Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 02:37:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site provides evidence for ancient comet explosion
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nationworld/story/173177.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Drill, Baby, Drill Palin Says

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drill, Baby, Drill Palin Says  (Read 111 times)
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« on: April 30, 2010, 06:40:13 pm »

April 30, 2010 (WABC) -- Call it the sounds of silence.

I've been listening for but haven't heard "Drill, Baby, Drill" for a while. At least not since the oil rig explosion that is threatening beaches and wildlife along the Louisiana coastline.

(Oops I stand corrected. Sarah Palin just issued a statement saying, despite the oil spill she stands by her pro-drilling stance. But she's been quiet since the initial explosion last week.)

And have you also noticed the dearth of coal ads since the mine explosion earlier this month? They had seemed ubiquitous on television that is, until the explosion.

Related Content

More: Behind the News
Pres. Obama has now put an informal moratorium on his proposal to drill for oil along the East Coast, pending a thorough investigation into the calamity that seems to be evolving in the Gulf. And if you're a drill advocate in New Jersey, what's your position now, as you watch the oil slick creep towards land and drench wildlife and bring the shrimping industry to a halt? This rig that exploded and that is now leaking up to an estimated 5,000 barrels a day, was, according to Sen. Ben Cardin of Maryland, "the most sophisticated &. in the world, $600 million to build, and look what happened."

Cardin doesn't want Mr. Obama to hesitate; he should reverse his drilling proposal, he says. "I don't believe the little bit of oil that might be out there is worth the type of risk that we now see becoming a fact in the Gulf of Mexico," Cardin said.

The oil slick causing problems for the giant BP petroleum company. And now Halliburton is also involved. The company, which Dick Cheney once headed, has been named in more than two dozen lawsuits filed by folks and businesses along the Gulf, claiming the oil spill could spell financial ruin for them. According to the Associated Press, one lawsuit, filed by an injured technician on the rig, says that Halliburton "improperly and negligently" cemented the well, and that contributed to the fire, explosion and oil spill.

We'll have the latest on the oil slick, tonight at 11.

One more note about the coal mine explosion. The FBI is now investigating the Massey Upper Big Branch mine, and have questioned nearly two dozen current and former employees. Remarkably silent in this whole case are the federal mine inspectors. And one government source tonight telling ABC News that the FBI will investigate any allegations of bribes being paid by the company to inspectors.

We're also in Haiti tonight, reporting on that poorest-of-poor country's efforts to rebuild after January's deadly earthquake.

Most of the cameras are gone. Sean Penn is helping to lead the rebuilding. And so too is a church group from Harlem. The New Light Baptist Church is trying to build a medical clinic in the town of Mariani, about an hour outside Port au Prince.

So committed are these folks to building this clinic that a church elder who lives in New York but has property in Haiti, donated the land for the facility.

This week, eight members of the church are in Haiti. And so is Eyewitness News reporter Marcus Solis, who tonight at 11 tells the story of the Harlem church people and their rebuilding efforts.

Also at 11, a lesson about bad things that happen to businesses during this horrible economy, and how some businesspeople in trouble make things worse.

A group of Brownies in New Jersey made some pottery for their parents. The owner of the shop and if you have kids, you know these places; I have so many great cups and bowls my kids have made, promised the pottery would be ready in a week. But then came severe weather, and her kiln was drowned.

Rather than call the girls and explain the problem, the shop owner ignored them. Finally, the girls and their troop leader called Nina Pineda and got 7 On Your Side. And, oh yeah, they got their pottery back too.

We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Scott Clark with the night's sports. I hope you can join Liz Cho and me, tonight at 11.

BILL RITTER
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news&id=7416214
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 06:45:05 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxEemiHyCGQ&feature=related

Republicans-Drill baby Drill Huh

A real sick slick slogan?  Undecided

Keith,
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 06:55:29 pm »

Spill Recharges Drilling Debate

By NEIL KING JR. And JONATHAN WEISMAN

The White House strove Friday to assure coastal residents that it was responding swiftly to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, as both Democrats and Republicans braced for the fallout from what could be one of the worst U.S. environmental disasters in decades.

The imminent threat of oil fouling Gulf coast fisheries and beaches comes as a political embarrassment to drilling proponents, from President Barack Obama to former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who had argued that offshore oil platforms pose few environmental risks.

Mr. Obama told a town-hall meeting just weeks ago that "oil rigs today don't generally cause spills," which critics are now turning against him.

The "Drill, Baby, Drill" slogan Ms. Palin and other Republicans adopted as a shorthand for their energy policy is likewise being thrown back as a taunt.

"Instead of 'drill, baby, drill' they're looking at 'spill, baby, spill,' " the liberal MoveOn.org said in a statement. Environmental group Greenpeace called on Mr. Obama to impose a ban on new offshore exploration.

Gov. Palin wrote Friday to followers on Twitter: "Having worked/lived thru Exxon oil spill, my family & I understand Gulf residents' fears. Our prayers r w/u. All industry efforts must b employed."

The deadly April 20 rig explosion and subsequent spill have set off a wave of second-guessing in Washington over whether to forge ahead on administration plans to open new areas of the Atlantic and Gulf to offshore oil exploration and drilling.

The Obama administration said Friday it would put on hold its plans to expand offshore drilling until the cause of the explosion that sank the Deepwater Horizon rig is known.

Environmental and liberal groups called for President Obama to reimpose a moratorium on offshore drilling and to shelve an Arctic oil-exploration project set for this summer.

Republicans and some Democrats said offshore exploration should go forward once the Gulf spill's causes are understood.

As some local officials in Louisiana voiced complaints about a slow federal response to the catastrophe, Mr. Obama used a Rose Garden economic speech Friday to list the steps his administration has taken to help combat the spill, including dispatching the Navy and Coast Guard. The president said he had ordered Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to review what caused the blowout and to report back in a month on steps needed to prevent future mishaps.

"Let me be clear: I continue to believe that domestic oil production is an important part of our overall strategy for energy security," Mr. Obama said. "But I've always said that it must be done responsibly for the safety of our workers and our environment."

White House spokesman Ben LaBolt said the president is not backing off his recent proposals to open new areas of the outer continental shelf. But none of those recommendations, he said, meant immediate drilling. All require technical and environmental studies, which will take the accident into account.

Drilling proponents Friday urged the administration to stick with its plans to open more areas to offshore exploration starting in 2012. Republican leaders, including former House speaker Newt Gingrich, have for years urged the opening of nearly all coastal areas to drilling, and many are continuing to do so.

"In America, what we do when we face disasters like this is we investigate, we fix, we move forward," said Vince Haley, an aide to Mr. Gingrich at American Solutions, a group that the former speaker founded in part to promote offshore drilling.

"It's a significant incident, one we should learn from and study," said Republican Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, a potential 2012 presidential hopeful, in an interview, "but it should not stop or slow down responsible efforts to find and develop oil and gas supplies in the U.S." or surrounding nations.

Prominent Democrats pushed the other way. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said in a statement the spill will "require us to re-examine how we extract our nation's offshore energy resources." House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she supported reimposing the drilling ban, even before the spill.

Democratic Sen. Byron Dorgan of North Dakota, who has proposed opening currently off-limits areas of the Eastern Gulf of Mexico to oil and gas production, called the spill "a consequential event that could affect how we proceed" on proposals to expand offshore drilling. But he said that the jury was still out.

But other Democrats are urging the president not to overreact to the spill. Despite the looming threat to her state, Sen. Mary Landrieu (D., La.), compared the disaster to the space-shuttle Challenger explosion. "The horror of that disaster shocked us all and it haunts us to this day," she said. "However, what we did not do was end the space program. We didn't stop launching. We didn't stop exploring."

The White House sought to combat comparisons to the federal government's belated response the 2005 Hurricane Katrina disaster. In a television interview, Obama advisor David Axelrod said that such criticism is the norm in Washington "whenever something like this happens."

—Stephen Power

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704093204575216533842541928.html?mod=WSJ_WSJ_US_News_6
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: