Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 08:26:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Plato's Plain & Its Location

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plato's Plain & Its Location  (Read 1796 times)
daniaboot

« on: April 03, 2010, 09:09:28 pm »

I'm new to your site, and thanks for having me. I don't know if the subject I wish to discuss has been broached before, but here goes.

In Critias, Plato describes the capital city of Atlantis, and near the end of his account he states, "...the city was surrounded by a uniformly flat plain, which was in turn enclosed by mountains which came right down to the sea. This plain was rectangular in shape, measuring three thousand stades in length and at its midpoint two thousand stades in breath from the coast. This whole area of the island faced south... (and) The mountains which surrounded it were celebrated as being more numerous, higher and beautiful than any which exist today..."
(A stade measures a little less than 1/8 of a mile. Hence 2000 stade= 250 miles, and 3000 stade= 375 miles.)

This describes the Nares Plain (375 miles x 250 miles), located just north of the Puerto Rico Trench. To the east of the Nares Plain is a submerged mountain range. Today the plain faces south.
Or, if you prefer, how about the Hatteras Plain? Same size, with the Bermuda Rise to the east of it. However, the Hatteras Plain faces west, but if Edgar Cayce was correct about the pole shift of 12,500 years ago this would account for the difference in compass orientation.
I personally go with the Nares Plain because: "The mountains which surrounded it were celebrated as being more numerous, higher and more beautiful than any which exist today." Which fits the mountain range to the east of the Nares Plain to a tee.

Well as I said, I hope this is not old news to you folks. Thanks again.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Autolocus
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:51:51 pm »

Hi daniaboot, and welcome to the forum.  I have been having a hard time finding pictures of this Nares Plain that you speak about.  Do you have any pictures to compare?  Also, where do you place the capital city?
Report Spam   Logged
daniaboot

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:14:11 am »

For Autolocus: I'm working from a photo copy I made from a book I found in the local library 20 years ago. I also am having trouble finding decent maps/charts of the ocean floor. They're available if you want to buy them online. I hesitate to do so because there is no preview of what you're buying.
According to Plato, the capital city was surrounded by said plain. If there were detailed photos of the sea floor at the Nares Plain, it might be interesting to see if there were visible concentric, circular depressions, which of course would be the remains of the three canals of the city. The distance from the center of the city to the outer wall of the last, and largest canal was 6.25 miles. (According to my man Plato.)
The city of Troy was found by Heinrich Schliemann when the consensus of mainstream archeology was that the city was just a fabric of Homer's imagination. He used the measurements given by Homer in The Iliad of the city's boundaries and measured every appropriate hill until he found one that matched. He then starting digging and ended up finding not only the Troy of legend, but a dozen other Troys built upon the remains of Homer's.
One last thing, the king of Atlantis (at the time of the final destruction) gave each his sons their own territories to rule over. One of his sons was named Azeas. Could this be where the name for the Azores islands came from?
Report Spam   Logged
Forms of Things Unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:11:39 am »

Welcome, daniaboot!

I think you will have a hard time finding any place in the world that actually matches Plato's dimensions.  My own personal opinion is that he was off by a factor of as much as ten. The area you are looking at is near the find in the Caribbean from last December, is it not?
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:59:30 am »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It is my  opinion, that Atlantis, as described by Plato, did not exist.  It is my contention that he took a number of things he knew of, and a number of things he'd like to see happen, and incorporated them into what he felt would be a perfect arrangement.  Plato was not a well traveled man and it seems Solon only traveled late in life, so neither one of them actually saw much of the world.

In my own thread, Plato's Atlantis My Theory, I have posted pictures of the Plains of Thessaly, which in my opinion, were the inspiration for the description of the lay of the land.  For the circular rings, I think he or Solon, may have been told by the Egyptians about the salt rings that show up in different places in N. Africa, the most famous one being the Richat structure. 

Plato
Looking towards the sea, but in the centre of the whole island, there was a plain which is said to have been the fairest of all plains and very fertile. Near the plain again, and also in the centre of the island at a distance of about fifty stadia, there was a mountain not very high on any side. In this mountain there dwelt one of the earth born primeval men of that country, whose name was Evenor, and he had a wife named Leucippe, and they had an only daughter who was called Cleito.

.....................The whole country was said by him to be very lofty and precipitous on the side of the sea, but the country immediately about and surrounding the city was a level plain, itself surrounded by mountains which descended towards the sea;

Plains of Thessaly

I would say this looks a lot like what Plato was describing.  It's the Plain of Thessaly.  Something he would likely be familiar with and something that could have inspired the description of his Atlantis.

......the city was surrounded by a uniformly flat plain, which was in turn enclosed by mountains which came right down to the sea. This plain was rectangular in shape, measuring three thousand stades in length and at its midpoint two thousand stades in breath from the coast.

The Plains of Thessly, Greece

P.S.
Why did you choose to post this topic in the coffee shop?  There's lots of threads under the title of Atlantis.
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
daniaboot

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:36:51 am »

Qoais: Posted where posted because not only am I new to the site, I'm new to computers,. In other words just an old fart who didn't know any better. Thought the whole friggin' site was about Atlantis! But thanks for the "heads up."
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 07:46:08 pm »

No problem!! Cheesy  There's a few of us old farts in here Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: