Atlantis Online
October 23, 2020, 03:41:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?
Research suggests our ancestors traveled the oceans 70,000 years ago
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20-did-humans-colonize-the-world-by-boat
 
  Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

European Megalithic Culture


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: European Megalithic Culture  (Read 15695 times)
Robin Barquenast
Superhero Member
******
Posts: 4605



« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 10:26:51 pm »

Condition in 1766
The state of the site was recorded in 1766 by Henry Rowland in Mona Antiqua Restaurata.


“ There are six upright free stones, from three to six feet broad, of various heights and shapes, fixed about six feet from each other in a semicircular form, and two within, where the earth is very black, mixed with ashes and oak-charcoal. It is apprehended the circle was originally complete, and twenty-seven feet in diameter; for there is the appearance of holes where stones have been, and also of two single stones, one standing ecst of the circle, at about five or six yards distance, and the other at the same distance from that.
A little west of the above stones are two rough, square tapering stones 4ft. 3in. broad and 2ft. thick, standing at the north and south angles of a kind of artificial stone cave or chest. This is paved with broken pieces of stones about 2 1/2 inches thick, overlaying some pounded whitestone about six inches deep; two inches of the upper part of which are tinged with black, supposed from ashes falling through the pavement which was covered with them and oak-charcoal about two inches thick, along with several pieces of burnt bones. The sides of the cave, if I may so call it, were composed of two unhewn stones about 18 feet in length, six in height and fourteen inches thick at a medium. Each of them is now broken in two.

There is a partition stone across the place, about five feet and a half high, and six inches thick. A circular hole is cut through this stone, about nineteen inches and a half in diameter.

There remains another place of the same construction but smaller and without any inward partition, about 55 yards distance from this. It is 2 1/2 yards long, 2 1/2 feet broad and 3ft. 2in. high. There is also part of another.

There was a large heap of stones that covered the whole, 120 yards long and 12 yards broad. These stones have been taken away from time to time by masons and other people for various purposes. And in the year 1764 several hundred loads were carried away for making a turnpike road about 60 yards from this place, which laid it open for examination.
 ”
—Henry Rowland, Mona Antiqua Restaurata.[3]

 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum
Powered by SMF | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Privacy Policy