Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 01:43:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Vancouver residents remain ambivalent on eve of 2010 Olympics

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vancouver residents remain ambivalent on eve of 2010 Olympics  (Read 3693 times)
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 08:26:04 pm »

Vice-president Joe Biden's motorcade in accident

ANCOUVER -- The RCMP 2010 Integrated Security Unit is investigating whether an oil spill contributed to a car crash involving three vehicles at the rear of United States vice-president Joe Biden’s motorcade on Sunday.

The vehicle Biden was in was not involved and did not remain at the site of the crash. He arrived safely at his destination, the RCMP said, in a news release Sunday.

At around 11:35 a.m., the rear vehicle of the group rear-ended a second vehicle. The second vehicle was then pushed into a third vehicle.

The RCMP said two people in the second vehicle sustained injuries and were taken to the hospital for assessment. One person was released.

The cause of the collision is under investigation. The RCMP said possible contributing factors include road conditions and a reported oil spill on the roadway.

ticrawford@vancouversun.com

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Vice+president+Biden+motorcade+accident/2564777/story.html
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 08:37:45 pm »

Alexandre Bilodeau makes history; wins Canada's first gold medal on Canadian soil

Moguls_blog

Alexandre Bilodeau has won gold in the men's moguls tonight. The Montreal native wowed audiences and threw down a near-perfect run, igniting an already fiery crowd - and hopefully ending CTV's talk of no Candian winning a gold medal on home soil.

Alexandre was able to unseat defending Olympic champion, Canadian / Australian Dale Begg-Smith, who stood in 1st place after an excellent run.

Bryon Wilson from the USA took the bronze in a surprise performance - Bryon was only selected for the Olympics after a teammate fell to injury.

Fellow Canadians Marquis Vincent and Pierre-Alexandre Rousseau finished 4th and 5th respectively.

More to come...

http://www.thecheapseats.ca/2010/02/alexandre-bilodeau-makes-history-wins-canadas-first-gold-medal-on-canadian-soil.html
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 08:55:29 pm »

Hi Qoais

I was detained at the airport coming back from mexico from vacation for 22 hours for nothing.. they initially said I could go in 30 min.. after my paper work is done.. my mother was waiting for me at the airport and they said I was being held for questioning.. they did not question me at all.. they just got me lost in the paper work..

They later apologized and asked me if I wanted to make a formal complaint I said no I said I just want to get home and sleep I was exhausted from the trip home I was jet leged on top of it? I had every right to be stomping around and throwing things around but that is not me at all.. the only person that was mostly devastated was my late mother she was thinking the worst for me?       

All I can say is, you're lucky it was Mexico and not Canada.
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 09:00:23 pm »

I don't fly anymore.. and probably never will again..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:24:25 am by Keith Ranville » Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 09:11:41 pm »

Canadian customs are slow to get things done, when it comes to boarder crossing.. I always expect delays going to any country... that's just the way it is? 
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 10:11:23 pm »

The Simpsons plan a trip to Vancouver's 2010 Winter Games... as curlers

Vancouver News

In an episode of The Simpsons this coming February, Homer and Marge will be crashing the 2010 Winter Olympics with hopes of winning a medal in curling.

One of the show’s writers, Rob LaZebnik, has revealed the storyline will revolve around the formation of a mixed-doubles team including Principal Skinner and his mother (mixed doubles isn’t an actual Olympic discipline, but is being considered by the IOC for upcoming games).

Marge, as it turns out, is a natural at the sport, having swept a broom around the house for years on end, but Homer threatens to bring the team down.

Meanwhile, Lisa spends her time trying to collect a series of Olympic pins.

Rick Patzke, the chief operating officer for USA Curling, and Edmonton curler Randy Ferbey have both commented on the upcoming show, agreeing that it can only bring a wave of good publicity to a sport that isn’t watched nearly as often as hockey, skiing or figure skating.

As well, said Patzke, Homer is the quintessential curler in that he drinks beer, eats doughnuts and makes fun of himself.

This won’t be the first time The Simpsons have come to Canada — in 2002, in an episode called The Bart Wants What It Wants, the family went to Toronto when Bart’s new girlfriend Greta was filming a movie there with her father, Rainier Wolfcastle. Near the end of the episode, Bart and Milhouse get in a big fight that ends up interrupting a curling match.

The Simpsons also hit Winnipeg previously in an effort to buy cheap prescription drugs.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2010wintergames/Simpsons+plan+trip+Vancouver+2010+Winter+Games+curlers/1841918/story.html

Its a funny one..  I am watching it now..
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 10:23:52 pm »

Canadian Mike Robertson wins silver in Olympic snowboard cross nail biter

WEST VANCOUVER, B.C. - Bombing for the Olympic finish line, Canadian snowboarder Mike Robertson couldn't shake the feeling of someone's breath on the back of his neck.

The young snowboard-crosser, who has never won a World Cup race, emerged from the pack in the Olympic gold-medal final, with nothing but snow in front of his board.

Behind him, up the track, American snowboard veteran Seth Wescott was carving risky lines on the hill in a desperate push to catch up.

And then he did.

Wescott passed Robertson right before the home stretch to win his second straight Olympic gold in snowboard cross.

"I knew someone was going to be there, for sure," the 24-year-old native of Canmore, Alta., said Monday after winning the Olympic silver medal.

"It's the Olympics. Someone has to be there. I can't just run away with it.

"Obviously I wanted to win for sure, but I'm so happy to be second."

Tony Ramoin of France won the bronze medal and American boarder Nate Holland, who spun out in the final, finished fourth.

Robertson, who finished third overall in qualifying, tore up the track on Cypress Mountain throughout the day. He won all three races on his way to the four-man final.

Wescott, 33, saw Robertson was hot, so he cooked up a plan before the final.

"I knew if I could just stay with him until lower parts (of the course) ... that I could probably generate speed to that final straightaway, and it worked," he said.

Wescott, who won gold at the 2006 Turin Games, could feel the tumult from the screaming, mostly pro-Canada crowd as he sped toward the lower reaches of the track.

"I think I felt them collectively get bummed out when I made the pass on Mike, but it is what it is," he said.

"It was different in (Turin) to hear them kind of erupt a little more, and I think it was maybe kind of the opposite emotion here."

Robertson's silver capped a good day on the mountain for the Canadians.

Rob Fagan of Cranbrook, B.C., won the consolation final to grab fifth place overall, Drew Neilson of nearby North Vancouver finished 11th and Francois Boivin of Jonquiere, Que., came 12th.

Robertson squeaked onto the Canadian Olympic team last month when he finished fifth in the final qualifier at Stoneham, Que. Nagging injuries slowed him over the last year.

Ranked 10th on the World Cup tour, he wasn't touted as a medal favourite in the event.

Fagan said the quiet approach is what works for Robertson.

"He's a very cool cat," Fagan said.

"He's very mellow, you wonder if he's even remotely in the room. He's off in his own little world, and I think it works for big events. He knows how to not get caught up in everything."

But Robertson found himself in a final that produced new elements of a Canada-U.S. rivalry that has been playing out on Cypress since the start of the Games.

Taking into account the medals won on the nearby moguls course, the Americans now have four medals on the peak compared to Canada's three.

As the riders stood in the start gate before the final, chants of "Canada, Canada" from the grandstand barely muffled the shouts of "Holland, Holland" from a horde of American fans.

From the beginning of the race, Robertson and Holland were out in front, jostling side by side for a long stretch of the race.

"I don't think it was dirty racing, I just think it was aggressive racing and it was good fun," said Robertson, who eventually pulled away from Holland.

Holland was setting up to pass Robertson on the straightaway after Turn 4.

"I was going toe to toe with Robertson for a gold medal," he said.

"It's not the best light up there and I didn't see the hole and just spun out."

Holland said he was fired up by Wescott's burst to win gold.

"Wescott's a clutch, pressure guy," Holland said.

"When you're back there you start taking a little bit more risks.

"He took some inside lines that hadn't been done all day and he stuck them."

Robertson, draped in a Canadian flag after the race, said he made a costly mistake late in the race.

"I just kind of missed a jump near the bottom and Seth rode it well and was able to pass me," said Robertson, who caught up to Wescott near the finish line, but lost by a few metres.

"I didn't know it was Wescott until I saw him beside me, and I said, 'Aw, Jeez, he's winning two golds.' "

The Canadian and U.S. boardersrossers exchanged friendly jabs at their opening Olympic news conferences last week.

Holland started things by telling reporters that Canadians can "own the podium" if they want, but the Americans were going to rent it for a month. He was referring to the $117-million program aimed at helping Canada win the most medals at the Winter Games

Neilson answered back later that day when asked about Holland's comment.

"We've been training hard, we've had lots of support and we're really well prepared, so that rent will be unaffordable as far as I'm concerned," he said.

On Sunday, Holland called out the Canadian boarders for wearing snowpants that looked to be too tight, which he said could give them an edge.

There are no FIS rules that govern the fit of pants in snowboard cross, but he said Canada's snug uniform pushed the limits of a gentlemen's agreement.

"I don't think my pants are that skinny," Robertson said after the Olympic final.

"We tease each other, or whatever you want to call it, but it's all in good fun.

"We'll have a beer later and it'll all be good."

Heavy rain and warm temperatures in recent weeks damaged the Cypress course and snow had to be trucked in. While the boarders said the conditions were less than optimal, they insisted they could ride in just about anything.

The weather also forced organizers to close the general admission section of the snowboard venue Monday. The area, propped up by straw bales, was deemed unsafe because too much of the snow had melted off the top.

-with a file from James Bisson.
http://www.680news.com/sports/article/27188--canadian-mike-robertson-wins-silver-in-olympic-snowboard-cross-nail-biter
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 05:28:37 pm »

Maelle Ricker of vancouver b.c canada, 2010 new gold olympic champion in snow boarding, yes'

Keith,
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 07:00:11 am »

“Support Our Troops” slogan falls foul of Olympic rules

Trouble is brewing over United States ice hockey goalie Jonathan Quick and the “Support Our Troops” slogan on his helmet. Slogans of this sort are banned under Olympic rules and Quick will be told to remove it, the International Ice Hockey Federation has told Reuters.

Ryan Miller has also been told to remove the slogan “Miller Time” from his helmet while the third American netminder Tim Thomas had already placed a sticker over a slogan on his mask for the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

IOC rules forbid political propoganda or advertisements being placed on equipment. “If the players don’t agree with the interpretation they can ask the USOC (United States Olympic Committee) to petition the IOC.”

Miller said he had agreed to remove “Miller Time”, which is also a popular beer company slogan, but might fight to keep “Matt Man”, a tribute to a dead friend from being taken off his helmet.

What do you think? Should athletes be allowed to carry personal or political messages on their clothing or equipment at the Olympic Games? Or is the IOC right to keep such messages out of the Games?

Comments welcome…

http://blogs.reuters.com/olympics/2010/02/16/support-our-troops-slogan-falls-foul-of-olympic-rules/
Report Spam   Logged
Jennifer O'Dell
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 11:33:35 am »

Great job keeping track of this, Keith, is there any metal tally yet?  I hear that Germany is in the lead, the U.S. in second...
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 04:56:19 pm »

Great job keeping track of this, Keith, is there any metal tally yet?  I hear that Germany is in the lead, the U.S. in second...

Thanks Jennifer,

I am also on facebook chatting with family and friends about the olympics. I am posting here as I get informed as well. I am going to the swiss and canada game thursday on the advice of a friend.. its like spring out here and its not as bad as criticized by the media world wide, u.k is the biggest negative critics of the winter 2010 olympics .. everyone is having fun here in the streets.. sure there is the warm weather but what can you do if its a warm year thats natural? And breaking down of the zimbois, bumpy and slushy ski conditions and the unfortunate accident tobogganing.. there is still a long way to go before the olympics is over...   

I will post the stats later in the week because its changing daily.. right now I am beat... from being out in this nice weather.

Keith,   

Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 06:20:11 pm »

19 injured at Olympic concert

(AFP) – 7 hours ago

VANCOUVER — Nineteen people were injured when a barricade near the stage collapsed at a Vancouver venue offering free shows during the Winter Olympics, dealing another blow to the troubled Games.

The accident happened Tuesday evening when the crowd surged forward as Canadian band Alexisonfire came on stage.

The band stopped playing immediately and the concert was cancelled.

LiveCity Yaletown venue manager Penny Ballem said all the people were treated on site, where doctors, nurses, and paramedics were present, and nine were then taken to hospital, mostly for minor injuries.

"Safety at LiveCity Vancouver is our primary concern, and the response of Live Nation, our producer, was immediate," Ballem said in a statement.

"When the incident occurred, everyone acted quickly, professionally, and took appropriate action.

"The security and on-site emergency medical response teams provided immediate assistance and care, the band kept people calm, and the crowd dispersed safely."

LiveCity Yaletown is one of two major live sites in downtown Vancouver offering free nightly performances to coincide with the Winter Olympics.

Ballem said the barricades used were standard for large concert venues and festival environments, adding that it was "unprecedented" in their experience for such a failure to occur.

"We sincerely regret that individuals were injured at David Lam Park," she said.

"The city is gratified that the response was quick and professional, and relieved that the injuries are not serious.

"Finally, I want to thank the members of Alexisonfire and Live Nation for their quick action to ensure the safety of all involved."

The organising committee of the Vancouver Games, VANOC, said the incident was handled well.

"The city of Vancouver felt that it was well handled by the paramedics and the emergency personnel on site," said spokeswoman Renee Smith-Valade, without giving any further insights.

Concerts are due to resume at the site Wednesday evening.

The Vancouver Games has been plagued by problems, with weather woes forcing delays to key events while thousands of tickets for snowboard and freestyle skiing were cancelled due to safety issues for spectators.

They got off to the worst possible start when Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili was tragically killed in a training run last week.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g38iQUh6V7DoLGhMJXxb_Fxt-ViA
Report Spam   Logged
Secret Thunder

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 09:40:19 pm »

This Olympics is being tainted by a lot of tragedy.
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 11:59:12 pm »

This Olympics is being tainted by a lot of tragedy.

Yeah' its like "Murphy's Law'' around here in vancouver b.c, what can go wrong will go wrong, almost it seems?
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 12:11:44 am »

Keith, have you heard how that girl is that they took away in the helicopter?  From the downhill skiing?
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: