Atlantis Online
April 17, 2024, 08:27:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?
Research suggests our ancestors traveled the oceans 70,000 years ago
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20-did-humans-colonize-the-world-by-boat

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mythical Monsters

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mythical Monsters  (Read 5666 times)
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 01:07:57 pm »

The author of Atlantis, ‡ indeed, claims that the gods and goddesses of the ancient Greeks, the Phœnicians, the Hindoos, and the Scandinavians were simply the kings, queens, and heroes of Atlantis, and the acts attributed to them in mythology a confused recollection of real historical events. Without conceding the locus of the originals, which requires much greater examination than I am able to make at the

p. 5

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 01:08:08 pm »

present time, I quite agree with him as to the principle. I believe that the mythological deities represent a confused chronology of far-distant times, and that the destruction of the Nemean lion, the Lernean hydra, and the Minotaur are simply the records of acts of unusual bravery in combating ferocious animals.

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 01:08:18 pm »

On the first landing of Pizarro the Mexicans entertained the opinion that man and horse were parts of one strange animal, * and we have thus a clue to the explanation of the origin of the belief in centaurs from a distant view of horsemen, a view possibly followed by the immediate flight of the observer, which rendered a solution of the extraordinary phenomenon impossible.

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 01:08:33 pm »

ON THE CREDIBILITY OF REMARKABLE STORIES.
Ferdinand Mendez Pinto quaintly observes, in one of his earlier chapters, "I will not speak of the Palace Royal, because I saw it but on the outside, howbeit the Chinese tell such wonders of it as would amaze a man; for it is my intent to relate nothing save what we beheld here with our own eyes, and that was so much as that I am afraid to write it; not that it would seem strange to those who have seen and read the marvels of the kingdom of China, but because I doubt that they which would compare those wondrous things that are in the countries they have not seen, with that little they have seen in their own, will make some question

p. 6

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 01:08:43 pm »

ON THE CREDIBILITY OF REMARKABLE STORIES.
Ferdinand Mendez Pinto quaintly observes, in one of his earlier chapters, "I will not speak of the Palace Royal, because I saw it but on the outside, howbeit the Chinese tell such wonders of it as would amaze a man; for it is my intent to relate nothing save what we beheld here with our own eyes, and that was so much as that I am afraid to write it; not that it would seem strange to those who have seen and read the marvels of the kingdom of China, but because I doubt that they which would compare those wondrous things that are in the countries they have not seen, with that little they have seen in their own, will make some question

p. 6

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 01:09:06 pm »

p. 6

of it, or, it may be, give no credit at all to these truths, because they are not conformable to their understanding and small experience." *

p. 7

Now as some of the creatures whose existence I shall have to contend for in these volumes are objects of derision to a large proportion of mankind, and of reasonable doubt to another, I cannot help fortifying myself with some such outwork of reasoning as the pith of Pinto's remarks affords, and supplementing it by adding that, while the balance between scepticism and credulity is undoubtedly always difficult to hold, yet, as Lord Bacon well remarks, "There is nothing makes a man suspect much more than to know little; and therefore men should remedy suspicion by procuring to know more."

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 01:09:33 pm »

Whately extends Bacon's proposition by adding, "This is equally true of the suspicions that have reference to things as persons"; in other words, ignorance and suspicion go hand-in-hand, and so travellers’ tales, even when supported by good evidence, are mostly denied credence or accepted with repugnance, when they offend the experience of those who, remaining at home, are thus only partially educated. Hence it is, not to go too far back for examples, that we have seen Bruce, Mungo Park, Du Chaillu, Gordon Cumming, Schliemann, * and Stanley treated with the most ungenerous criticism and contemptuous disbelief by persons who, however well informed in many subjects, lacked the extended and appreciative views which can only be acquired by travel.

Nor is this incredulity limited to travellers’ tales about savage life. It is just as often displayed in reference to the

p. 8

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 01:09:45 pm »

surroundings of uneventful life, provided they are different from those with which we are familiar.

Saladin rebuked the Knight of the Leopard for falsehood when the latter assured him that the waters of lakes in his own country became at times solidified, so that armed and mounted knights could cross them as if on dry land. And the wise Indian who was taken down to see the large American cities, with the expectation that, being convinced of the resources and irresistible power of civilization he would influence his tribe to submission on his return,
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 01:10:02 pm »

to the surprise of the commissioners who had conveyed him, spoke in directly contrary terms to those expected of him, privately explaining in reply to their remonstrances, that had he told the truth to his tribe he would have been indelibly branded for the remainder of his life as an outrageous and contemptible liar. Chinese students, despatched for education in American or European capitals, are compelled on their return to make similar reservations, under pain of incurring a like penalty; and officials who, from contact with Europeans at the open ports, get their ideas expanded too quickly, are said to be liable to isolation in distant regions, where their advanced and fantastic opinions may do as little harm to right-thinking people as possible. *
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 01:10:26 pm »

Even scientific men are sometimes as crassly incredulous as the uncultured masses. On this point hear Mr. A. R. Wallace. † "Many now living remember the time (for it is

p. 9

little more than twenty years ago) when the antiquity of man, as now understood, was universally discredited. Not only theologians, but even geologists taught us that man belonged to the existing state of things; that the extinct animals of the tertiary period had finally disappeared, and that the earth's surface had assumed its present condition before the human race first came into existence. So prepossessed were scientific men with this idea,
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »

which yet rested on purely negative evidence, and could not be supported by any argument of scientific value, that numerous facts which had been presented at intervals for half a century, all tending to prove the existence of man at very remote epochs, were silently ignored, and, more than this, the detailed statements of three distinct and careful observers confirming each other were rejected by a great scientific society as too improbable for publication, only because they proved (if they were true) the co-existence of man with extinct animals." *
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 01:11:02 pm »

The travels of that faithful historian, Marco Polo, were for a long time considered as fables, and the graphic descriptions of the Abbé Huc even still find detractors continuing the rôle of those who maintained that he had never even visited the countries which he described.

Gordon Cumming was disbelieved when he asserted that he had killed an antelope, out of a herd, with a rifle-shot at a distance of eight hundred yards.

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 01:11:19 pm »

Madame Merian † was accused of deliberate falsehood in reference to her description of a bird-eating spider nearly

p. 10

two hundred years ago. But now-a-days Mr. Bates and other reliable observers have confirmed it in regard to South America, India, and elsewhere.

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 01:11:31 pm »

Audubon was similarly accused by botanists of having invented the yellow water-lily, which he figured in his Birds of the South under the name of Nymphæa lutea, and after having lain under the imputation for years, was confirmed at last by the discovery of the long-lost flower, in Florida, by Mrs. Mary Trent, in the summer of 1876; * and this encourages us to hope that some day or other a fortunate sportsman may rediscover the Haliætus Washingtonii, in regard to which Dr. Cover says: "That famous bird of Washington was a myth; either Audubon was mistaken, or else, as some do not hesitate to affirm, he lied about it."

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 01:12:10 pm »

FIG. 1.—FISHERMAN ATTACKED BY OCTOPUS
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: