Atlantis Online
July 20, 2019, 07:06:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ancient Crash, Epic Wave
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/14/healthscience/web.1114meteor.php?page=1

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Joy Division

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joy Division  (Read 573 times)
Therion
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 02:57:38 am »

As a producer, Hannett obsessed over drum sounds, never being content until they completely coincided with the sounds in his head. Legend has it that he once forced Joy Division drummer Stephen Morris to take apart his drum kit during a recording session and reassemble it to include additional parts from a toilet. He also reputedly had Morris set up his kit on a first floor flat roof outside the fire escape at Cargo Recording Studios, Rochdale. The studio was used for the recording of Digital, Glass, Atmosphere and Ice Age. Hannett's unorthodox production methods resulted in drum sounds mixed with synthesisers that were both complex and highly distinctive. One can hear these distinctive drum and synth sounds on many Joy Division recordings. According to Hannett: "There was a lot of space in their sound. They were a gift to a producer, because they didn't have a clue. They didn't argue. A Factory Sample was the first thing I did with them. I think I'd had the new AMS delay line for about two weeks. It was called 'Digital'. It was heaven sent."[12]. Hannett was instrumental in the early development of these particular AMS delays asking the engineers in the AMS company to try and recreate within the electronics the sounds he was hearing in his head.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: