Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 12:09:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?
Research suggests our ancestors traveled the oceans 70,000 years ago
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20-did-humans-colonize-the-world-by-boat

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ancient Underwater City Found on Caribbean Sea Floor

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Underwater City Found on Caribbean Sea Floor  (Read 14775 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2010, 04:27:19 pm »

Problem is, this is swamp.  This is not at all what the pictures look like of where this city is supposed to be in the beautiful green water.
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2010, 04:36:35 pm »

Screen shot of exact co-ordinates.  All that I see is the digial mess Google makes when they show water.

Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2010, 10:06:16 pm »

I am kinda suspicious of this finding cause scientists that supposedly discovered this area, are not forth coming of who they are? I think I will take a back seat to this find, until more information is put forward.. I am no hurry.

Keith,
Report Spam   Logged
Colossus of Rhodes
Superhero Member

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2010, 10:27:26 pm »

Excellent work getting this, Qoais.  You have managed to reproduce the original undoctored images right from Google Earth.  I disagree that it doesn't show anything.  Beneath the mapping lines, you can still make out the outlines of a city.
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2010, 10:24:25 am »

Hi Colossus
I take it you don't have Google Earth?  You can see lines like this everywhere there is water with Google Earth.  It used to be worse, but they've changed their format a bit, and it's not so bad now, but back when they first started out, these digital lines were everywhere.  I'll go back in my pictures and post one that nikas posted back in the day when we were chatting in Robert Sarmast's forum, and he insisted HIS picture was a sunken city in the Western Med.

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2010, 10:26:37 am »

Even though cities are usually set up in "squares" there should be areas where there are not exact right angles, say because the city followed a river or something and the road curved.  You will not see any curves in the screen shots of water in Google Earth.  Because they are just digital lines, not an actual picture of the sea floor.
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Colossus of Rhodes
Superhero Member

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2010, 11:39:39 am »

Hi Colossus
I take it you don't have Google Earth?  You can see lines like this everywhere there is water with Google Earth.  It used to be worse, but they've changed their format a bit, and it's not so bad now, but back when they first started out, these digital lines were everywhere.  I'll go back in my pictures and post one that nikas posted back in the day when we were chatting in Robert Sarmast's forum, and he insisted HIS picture was a sunken city in the Western Med.

I totally disagree with that, Qoais. The map making lines you are referring to are a gridlike pattern of the type you see (such as in the Atlantis off Morocco red herring presented by Google Earth last year).  Well, you can see some of that in there, but the whole pattern isn't an anomaly of grid patterns.  The images you presented are similar to the ones on page two, by the way.

I am convinced by the articles I have read of this, and by Greg Little's opinion as well, that there is something to this. From what I have read of your posts, you don't seem to be a believer in Atlantis at all, that is your right, but I think that skepticism tends to color your opinion of any developments when it comes to Atlantis.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
no thing

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2010, 12:44:07 pm »

Google maps also show the ‘eye elevation’ (your perspective above whatever you are looking at), as well as an ‘elevation’ (to the surface of the earth, where a negative elevation represents a location below sea level). At an eye elevation of approximately 300 feet, it is easy to compare a house on the adjacent land (at the coordinates 19°41'51.08"N  71°44'24.42"W) to the size of the ‘city’ structures (at the coordinates 19 42'04.74N 71 43'15.20W). The ‘city’ structures must be VERY SMALL.

Also, the elevation of the ‘city’ is 0 (zero) feet, or a POSITIVE reading (i.e. above sea level). Scanning the cursor over the area reveals that it is very shallow, and DOES NOT look like a good area for a ‘sunken city’. If you do scan over the open ocean, you do see a negative elevation, so this area is not even really under water.

ILAL

no thing
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2010, 08:23:48 pm »

Hi Colossus
It took me three years of intensive study to conclude that Atlantis as Plato described it, did not exist.  His story as far as I'm concerned, is a compilation of information of events he knew and stories he'd heard about.  I did not think, three years ago, in fact was very adamant at the time, that Atlantis did exist.  However, I've covered just too much ground since then, and intellectually, one cannot match up Plato's information to make a complete picture.  At least, not with the scientific information we have today.  I'm still hoping for something to be discovered though, I haven't totally given up hope.

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2010, 08:28:48 pm »

This is another picture from Google in the water as well.  It's just lighter in color but it's still just the digital lines.
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Hand of Fate
Superhero Member

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2010, 10:58:27 pm »

It is actually irrelevant whether anyone believes in Atlantis or not, the city will either be prove to be real or not.  We'll just have to wait for the archaeology.
Report Spam   Logged
Condor1

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2010, 11:25:10 pm »

Has anyone read this latest article on this?

http://beyondthecurtain.wordpress.com/2009/12/14/previously-undiscovered-ancient-city-found-on-caribbean-sea-floor/

Yan Langenakens (07:35:56) :

Living in the Dominican Republic I can confirm that de sunken city in Pepillo Salcedo is not a hoax.

We were made aware of it by local fishermen about one year ago and poled the lake of Carbonera with them We have since made many trips to the area to find out more
The lake of Carbonera ( 19 39 15 52 N / 71 42 44 71 W ) is a shallow expanse of fresh water fed by the Massacre river.
Local fishermen make a living by catching shrimp in the lake using small flatbottom boats that are moved around by pushing a bamboo pole. In about the middle of the lake exists an area that the locals call ” la Penia ” or the rock.
The area got its name because at this place it is impossible to anker their boat by fixing their pole in the mud. The bamboo pole hits a hard surface at about a depth of one and a half meters.
Poling the surrounding area one can delimit a flat expanse 30 meters long and about 10 meters wide ( the pole sinks to the same depth ) covered by half a meter of mud.
As the rules concerning sub terrean and sub aquatic exploration in the Dominican Republic are very strict we set up a local Dominican non profit organisation to aply for all the necessary permits in order to start excavation
We welcome everybody interested in these matters to join us and are willing to share all information we already possess.
Everybody who possesses Google earth can check the existence of the city for himself
The most dramatic view has the following coordinates
19 42 04 74 N ; 71 43 15 20 W
Find the location, zoom in rotate and tilt you will clearly see huge platforms of several buildings, and a breakline with part of the structure sloping up towards the mangrove. The mangrove litterally started to grow on the highest and exposed parts of the structure
Report Spam   Logged
Condor1

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2010, 11:25:45 pm »

The city is very huge and covers the complete valley of the Massacre river
It extends from Montecristi to Cap Haïtien on the other side of the border, and goes inland as far as Dajabon in the south extending beyond the Siete Hermanos ( a group of islands ) in the North.
A possible explanation : ancient maps contain drawings of an island in the Atlantic Ocean called Antillia, the island of the (legendary) seven cities.
Columbus is said to have possesed such a map ( portulan ) when he set out on his journey.
Atlantis went down in several phases, during the last phase 12 islands are said to have stayed above the water. Antillia was one of them
It is possible that hispaniola ( Haïti + Dominican Republic ) is a remnant of Antillia and the sunken city of Pepillo Salcedo one of the seven cities.
If the above hunch is correct one should not be surprised that another sunken city will turn up under the mangrove swamps in the Dominican Republic in the area of Los Haitises for example ( ishtmus of Samana )
So the sunken city of Pepillo Salcedo could have something to do with Atlantis in its last phase of development.
How do we want to proceed from here ?
While waiting to obtain all the necessary permits ( and this can take a very long time in the Carribean ) to excavate we started to make a survey of possible excavation sites.
The google sattelite maps that cover the area are not very recent, the topography of the area has changed during the last 20 years.
When one compares the maps with the actual situation in the field, one realises that the many places that are flooded on the google maps are now dry land, in other words it must be possible to get to some part of the ruins without getting ones feet wet. About one to one and a half meters of mud covers the ruins that are under water, once the area is dried up one should be able to get to the ruins after digging away one to one and a half meters of dried mud in some carefully selected sites
To find these sites we plan to fly camera equiped model planes over the area
It is indeed a well known fact that subterrean structures can show up in areal photography of cropped fields during draught periods due to the differential uptake of water and minerals by the plants.
Involve the governments of both the Dominican Republic and Haïti
The area of Pepillo Salcedo and on the other side of the border Cap Haïtien belong to the poorest parts of Hispaniola. It is obvious that if the sunken city turns out to be what we expect that part of Hispaniola will suddenly gain world attention. Excavating the area could not only give work to hunderds of local people but would also be a huge boost to the local tourist industry which is currently lagging behind because of want of infrastructure and tourist attractions.
We do not yet have professional archeologists in our team, anybody interested ?
We can be contacted at :
yanlangenakens@hotmail.com
Tel : 809 ( Dominican Republic ) 867 19 37
Report Spam   Logged
Condor1

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2010, 11:27:21 pm »

It makes sense that it would be in shallow water, off he coast.  That's where most underwater cities are.
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2010, 12:11:20 am »

Wink

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: