Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 09:06:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Hang Out Your Banners; Union Victory! Peace!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hang Out Your Banners; Union Victory! Peace!  (Read 84 times)
Aphrodite
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: April 09, 2010, 07:06:34 am »

Report Spam   Logged

"He who controls others maybe powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.” - Lao Tsu

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Aphrodite
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:07:20 am »

Hang Out Your Banners; Union Victory! Peace!
Surrender of General Lee and His Whole Army. The Work of Palm Sunday. Final Triumph of the Army of the Potomac. The Strategy and Diplomacy of Lieut.- Gen. Grant. Terms and Conditions of the Surrender. The Rebel Arms, Artillery, and Public Property Surrendered. Rebel Officers Retain Their Side Arms, and Private Property. Officers and Men Paroled and Allowed to Return to Their Homes. The Correspondence Between Grant and Lee.
OFFICIAL

All related headlines appear within the text.

War Department, Washington, April 9, 1865- 9 o'clock P.M.
This department has received the official report of the SURRENDER, THIS DAY, OF GEN. LEE AND HIS ARMY TO LIEUT. GRANT, on the terms proposed by Gen. Grant.
Details will be given as speedily as possible.
Edwin M. Stanton,
Secretary of War.

Headquarters Armies of the United States, 4:30 P.M., April 9.

Hon. Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War:
GEN. LEE SURRENDERED THE ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA THIS AFTERNOON, upon the terms proposed by myself. The accompanying additional correspondence will show the conditions fully.
(signed)
U.S. Grant, Lieut. Gen'l.

Sunday April 9, 1865,
General- I received your note of this morning, on the picket line, whither I had come to meet you and ascertain definitely what terms were embraced in your preposition of yesterday with reference to the surrender of this army.
I now request an interview in accordance with the offer contained in your letter of yesterday for that purpose.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
R. E. Lee, General.

To Lieut.-Gen. Grant, Commanding United States Armies.
Sunday, April 9, 1865
Gen. R. E. Lee, Commanding Confederate States Armies.
Your note of this date is set this moment, 11:50 A.M., received.
In consequence of my having passed from the Richmond and Lynchburgh road to the Farmville and Lynchburgh road, I am at this writing about four miles West of Walter's church, and will push forward to the front for the purpose of meeting you.
Notice sent to me, on this road, where you wish the interview to take place, will meet me.
Very respectfully, your ob'd't servant,
U.S. Grant,
Lieutenant-General

Court House, April 9, 1865.
General R. E. Lee, Commanding C. S. A.:
In accordance with the substance of my letters to you of the 8th inst., I propose to receive the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia on the following terms, to wit:
Rolls of all the officers and men to be made in duplicate, one copy to be given to an officer designated by me, the other to be retained by such officers as you may designate.
The officers to give their individual paroles not to take arms against the Government of the United States until properly exchanged, and each company or regimental commander sign a like parole for the men of their commands.
The arms, artillery and public property to be packed an stacked and turned over to the officers appointed by me to receive them.
This will not embrace the side-arms of the officers, nor their private horses or baggage.
This done, each officer and man will be allowed to return to their homes, not to be disturbed by United States authority so long as they observe their parole and the laws in force where they reside.
Very respectfully,
U.S. Grant, Lieutenant-General.

Headquarters Army of Northern Virginia,
April 9, 1865
Lieut. Gen. U.S. Grant, Commanding U.S.A.:
General: I have received your letter of this date, containing the terms of surrender of the army of northern Virginia, as proposed by you; As they are substantially the same as those expressed in your letter of the 8th inst., they are accepted. I will proceed to designate the proper officers to carry stipulations late effect.
Very Respectfully, Your Obedient Servant, R. E. Lee, General.
Report Spam   Logged

"He who controls others maybe powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.” - Lao Tsu
Aphrodite
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:07:39 am »

THE PRELIMINARY CORRESPONDENCE

The following is the previous correspondence between Lieut.-Gen. Grant and Gen. Lee, referred to in the foregoing telegram to the Secretary of War:

Clifton House, Va., April 9, 1865
Hon. Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War:
The following correspondence has taken place between Gen. Lee and myself. There has been no relaxation in the pursuit during its pendency.
U.S. Grant, Lieutenant-General

April 7, 1865
Gen. R. E. Lee, Commanding C.S.A.:
General: The result of the last week must convince you of the hopelessness of further resistance on the part of the Army of Northern Virginia in this struggle. I feel that it is so and regard it as my duty to shift from myself the responsibility of any further effusion of blood, by asking of you the surrender of that portion of the Confederate States Army, known as the Army of Northern Virginia.
Very Respectfully,
Your obedient servant,
U.S. Grant,
Lieutenant-General,
Commanding Armies of the United States.

April 7, 1865
General: I have received your note of this date.
Though not entirely of the opinion you express of the hopelessness of further resistance on the part of the army of Northern Virginia, I reciprocate your desire to avoid useless effusion of blood, and therefore, before considering your proposition, ask the terms you will offer, on condition of its surrender.
R. E. Lee, General
To Lieut.-Gen. U. S. Grant, Commanding Armies of the United States.

April 8, 1865
To Gen. R. E. Lee, Commanding C.S.A.
General: Your note of last evening in reply to mine of same date, asking the conditions on which I will accept the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia, is just received.
In reply, I would say that peace being my first desire, there is but one condition that I insist upon, viz.:
That the men surrendered shall be disqualified for taking up arms again against the Government of the United States until promptly exchanged.
I will meet you, or designate officers to meet any officers you may name, for the same purpose, at any point agreeable to you, for the purpose of arranging definitely the terms upon which the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia will be received.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
U.S. Grant, Lieut.-General, Commanding armies of the United States.

April 8, 1865
General: I received, at a late hour, your note of to-day, in answer to mine of yesterday.
I did not intend to propose the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia, but to ask the terms of your proposition. To be frank, I do not think the emergency has arisen to call for the surrender.
But as the restoration of peace should be the sole object of all, I desire to know whether your proposals would tend to that end.
I cannot, therefore, meet you with a view to surrender the Army of Northern Virginia, but as far as your proposition may affect the Confederate States forces under my command, and tend to the restoration of peace, I should be pleased to meet you at 10 A.M., to-morrow, on the old stage road to Richmond, between the picket lines of the two armies.
Very Respectfully, your obedient servant,
R. E. Lee
General, C.S.A.

To Lieut.-Gen. Grant, Commanding Armies of the United States
April 9, 1865
General R. E. Lee, commanding C.S.A.:
General: Your note of yesterday is received. As I have no authority to treat on the subject of peace, the meeting proposed for 10 A. M. to-day could lead to no good. I will state, however, General, that I am equally anxious for peace with yourself; and the whole North entertain the same feeling. The terms upon which peace can be had are well understood. By the South laying down their arms, they will hasten that most desirable event, save thousands of human lives, and hundreds of millions of property not yet destroyed.
Sincerely hoping that all our difficulties may be settled without the loss of another life, I subscribe myself,
Very respectfully,
Your obedient servant,
U. S. Grant,
Lieutenant-General United States Army.
Report Spam   Logged

Aphrodite
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:08:07 am »

The Victory
Thanks to God, the Giver of Victory Honors to Gen. Grant and His Gallant Army. A National Salute Ordered. Two Hundred Guns to be Fired at the Headquarters of Every Army, Department, Post and Arsenal.

OFFICIAL

War Department, Washington, D. C., April 9, 1865- 9:30 P.M.
Lieut.-Gen. Grant:
Thanks be to almighty God for the great victory with which he has this day crowned you and the gallant armies under your command.
The thanks of this Department and of the Government, and of the People of the United States- their reverence and honor have been deserved- will be rendered to you and the brave and gallant officers and soldiers of your army for all time.
Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War.

War Department, Washington, D.C.,
April 9, 1865- 10 o'clock P.M.
Ordered: that a salute of two hundred guns be fired at the headquarters of every army and department, and at every post and arsenal in the United States, and at the Military Academy at West Point on the day of the receipt of this order, is commemoration of the surrender of Gen. Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia to Lieut.-Gen. Grant and the army under his command. Report of the receipt and execution of this order to be made to the Adjutant-General at Washington. Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War.

War Department, Washington, D.C., April 9, 1865- 10 o'clock P.M.
Ordered: That a salute of two hundred guns be fired at the headquarters of every army and department, and at every post and arsenal in the United States, and at the Military Academy at West Point on the day of the receipt of this order, in commemoration of the surrender of Gen. Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia to Lieut.-Gen. Grant and the army under his command. Report of the receipt and execution of this order to be made to the Adjutant-General at Washington.
Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War.

From Richmond
Perils and Excitements of a Voyage Up the James-Seenee and Incidents Along the River.

From Our Own Correspondent.

Richmond, Va. Wednesday, April 5 -- The inspiration of the scene and the scope of the theme before us are far beyond the feeble descriptive powers of the pen of your correspondent. No brilliant rhetoric, no vivid word-painting, no oratorical eloquence can portray the sublimity and immensity of the great victory. It is almost beyond the power of the human mind to comprehend its exist, and when you begin to descend to detail, the task is simply appalling is its magnitude . Think of a line of operations, held defensively and operated from offensively with such success, thirty-nine miles long from flank to flank, thoroughly fortified throughout its entire length. Think of the cities captured, of the fortifications stormed and taken, with their hundreds of guns, great and small, of the material of war now in our hands, yet beyond the possibility of computations of the terrible battles, and the overwhelming defeat, and rout of the chief army of the rebellion of the prisoners captured. Counted by the tens of thousands, of the terrified fight of the arch-traitor and his few desperate minions; of the triumphant entry of Abraham Lincoln into treason's fallen capital. Let every lover of his country depict the vast scene in his own imagination for words to fitly describe it falls altogether.

Through the courtesy of Provost-marshal Gen. Patrick, I enjoyed an exceedingly pleasant sail from City Point to the Richmond wharves this morning, on his fleet flag ship, the Mattine. Accompanying the General were Hon. C. H. Dana, Assistant Secretary of War, his wife and son, and Hon. Roscoe Connling, member of Congress from New-York. The snake-like beads of the James between City Point and Varina Landing, were quickly passed, and at the latter place assurance was given that the river was clear for our vessel to the very docks of Richmond; but I can assure you that the navigation of the tortuous channel of the James thence to Richmond, thickly sown with obstructions and supposed torpedoes, was an exceedingly delicate task, and full of excitement. Our pilot knew the channel of old, but he knew not the warlike devices of the enemy.

We were, however, very fortunate, and the approach to the city, especially during the last eight miles from Drewry's Bluff, was full of the intensest interest, for over these waters the Union flag had never before floated during the war. When we leave Dutch Gap and that famous canal, which looks as though it might have been washed out by a billow, we at once enter upon the lines held by the enemy. Howlett House Battery, famous for its determined resistance to our engineering operations on the north side of the river, stands abandoned and gloomy, with its twelve large guns still in the embrasures, but all silent as we steamed rapidly by. Another long and large earthwork appears on the left bank, mounting eight or ten guns, and bearing directly upon the mouth of the canal. This, too, like the rest, is abandoned, with its armament unimpaired. We next pass the wreck of the rebel gunboat, blown up by our batteries during the effort made to run through our fleet some months ago.

The next point of interest is Fort Brady, on the north bank of the river, and the left of the position of our Army of the James. What strikes one as very remarkable here is the fact that owing to the intricate windings of the James there are two rebel batteries, Howlett House and another, absolutely in the rear of this former position of our army. Fort Brady is the point where Gen. Gibson opened on the retreating rebel rams. Had there been larger guns at his disposal, the range is so good that they would have stood a poor chance of escape.

We are now fairly in that part of the river held solely by the rebels and a knowledge of the channel and obstructions is absolutely necessary to a safe voyage. The gunboat Monticello is therefore hailed, and on asking for information, a pilot who has been up and down is tendered with much politeness. The obstructions sunk by our own fleet are soon passed, likewise the fleet of monitors, and the next object which greets the vision is a gaily dressed tug, with a guard of marines, having in tow Admiral Porter's barge with the President, on his return from Richmond, complacently seated in the stern sheets. It looks very much like a picnic. Following a short distance after is the President's handsome flag-ship, the River Queen. Not far behind is the beautiful steel gunboat, ex-blockade runner, now general convoy to distinguished guests, and one of the fastest vessels in the navy. The River Queen, which took the President up the river, proceeded no farther than the obstructions at Drewry's Bluff. We are soon abreast of this historic fortification, and eager eyes scan closely its formidable walls and positions.

Here is the chief line of obstructions sunk by the rebels early in the war, and located as they are, directly under the guns of Fort Darling, subjecting every approaching thing to a terrible plunging fire, it is readily admitted that this was the impossible barrier to the naval advance on Richmond. The river here is very narrow, and the movement of large vessels attended with much danger. The obstructions were placed directly across the river, and filled it completely with the exception of a gap of fifty or sixty feet left for the passage of the rebel fleet and flag-of-truce boats. They consist of the hulls of two or three old steamships, that formerly plyed between Richmond and New York. The wheel-house, fast crumbling to decay, still rise above the water, and present the appearance of a melancholy ruin.

We pass so hurriedly under the guns of Fort Darling, that we have no good opportunity to observe its construction. We know it looks very strong, and on the north side it has one or two small outlying works on its flank. Our naval companions tell us that it is a casemated fortification, and with its surrounding field works, all parts of the fort itself, mounts not less than forty guns. All these, like hundreds more, are our trophies without blemish or injury.

Not far above Fort Darling lies the wreck of one of the famous rebel fleet in the James, the iron-clad Virginia. Whether she has been blown up or simply scuttled and sunk, cannot be ascertained from looking at her as she lies. She sank in deep water, and is careened over on her side, leaving a portion of her overhang visible above the water-line. Of the other iron-clad, the Richmond, we find no trace.

In the immediate vicinity of Fort Darling we pass through a very substantial bridge with a draw, used by lee for the speedy transfer of troops from the north to the south side of the James. Ere reaching Richmond we pass two more of the same kind, though hardly so well built as the first; but all demonstrating that Lee had no pontoon bridges across the James anywhere- probably, because the rapid current rendered them unsafe, and probably, too, because he had not any pontoons to spare, when something else would answer just as well.

We have now steamed safely by all obstructions and chances of torpedoes, and the very pardonable trepidations which we felt in view of our possible danger, gives way to a feeling that just now is a moment in our lives, the significance, importance and sublimity of which cannot be justly appreciated. The City of Richmond is in view. The spires pointing heavenward; the smoke still rising from the conflagration's awful ruin, and the Stars and Stripes floating from a hundred house-tops and mastheads, all form a picture so sublimely grand and inspiring, that the human mind is simply lost in mute contemplation.

In a few moments we land at the Rockets, and a break wall of a mile and a half brings us to the Spotswood House, where he find dinner and a very comfortable room, amid hundreds of loyal guests.

L.L. Crounse

Back to the top of this page.
Back to today's page.
Go to another day.
Front Page Image Provided by UMI

Copyright 2010 The New York Times Company
Children's Privacy Notice
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: