Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:31:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ancient Underwater City Found on Caribbean Sea Floor

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Underwater City Found on Caribbean Sea Floor  (Read 14766 times)
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2010, 12:48:06 am »

Wink

Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2010, 09:36:18 am »

Yes - Elias posted it on page 3 of this thread.
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2010, 09:47:30 am »

Note the co-ordinates for this shot.

Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2010, 09:51:58 am »

I have now gone to a higher elevation so as to get both locations into the shot.  The original location, and the one I just posted that appears red.  I have not done anything to these pictures, they are screen shots.  In other words, when I'm in Google Earth I click on File, then on Save and save the picture on screen.  My location is 2 miles west and a tad south from the original location.

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2010, 10:20:40 am »

Here is another screen shot two and a half miles from the original co-ordinates:

Here, once again, I've gone to a higher altitude to show the two locations in one picture.  Note:  the "shaded" area is not caused by a perfectly straight edged cloud.  It is how Google Earth pastes their pieces together.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:24:15 am by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2010, 10:47:58 am »

For those of you who don't have Google Earth, I've gone to a higher elevation in the same original area, and took a screen shot so you can see the different patch work that Google uses to "sew" it's pictures together.  There's different colors of patches, greens, blues, grays, browns etc.  Sometimes, they get them in totally the wrong spot.  Their newest thing is the little white lines you see in the upper left corner of this shot.  When you zoom in close, those lines actually undulate as if you are watching moving water.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:51:17 am by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Jennifer Murdoch
Superhero Member

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2010, 11:05:58 am »

Yeah, no offense, but I think you're missing the point, Qoais. If the people of Pepillo Salcedo are saying there's an underwater city there, and there are all these satellite pix, doesn't that mean it mean there might be an underwater city there?

Nobody has said it is Atlantis (in fact, the first article says they didn't think it was), but it could be one of the isles of Antillia, which Columbus was looking for.
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2010, 12:40:48 pm »

No offense taken Jennifer.  As I said, I still have hope that Atlantis will be found even though intellectually I don't think it existed in reality.  What I was doing with these posted pictures, was just showing that people have been fooled by Google Earth before and it's possible this is not an underwater anything.  There's a 50/50 chance isn't there?  But until someone does the dive, we will have to hold our breath.  If it was that shallow, and the natives already knew about it, I think it would have been "found" before now.  I mean, if, like they say, there's tops of buildings, why wouldn't anyone have mentioned this a long time ago?

If Columbus was at this location as given, he was already on the island and had found what he was looking for.  The island is still there.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:48:49 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Jennifer Murdoch
Superhero Member

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2010, 01:04:36 pm »

Sure, I get it, but Haiti/the Dominican Republic has been ignored by the world for a long time, so I am not surprised it hasn't been found. Andrew Collins thinks that the Cuban region was Atlantis, maybe the whole area was above water at one time?  You never know.
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2010, 02:30:17 pm »

Andrew Collins - interesting person that he is - is no more cognizant of Atlantis that you or I or anyone in this forum.  It just so happens, he writes books about what he thinks, and gets them published.  He also writes books about UFO's  but it hasn't been proven yet that they exist - hence of course the term.  Unidentified F O's.  He has no credentials to make him an expert on anything.  He's just a guy that wrote a book.  He has no PhD in anything qualifying him in any field of expertise. 

Andrew Collins (born 1957) is an author with an interest in the paranormal.
After an uneventful school career, in which he was banned from taking the English O-level exam because of his poor writing ability, Collins eagerly accepted a position working as an export shipping clerk in London. His childhood interest in the mysteries of life eventually led to him becoming a UFO investigator, whereby he would visit witnesses to strange phenomena and then file reports with national organisations. In 1976 he became a familiar figure in the embryonic punk movement, forming his own band and going to gigs with the likes of novelist and NME writer Tony Parsons and Irish pal Shane McGowan, who went on to form legendary Irish folk-rock band The Pogues. At the same time, Collins continued to investigate UFO cases, including the now famous Aveley abduction, the first full-blown time-loss UFO experience ever reported on British soil. It brought him into contact with psychologist and writer Graham Phillips, who was then working as a parapsychologist studying the psychological profile of witnesses to the paranormal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Collins_(author)

Here's a link to his web site.  He is a psychic quester.   What amazes me is, he supposedly finds things with psychic talent, but can't find evidence of Atlantis which he says is offshore from Cuba. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:41:13 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Jennifer Murdoch
Superhero Member

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2010, 01:09:21 pm »

He doesn't need credentials, he is a very thorough researcher, and he also uncovered the underground caverns at Giza last summer. His theory on Cygnus has also gotten a lot of support.

If all the finds concerning Atlantis have to come from an accredited academic, you are going to be waiting a longgggg time.  Academics don't believe in it.

They didn't believe in Troy either, until amateur archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann found it.
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2010, 12:28:32 am »

Well sweetie, the world has been waiting for over 2000 years already, I guess another few hundred won't hurt.  I know who Andrew Collins is, as well as his friends Greg and Lora Little and a few others.  I'm not putting them down, I admire what they do.    I totally envy them that they can actually get out there and do the physical research.  The only reason I point out the lack of credentials is because in the scientific world, a lot of stuff is not accepted if it's not done by an accredited person.  I agree that Atlantis could be found by anyone.  Anyone at all.  Especially if they show proof.  Not everyone agrees that the town Schliemann found was the Troy of the Iliad and Odyssey.  It may just have been a coastal town and had nothing to do with the story.  A lot of people don't even believe the Iliad and Odyssey are true stories. 
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Jennifer Murdoch
Superhero Member

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2010, 01:08:23 pm »

Not everyone agrees that the town Schliemann found was the Troy of the Iliad and Odyssey. 

The majority of archaeologists and historians agree that this was Troy, but that does raise a point about Atlantis, though. Namely this:  what actually constitutes Atlantis? Obviously, we aren't going to find a sunken continent laying on the ocean, that is impossible, continents can't sink.

Islands, cities and portions of islands have sunk, though, which is what may be what is going on here. Collins is a great researcher. I reject that the only finds that should be taken seriously are by accredited academics. They simply aren't interested in looking for Atlantis.
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2010, 02:04:56 pm »

Actually, Jennifer, I agree with you,  Grin but I've taken such a s_it kicking in other forums when I don't back up what I say with valid research that I'm careful now.  What one "believes" is not allowed as factual proof of anything!!  Personally, I believe in a lot of things that are considered "fringe", but so what?  It's mine to believe, or not, and inside of me I just feel that what I believe is correct.  

I believe we have a super-conscious that operates when we are asleep and I believe in astral travel.  I believe the Tibetan monks have worked for centuries enlightening themselves with knowledge that is gained through the method of astral travel, and/or group consciousness or whatever one wants to call it.  I don't think that everything has to be scientifically proven before I accept it to be real and valid.  

There are things in this world, that I don't think can be explained in the orthodox fashion, or perhaps I could say that to me, orthodoxy is not always right.  In another forum, I was being given a really bad time because I was not accepting the theory of evolution as it was being explained to me.  These people were scientists, and got terribly upset when I said it wasn't logical to me, and that there had to be something more to it.  Well, I came across an article that just about made me cry with happiness, because after all that crap, it turns out I had every right to listen to my inner voice, super-conscious, or whatever.  It's an article about Horizontal Gene Transfer.  Now that may sound boring to some, but when you're looking for the beginnings of life and you go up against the big boys who are entrenched in the old orthodox ideas, you have to be prepared.  I just wish I would have found the article sooner.  http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527441.500-horizontal-and-vertical-the-evolution-of-evolution.html?full=true

It turns out evolution is not how they were trying to force feed me it was even though I'm sure they knew about this Horizontal Gene Transfer all the while, since it was discovered by the same eminent dude who discovered the Archaea (in biology).  

I do admire people like Collins who have the brains AND the money, that allows them to research their interests in real time.  No, the discovery of Atlantis would definitely not have to be done by an accredited person.   More fun if they're just an average Joe anyway.  I'd love to see it happen, and we could thumb our noses at the orthodox stiff necks.
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Jennifer Murdoch
Superhero Member

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2010, 01:18:13 pm »

Hi Qoais, you have to stay away from those skeptic forums, most of which seem dedicated towards sucking all the fun out of life!

I believe in aliens, reincarnation, Atlantis, God, angels, the devil, ghosts, all that.  By the same token, I also believe in science and evolution, too.  Here's how I look at it: both archaeology and science don't know half as much as they pretend to know and tend to make things up as they go along, cause they figure they have to have an explanation for everything.  Today's science fiction is tomorrow's science fact, right?  That's why I cut Andrew Collins and these Atlantis discoveries a little slack. It will be found someday (Atlantis).  Absence of evidence is not in itself, evidence, but 10,000 years (or however long it was) is a long time for something to get buried in the muck of the ocean.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: