Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 09:06:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

N.W.T. carver violated archeological sites rules: Nunavut

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N.W.T. carver violated archeological sites rules: Nunavut  (Read 65 times)
Cleito
Superhero Member

« on: July 29, 2007, 05:28:40 am »

N.W.T. carver violated archeological sites rules: Nunavut
Last Updated: Friday, July 20, 2007 | 4:10 PM CT
CBC News

The Nunavut government says a Yellowknife man violated its archeological sites regulations, after he collected animal bones on Baffin Island that it believes are artifacts.

And while the government has said it won't prosecute him, the man says he wants an explanation for why he wasn't allowed to transport the bones out of Nunavut, something he says he has done in the past.

Bob Kussy said he received a letter earlier this week from Nunavut's Culture, Language, Elders and Youth Department, saying he had violated the Nunavut Archeological and Paleontological Sites Regulations, which say no one can excavate, alter or disturb an archeological site, or remove an artifact from a site, without the relevant permit.

The allegation stems from an incident last summer when Kussy, a non-Inuk, and his Inuk stepson travelled to the Pond Inlet area in northern Baffin Island to collect bowhead whalebones, caribou antlers and other materials for his family's carving studio — something they have done in the past with no problem, he said.

Kussy said that after collecting the bones, he applied for the permits needed to export them from the territory, but was denied by Nunavut wildlife officers. Upon his return home to Yellowknife, government officials informed him that he was under investigation for disturbing archeological sites.

"The Government of Nunavut has completed its investigation of this matter and is satisfied that your actions contravened Section 5(1) of the Nunavut Archeological and Paleontological Sites Regulations," read the letter from the department, which was dated July 5.

Continue Article

It added, "…you indicated that were you unaware of the regulations … the Government of Nunavut will accordingly not be proceeding with legal action concerning this matter. However, the bones in question will not be returned to you."

Kussy told CBC News that he was not given a chance to tell his side of the story in court, or to question how the government's investigation was done.

"I would like to see how this process was conducted. I would like to see how they determined that I've done what they've accused me of and convicted me of," he said Thursday.

"The letter is open-ended. The government doesn't want to go to court. They want to exercise authority and sweep it under the carpet."

Kussy said he questioned why he was the only person named in Nunavut's letter when it was his stepson —a Nunavut land claim beneficiary — who had applied for the permit to export the carving materials.

While Kussy said he plans to continue asking questions, he added that his wife, who is also a Nunavut beneficiary, intends to make another trip to the territory in the near future to gather more carving materials.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2007/07/20/nwt-bones.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: