Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 07:17:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Underwater caves off Yucatan yield three old skeletons—remains date to 11,000 B.C.
http://www.edgarcayce.org/am/11,000b.c.yucata.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What is Justice?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Justice?  (Read 405 times)
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 21, 2007, 03:42:00 am »

Here is a question that (were I to have my way), everyone in the entire forum would have be obligated to answer. And the question, like others asked here, is as old as time itself. For your answers to it will speak volumes about the types of people we all are. There is no right and wrong to this question. Human beings decide what is right and wrong, and, as we see all too often here, that answer differs immeasurably by the person.

What is justice?

Allow me to use a metaphor to better gain an answer to that question.

The thing that you love more than anything else in the world, was just killed - it could be a spouse, a child, something you own, or some ability unique to you. It is your reason for living, your soulmate, the very essence of your existence.

Would you:

1. Forgive the murderer and try and understand?
2. Let the law handle it?
3. Take matters into your own hands, seek justice yourself?
4. Neither forgive, nor seek vengeance, but accept that bad things happen in an oftentimes cruel world, simply struggle on?

As I said, your answers to this will speak volumes about the types of people we all are. Here come into play all the subjects we have covered in the past, each of our own versions of morality, out concepts of both good and evil, our ideas of love, and what matters most in existence.

Is it better to forgive or to seek revenge? Is it better to depend on others to get the satisfaction we crave, work within our established legal system, or is it better to engage in vigilantism?

Christianity preaches forgiveness, to turn the other cheek, and yet, how many of us could do that really if the thing in practice if that thing we loved most was taken from us?

This is a wholly interactive topic and once again, I encourage everyone to participate.
Let each of us define our idea of, “justice.”
Report Spam   Logged

"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jake

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 04:49:11 am »

Justice is the application of your "morales" onto a situation that involves other beings. There is no correct justice. The concept itself is as flawed as the difference between black and white. People do not have the ability to objectively judge anything. Therefore there can be no real justice.

Jake
Report Spam   Logged
Majeston

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:25:00 am »

author=Jake link=topic=24.msg9171#msg9171 date=1176889751]
Justice is the application of your "morales" onto a situation that involves other beings. There is no correct justice. The concept itself is as flawed as the difference between black and white. People do not have the ability to objectively judge anything. Therefore there can be no real justice.

Jake

I surmise that your grades in philosophy were about equal to those in your spelling class Jake.

Perhaps you should take a break from posting and apply that time to some study of greater minds and thoughts.
Report Spam   Logged

"melody has power a whole world to transform."
Forever, music will remain the universal language of men, angels, and spirits.
Harmony is the speech of Havona.

http://mercy.urantia.org/papers/paper44.html
Jake

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 10:30:03 am »

This topic was presented just about 3 months ago. I am new to this forum and I decided to post my opinion on the subject. After all that is what we are supposed to do here, if I am not mistaken.

I am so far the only one to address the question "What is Justice", other than Ms. Moline, who invisioned the topic.

For my trouble I recieved not and intellectual rebuke of my ideas, but rather a blatant attack on my (obvious) inability to spell, my mind, and my thoughts.

I sincerly hope that this kind of lower vibrational reply is not the norm.

Please, those of you who can itterate your thoughts on the matter of "Justice" please do so.

Jake
Report Spam   Logged
Adrienne
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 10:49:18 am »

Hi Jake,

Don't pay any attention to negativity, you will find that in any forum (and everyone her misspells things occasionally, so don't worry about that either).

There is no right ot wrong to these questions, it simply comes down to an individual's personal preference.  We have laws, but people are the ones that made the laws to begin with and are also the ones to change them as we see fit.

Personally, in the above situation (cited by Dawn), I would allow the law the first chance to handle it, and, if I thought they handled it poorly, would probably take matters in my own hands.  We are only human, and we can only take so much

Adrienne
Report Spam   Logged

"In a monarchy, the king is law, in a democracy, the law is king."
-Thomas Paine
Jake

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 02:52:21 am »

I think that Hank Williams Jr. spells out that view point quite well with his song "I got Rights"  Smiley

Jake

Report Spam   Logged
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 01:15:22 am »

Is justice a concept best left to governments to decide, or are each of us perfectly capable of deciding what is justice for ourselves?

I think it best not to hold blind faith in authority.

When governments become awash in corruption, when human beings often become victims themselves of the system designed to protect them, then we had best learn to decide for ourselves what "justice" is, lest we become victims of the governments' concept of justice ourselves.

Cheers,

Dawn
Report Spam   Logged

"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 12:47:27 am »

The only real justice is the kind that humans don't have a say in.
It's only my opinion.
 "Let he/she without sin, cast the first stone"......

And with that said, no one is worthy of deciding anothers fate.

Smiley This is because nobody is perfect...
Justice or Justification thereof is undefinable because of this reason.
The word goverment simply means organized justification to commit murder for wealth, and power.
Politics is a word that describes how these people use mere sentences to entice others for support, while enslaving the world with meaningless promices and currency that's made of even less to back it.

Yet daily, crime is commited because of these things.
Finally in the end, someone gets to play God and bring forth a punishment for these crimes for only those who weren't as fortunate as those better liars at the other end of the hypocracy in play.

Now were in all that is the justice?
Oh yeah, justice does exist.
It just hasn't happened yet.

But it will!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: