Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:08:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Geology of Atlantis

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Geology of Atlantis  (Read 2464 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 11:39:47 am »

Cheesy  Well, I've never been called a killjoy before!  How unique.

My reasoning for the non-existence of Atlantis, comes from researching what science teaches us, in a number of different fields.  If I don't know a subject or understand it in depth, I turn to those who do know these subjects and trust that their knowledge is correct.  Repeating myself as it seems necessary to do to get a point across, I have posted the knowledge I have gleaned from researching the different timelines for the technologies that have developed over the centuries and when those technologies were invented. 

I am not being skeptical just for fun here.  I have honestly set down what I've found regarding known information as to when ships were developed, when civilizations developed in certain areas, when trained armies were initiated, when horses were domesticated and when they were used for riding after being used as dray animals, when the wheel was invented, and more importantly the hub, so the wheel could turn on an axle.  All of the research shows that these things that supposedly made up Atlantis, were not developed in the timeline for the existence of Atlantis. 

As far as I know, some scientists believe that the Mid Atlantic ridge was once above water and has subsided. I also seem to remember, but of course could be wrong, that this was hundreds of thousands of years ago.  As far as there being a large inhabitable island in the Atlantic, I take the word of geologists who tell me that from the core samples taken, there is no evidence that such a land mass existed.  Do I have the numbers and locations of each core sample?  No.  It was just a general discussion on what has been found.  Anyone can google something like Atlantic Core Samples, or Deep Sea Core Samples, etc., to find out just what has been discovered so far.   

Lonestar, you are studying things on your own and coming to your own conclusions.  You said "my expert" made a claim about your knowledge of geological terms, a claim which was ludicrously false.  The thing is, a professional does use the proper terminology and when someone doesn't, it sends up a flag saying that person is NOT a professional.  You may very well be familiar with geological terms, however, when a professional reads your hypothesis or listens to your video, he realizes immediately that you are not one, by your use of, or lack of use of, technological terms.  Therefore, if you are not a professional, you are considered "fringe".  I guess you would have to prove your hypothesis to change that categorization. 

However, even if you were correct in your ideas - Even if there was an impact event of the magnitude you describe where water could be ejected into outer space without destroying the earth - even if the tectonic plates got stuck at a certain point - this does not prove the existence of Atlantis.  You say you are grading people on their arguments against Atlantis and you've given everyone so far a poor mark.  All you are doing is grading them on their writing abilities.  They all write an essay and you grade their work.  Are you a frustrated teacher or something?  Perhaps this is your way of mocking everyone else??

So grade my answer to the existence of Atlantis, and why it didn't.

All crap aside, and never mind if I've used capital letters in the correct place or used the proper syntax.  Just based on what I've said regarding the things I've searched out:

I am not being skeptical just for fun here.  I have honestly set down what I've found regarding known information as to when ships were developed, when civilizations developed in certain areas, when trained armies were initiated, when horses were domesticated and when they were used for riding after being used as dray animals, when the wheel was invented, and more importantly the hub, so the wheel could turn on an axle.  All of the research shows that these things that supposedly made up Atlantis, were not developed in the timeline for the existence of Atlantis. 

what grade do I get?  I'm not ridiculing anyone, I'm not calling anyone down, I'm not insulting anyone, I'm just stating the reasons why Atlantis couldn't have existed as Plato tells it, in the timeline he gives it, based on science. 

If I am wrong in my interpretation of the scientific facts, I do apologize. Please correct me where I'm wrong.

Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: