Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:46:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Mystery of Music

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Mystery of Music  (Read 574 times)
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 21, 2007, 03:38:32 am »

With the advent of the new year, I would to start the year with the discussion of a subject that we have barely touched on here: music. Whatever world we have made for ourselves here, I think we are all in agreement that it would be a much poorer place without music. I would like to explore the mystery of how music first entered the world, what the ancient cultures listened to, the evolution of music throughout the 20th Century, but since I like to put people first, I'd like to also ask of everyone these questions:

*What kind of music do you listen to?

*Do you have a favorite artist?

*Music is linked to memories. What songs evoke the strongest memories for you, and why?

*What sort of music do you hate?

*Is music a danger to the young, as some might suggest?

*Does music ever incite one to violence?
Report Spam   Logged

"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 03:39:01 am »

I'll go first this time. These days, my tastes run more to classical, to me, good classical music is, at times, an apex of art and science meeting together, a music that stirs the soul.

But, like most people, I had my Elvis and Beatles phase.

I grew up with a lot of those 1980's bands.

And, once upon a time, I had a huge crush on Michael Hutchence of INXS, and was terribly crushed when he died. When something like that happens, it's almost as if a part of your youth dies, too.

Music evokes the brightest of memories. It is only with the passing of time that we get a better grasp of it's meaning. I hear the song, "Stairway to Heaven" now as I first did back when I was a child, and yet, it seems to mean so much more these days. It makes me think, and it works in so many different ways.

So, this time, no bickering over beliefs, personalities, likes & dislikes. Let us have a celebration of music, if each of you are game.

Cheers,

Dawn

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Jacob1919

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 08:45:05 pm »

omgoodness, HAHA! i just noticed the kissing smiley,  Kiss , that is awesome.

I would say music "started" when someone realized a certain sound to mean something. Possibly the beginning's of speech. Other than that I's got nuttins.

all kinds. a smidge of classical and rap, but mostly contempory stuff, stuff since I've been pooping in this great big world of ours. Lately it's been The Crash Test Dummies and The Clash. I just discovered Dragonforce and I've been having eargasms ever since.

No, but I REALLY REALLY like several people. Brad Roberts from The Crash Test Dummies and Davey Havok from AFI, I adore. And there's others I'm sure.

*Music is linked to memories. What songs evoke the strongest memories for you, and why?
This is an awesome question. Ok, I'm gonna get all personal and stuff. I luvs me some Metallica. It was "my Metallica" in my teens, especially 13-15. I was an angry young man. And was up untill 4-5 years ago when I realized and learned certain things, I learned to say, "ah, **** it, it's not worth my time and energy hating all the "GOD-DAMNED IDIOT MOTHER-EFFERS!!" so I'm better now. I'm happy now.   Grin  So during the crappy years, 13-15, "Dyer's Eve" by Metallica was my theme song ("Dear Mother, Dear Father, what is this hell you have put me through?") and to this day it brings back unpleasant feelings that I thought to have gotten over, but I guess as long as I have the memories I will have the emotions linked to them and that's ok. I am at the best "place" in my life so far. And thats ****.  Cool

a linky to one of the best metal songs ever.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdOH0PLfa8o&mode=related&search=

There really isn't any music that I hate, just music that I would rather be listening to something else instead.

Yes, R. Kelly is a danger to the young.  Wink But seriousry it depends on the lyrical content. "Let's go and kill some people" is cool for me, 28, but not for a 14 or younger person.

I doubt it. I do not think that a rational normal person who would normally not inflict violence towards another peeple would inflict violence just because some dude from a german band said, "go kill your parents". If the person is prone to violent behaviour then a song may be the final straw, but so could a tv commercial do so if the person is that close anyways.

Damn look at me gettin all inteletkual and what not. I'ma stop now and go get a shot of vodka and thus more smartly.

Report Spam   Logged

I'm a pretty tree.
-me (and also the most original thing I have ever thought.)
Jacob1919

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 09:14:29 pm »

And, once upon a time, I had a huge crush on Michael Hutchence of INXS, and was terribly crushed when he died. When something like that happens, it's almost as if a part of your youth dies, too.

[thread hijack]
Dawn,
I felt that way too with Mitch Hedberg. He was a stand up comedian. At the time of his death I was getting semi-serious about creating good jokes and dreaming about being a stand-up "someday" and I was studying him, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin. And then I read that he'd deaded himself and it sucked big time. What a dick to do that to the world leaving us all non-Mitched.

Here's the man in question:

Here's a quick Mitchel joke:
"I saw this wino and he was eating some grapes, and I said, "Dude you have to wait."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 09:16:13 pm by Jacob1919 » Report Spam   Logged

I'm a pretty tree.
-me (and also the most original thing I have ever thought.)
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 09:54:47 pm »

Music is linked to memories. What songs evoke the strongest memories for you, and why?
This is an awesome question. Ok, I'm gonna get all personal and stuff. I luvs me some Metallica. It was "my Metallica" in my teens, especially 13-15. I was an angry young man. And was up untill 4-5 years ago when I realized and learned certain things, I learned to say, "ah, **** it, it's not worth my time and energy hating all the "GOD-DAMNED IDIOT MOTHER-EFFERS!!" so I'm better now. I'm happy now. 

I'm happy now, too!

Dang, Jacob, what a cool website!  I didn't know we could say "****" here.  You got to love a website where they let you do that.

I love Metallica, too, and, when I was a kid, also loved Nirvana. Speaking of suicides, I was so wiped out when Kurt Cobain killed himself.  The only thing that compared was when the lead singer of Alice in Chains was found dead in his apartment - I kept hoping those guys would get back together.

Funny, you never catch guys like Justin Timblerlake trying to commit suicide.  Won't say anything more about that.
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Daffy Duck

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 04:31:10 pm »

Funny, you never catch guys like Justin Timblerlake trying to commit suicide.  *Do you have a favorite artist?

lol.  It's a cruel world, indeed. Wink

Mostly metal and punk.  I like the high-energy, damn-the-torpedoes, full-speed-ahead, I'm pissed at the world aggression.  I really get a kick outta rockin' chick bands (note to Volitzer: not The Donnas), like L7.  But, my cd collection spans the entire spectrum; some country, oldies, pop, and classical.

Wow, there are so many.  I'll go with Vio-lence, but if I was answering this question yesterday, or tomorrow, I might pick someone else, ya know what I mean? 

Well, probably the entire Metallica "Master of Puppets" LP.  The New Year's after that came out, my one buddies played it over, and over, and over, and over all weekend.  Wore the grooves out of it, I think. Smiley  Anyway, since that all we heard all weekend, I 'liked' it (wasn't into this "heavy metal" until then).  The friend I rode with made a cassette tape of the LP, and we listened to that (over and over...) all the way home, too.  We especially got a big laugh out of the one line in the song "Damage, Inc." - blood follows blood and we make sure, life ain't for you and we're the cure. 

Opera - people go on and on about metal being just screaming - probably the same pretentious pricks that like opera (whick is just screaching).  Not a big fan of rap, either, but have been known to appreciate some of the more popular or racier (2 Live Crew) stuff.

Negative.  I see it (metal/punk, especially) as a release so I don't have to kill anyone. Smiley

Well, possibly.  Let's have a scientific study: lock Pagan in her room with only a Justin Timberlake CD playing, and observe her behavior vs. time. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
TomB

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 05:51:20 pm »

Everything and nothing.  Pretty much whatever's on the radio these days.  Occasionally I'll grab a cd, but not often.  Most recently I've popped in discs from Klaatu (obscure 70s Canadian prog group), Rush, Bowling for Soup, and Kansas.  There's not much out there at the moment that makes me want to buy the record.

I like classical, though I rarely listen to it.  I like marching bands a lot.  (I played trombone in HS.  My daughter plays flute.)  I like jazz in doses.  Metal, Punk, 70s progressive rock,  country in doses, old motown.

Depends on the day...  Beatles, Rush, Bowling For Soup, Kinks, Indigo Girls, Dire Straits, Iron Maiden....

I really don't link songs with memories.  Now, there are some songs that make me think of things, but it's because the song reminds me of something or someone.  But it's the subject matter of the song that does it, not because the song was playing or anything.

I don't particularly hate any type of music. 

There are things I dislike in music...10 minute guitar solos, solos for no reason other than to make a song longer (why I like punk), underproduced recording, overproduced recording, singers who growl rather than sing, singers who don't sing, singers who oversing.  But most of that is just my taste.

Music? No.

Lyrics?  Maybe.  Lyrics are words containing ideas.  Some ideas are bad and can lead to dangerous things.  This is where parents come in.  There are some things that are not apprpriate for some children.  Not so much because it's dangerous, but because children can learn that certain language or behavior is acceptable.

Music? No.
Lyrics, once again, are words.  Words can be used to incite crowds.  (Heck, that's the whole idea behind the protest song.)  But generally speaking you are not going to incite violence out of those who are not prone to violence in the first place.

Answer 2:
I hope not....
I'm a bass player.  I'm not currently playing in a band, but I've been working on some stuff with my brother.  Kinda sorta punk.  Pretty much stuff one or the other of us has written.  He's got songs about a stalker, and an internet voyeur.  I've got a song about someone going postal.  (All in the first person.)  So I certainly hope that if hell should freeze over, pigs fly, and Bob Dylan learn to sing and these end up on a CD that people buy that no one takes them as inspiration to emulate Charles Manson. 
Report Spam   Logged
rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 06:28:03 pm »

The first music that excited me.... I had my ear pasted to the wall separating my room from my brother's, listening to Lucille, Good Golly Miss Molly, and every other song of Little Richard!  I can attest to the deep resounding effect it had on me...I named my daughter Molly!  There was also Gene Vincent's Be-bop-a-lula, and then Elvis.....But I was overwhelmed by the Beatles and the strange conjunction of timing with hormone production!  Which meant I was PRIMED by the time I saw the Rolling Stones at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in 1964...They were all still practically teenagers.  YOWIEE!

As I matured I was into Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Van Morrison, as I was into the words primarily...  I never was into arena concertgoing like many that I knew.  The Rolling Stone experience was a pinnacle!  But in 1967 and 68 when I lived in San Francisco I went to the Fillmore and Avalon Ballrooms alot as my cousin was in a band that played the acid and pot venues.

Now I'm into classical mainly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 06:30:54 pm by rockessence » Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:54:03 pm »

U2 is totally timeless. And the odd thing is, that once I discovered their older stuff, that is what meant the most to me.  It's one thing to really rock. but when you write some truly meaningful lyrics that linger, that is the best.

I really admire Bono.  People constantly are saying that celebs shouldn't be promoting causes or getting involved in politics, but if you have that celebrity, what else is it good for but to take a stand for something, try to make a difference?

The flip side of that coin is Ted Nugent, can't stand him!
Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
Daffy Duck

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 05:15:39 pm »

TomB:

I've got a song about someone going postal.  (All in the first person.)

I'm having a serious time even fathoming that you, TomB, could write such a thing. Smiley

I'm picturing at least a happy ending....
Report Spam   Logged
TomB

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 11:38:46 pm »

The last line is:
"Lock and Load ready set go...it's time for the show"
 Smiley

Best line from any song...well ever:
Yes I wish I was as mellow
As for instance Jackson Browne
But "fountains of sorrow" my ass mother fucker
I hope you wind up in the ground
H.A.T.R.E.D. -Tonio K.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 05:32:38 pm »

Well i loved Metallica in my early teens and i still do (27) ,but i find that i just dont listen to Metallica very often at all anymore , i find myself recently, listening to Acoustic Blues ,i particularly like the Violin more and more , i have started to like classical music more too ,  the mystery to me is how our tastes change with our life , but that we still love the music of our youth despite not listening to it so much anymore ... or is that obvious?

While i am at it I may aswell plug some of my favs  ,:" Death Dont Have No Mercy " by Hot Tuna with Papa John Creach  ,,the Violin of Creach is awesome ...  ," Hurricane " - Bob Dylan  ,violin in that one too  ,,,what is it with the violin ?!!     ," Sonata No.8  for Violin and Piano Op.30 " Beethoven  .

i better stop there or there will be 100 recommendations b4 i know it...
Report Spam   Logged
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 02:16:06 am »

Yes, too bad we can't just add some sample tracks to this thread, then we could all have a listen.

As I mature, and grow more thoughtful, the more my taste in music seems to change.  I don't much listen to rock anymore, most of the rock I listened to seems like a mix of violence and angst.  Now, I tend to like what evokes the most emotion.  Life is somber business, for some odd reason, I need to be reminded of it.

Cheers,

Dawn
Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 01:28:51 pm »

Mt. Carmel dances of the 80's..
http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=31740
Don't disturb this groove- The System

Another Mt. Carmel dance song that lead to nice memories.
http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=36319
Love you down (origional)- Ready for the world

This song reminds me of a painful break up I had with my first love.
http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=3679
In the Air tonight- Phil Collins

This one reminds me of when young love was a good thing.
http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=26099
Take My Breath Away (origional) - Berlin

http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=66122
Funny how time flies- Janet Jackson

http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=1355
I'll make love to you- Boyz II Men

http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=16564
Faithfully- Journey

This song Reminds me of my life's quest for that one girl that I could call a soul-mate.
http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=18115
 Smiley This will help set the mood for romance.....
Now, for those of you who have never heard these songs. Better get a tissue ready.
These songs used to make the girls from my time cry.

When you want to feel like a fashion model.   LOL
Enigme- Mea Culpa
http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=23866
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:12:30 pm by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 01:40:09 pm »

This one reminds of every good-bye.

Kenny Rogers & Sheena Easton
We've got tonight

http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=23326

The next; Final Good-bye- rihanna
http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=53422
Reminds me of those times I had to remain strong enough to stay gone!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 01:44:11 pm by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: