotal collision with Atlantis? That remains to be seen. Much more evidence is needed to confirm that hypothesis.

I'm sure that there would be coastal evidence of perhaps huge mega-tsunamis on all the continents surrounding the great Atlantic Ocean in such an event. Maybe showing more evidence of this type of cataclysm would reveal a central point of origion.  for example;

Smiley As for a mountain, we could invent a name for one if there are any.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:52:38 pm by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: