Atlantis Online
April 16, 2024, 12:55:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Talk:Atlantis

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk:Atlantis  (Read 850 times)
Angels & Demons

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 01:34:51 am »

Well, whether you're happy with the definitions or not, they reflect common usage. Your claims about what one thinks when they read the term "mythical" are really just your own intuitions and frankly have nothing to do with my own reaction. I know what is meant by calling Atlantis "mythical" and dictionaries suggest that I'm not alone in my interpretation. On the other hand, I don't know what "artificial myth" means and "platonic myth" is more likely to confuse than to clarify.
    I don't see any particular reason to object to the word "mythical", aside from personal preference.Phiwum 18:00, 26 May 2006 (UTC)

regardless of your personal objections, Atlantis is a myth, by the ordinary definition of the word and by the usage of Platonic scholars.

Might I suggest that we're spending a lot of effort discussing the use of one word in the article, and that we might better spend this effort on improving the body of the article? For instance, Athenaios, you think that the article needs to have Vidal-Naquet's viewpoint included. Why don't we work on that instead--seems like a better thing to be doing rather than arguing over whether we should use "mythical" in one sentence. --Akhilleus (talk) 18:10, 26 May 2006 (UTC)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: