Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 12:07:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS IN CUBA
A Report by Andrew Collins
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/atlantiscuba.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Woman faces charges for kissing painting

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman faces charges for kissing painting  (Read 352 times)
Penny
Superhero Member

« on: July 22, 2007, 02:08:13 am »

Woman faces charges for kissing painting

A visitor observes a group of paintings by Cy Twombly that are on display in Pompidou Centre in 2004. A French woman faces prosecution for criminal damage after planting a kiss on a painting by the American artist Cy Twombly, leaving the imprint of her lipstick on the otherwise immaculate white canvas.(AFP/File/Pierre Verdy)

MARSEILLE, France - A woman has been arrested on suspicion of kissing a painting by American artist Cy Twombly and smudging the bone-white canvas with her lipstick, French judicial officials said Saturday.

Police said they arrested the woman after she kissed the work on Thursday. She is to be tried in a court in the southern city of Avignon on Aug. 16 for "damage to a work of art," judicial officials said.

The painting, which is worth an estimated $2 million, was on display at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Avignon. It is part of an exhibition slated to run at the museum through Sept. 30. Officials did not provide further details on the painting.

Twombly is known for his abstract paintings combining painting and drawing techniques, repetitive lines and the use of graffiti, letters and words.

Born in Lexington, Va., in 1928, Twombly has lived in Italy for nearly a half- century. He won the prestigious Golden Lion award at the Venice Biennale in 2001.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 02:16:17 am »

The museum should have had  it encased in glass.
Report Spam   Logged
rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 01:41:01 pm »

My husband was a painter and someone defaced a painting of his in a gallery show once......scrawled F//K YOU across it.   The gallery owner was a friend and it was devastating....

Later on a homeless woman came in and walked around mumbling....and said she had done it and apologized!!!

People have always had a huge emotional connection with art... and sometimes it is negative....

I don't care for Cy Twombley's stuff....  but this woman sounds like she loves it.   Graffitti is a form that is interesting...sometimes it relates directly to the "canvas" it is applied to, sometimes not... His use of graffitti in his work must have seemed a powerful invitation to her!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 01:48:46 pm by rockessence » Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
Penny
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 03:24:30 pm »

I agree with Volitzer, it should have been encased in something. People do have an attachment with art! 

Having said that, I can't see how lipstick on a Twombly would have made much of a difference.  Look at it, he's apparently into the abstract.  I would never have noticed it myself.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: