Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 06:23:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plato's Atlantis: Fact, Fiction or Prophecy?
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CarolAnn_Bailey-Lloyd
http://www.underwaterarchaeology.com/atlantis-2.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Age of Mythology

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Mythology  (Read 446 times)
Devlin
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 08:17:29 pm »

Development

Following the announcement of the game for September 2002,[31] a trial version was released to the public.[32] This contained a shortened version of the campaign (5 scenarios) and 2 random maps. In the trial version, the player could select any of the nine gods.

Age of Mythology underwent a large amount of play testing during its developmental phase, as Ensemble Studios attempted to create a more balanced and competitive game than its predecessors. Greg T. Smith commented that one of the reasons Age of Mythology is so popular is because the development team spent many hours working on the game through active testing, rather than just taking advice from a "faceless drone in another building."[33]

There was much debate during Age of Mythologys construction concerning the unbalanced nature of god powers, and how to make them more balanced, whilst still leaving an element of fun in them.[34] It was concluded that the best way to make it fair for everyone was to limit the use of god powers to one a game.

On September 30, 2003, Ensemble Studios released an expansion to Age of Mythology, dubbed Age of Mythology: The Titans.[6] It contains a new civilization, the Atlanteans, as well as new units and a new mythological race, the titans.
Report Spam   Logged
Devlin
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 08:18:18 pm »

Reception

Review scores Publication Score Comments
Metacritic 89%[35] —
IGN 9.3 out of 10[30] Outstanding
Gamespot 9.2 out of 10[29] Superb
Netjak 9.3 out of 10[36] Simply divine

Age of Mythology was well-received by the public, reaching an estimated 1 million units sold within five months of its release.

The game was nominated for the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences' Interactive Achievement Awards for computer game of the year,[38] and strategy computer game of the year.[39]

Age of Mythology received an average score of 89 (out of 100) on Metacritic, ranking it as the 71st highest-rated computer game on the site.[35] The game received a score of 9.3 (Outstanding) on IGN[30] and a score of 9.2 (Superb) on GameSpot.[29] Review website Netjak gave Age of Mythology a score of 9.3, praising it as being "simply divine".[36]

However, other critics complained of the game's similarity to its predecessors. In their review of the game, Game-Revolution stated that "[the] gameplay has been passed down from generation to generation for many, many years," and that nothing much had changed between Age of Mythology and Age of Empires II or Age of Empires[40] Review website FiringSquad stated in their review that Age of Mythology’s campaign was exceedingly long, but that the quality storyline and gameplay compensated for that
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 09:32:19 pm »

Yah, it has the atlanteans campaign
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Devlin
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 11:39:04 pm »

Did you choose them to play with?
One wonders why they have blue skin.
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 12:21:02 am »

I usually just did the story... you are the atlaneans by default in the campaign.
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
cleasterwood

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 06:15:49 am »

My favs are the Atlanteans because they gather and build much faster than the other civs and their hitpoints are a bit higher but they are more expensive and slower to leave your TC.  The Egyptians are ok if you like to use Priests to defend you and the Isis God powers like Monuments protect from magic attack is one of the best god powers if you ask me.  They are just so much more weak though and gather sooooo slowly.  I usually use Eggies when I play Deathmatches.  Don't know why but they seem to work best in those types of ESO games.  Haven't installed it on my laptop yet though and probably won't. Got tired of getting beat up on all the time so haven't played in a while. Besides, I've lots of work ahead of me and can't get it done if I'm sitting around goofing off.
I'm sure I'll play again soon though.
Blessed be,
Lynn
Report Spam   Logged

Ra's Warrior & the Talismans of Time!  http://www.talismansoftime.com
Warlock
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 10:55:04 pm »

This is probably a silly question, Cleasterwood, but how do you "play" it?  I am used to playing games on Playstation, the premise sounds interesting, but I can't seem to get the hang of this. Do you play by keyboard commands, or is it all done by mouse?  How do you even fight battles, let alone build civiliations?
Report Spam   Logged
cleasterwood

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 01:32:28 pm »

Hi Warlock,
I've been offline for a while so sorry about the late reply.
It's pretty easy to play.  You use a combination of mouse and hot keys to play.  Using the mouse you select your "civs" (people) and the hot keys give out commands like build, fight, etc.  You can play the story or fight others on the ESO.  At the beginning of play you get a town center and, depending on the culture you pick, you get a certain number of people (villies). 
Egyptians you get 1 priest, 1 pharaoh, and 2 villies.
Greeks you get (I think) 5 villies only and have to buy your hero.
Norse you get an oxcart, two dwarfs(villies), and a ulf builder.
Atlanteans you get 3 scouts and 1 villie who can be converted to a hero if you need one.
The Egyptian, Greek, and Atlanteans Villies are your builders and the Norse builder is the Ulf (if you lose your only ulf, you can convert a villie for a price).
You must build military structures, houses to get more population, use your resources to buy militia, priests, etc., and you just battle it out with other players on the ESO.  If you do the story mode first it will teach you the basics as you play and then you have to get some practice in Freeplay Random Maps so you get good enough to beat up on people.  It's REALLY addicting!  But lots of fun.  If you want to win at it though it takes lots of practice to get good because on the ESO you can't cheat (although some people get hacks and do cheat.   Shocked We call them Smurfs Grin )  You can also connect directly to a friend's PC and play your friends online too.  Oh, almost forgot, you can also join-in on other people's games or host your own on ESO.

It's pretty cheap too since it's so old. You can get the Titans edition for under $25 too.  If you like Age of Empires or Civilizations you'll like AOMT.

Have fun and remember if you get it let me know cause I'll play you.  Cheesy

Blessed be,
Lynn
Report Spam   Logged

cleasterwood

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 03:00:54 pm »

This link is great for learning about the game.  http://aom.heavengames.com/
Report Spam   Logged

Warlock
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 06:02:24 am »

Thanks for the detailed reply, Lynn.  I got the game, but I am still in the tutorial mode. I am used to Playstation games, and, playing a computer game is a bit foriegn to me, so it might be awhile before I am up to battles with you.   Sad

What other games have you played?  I also have Riddle of the Sphinx, it fashions itself off the older Sphinx theory, but I am having just as poor luck with it.
Report Spam   Logged
cleasterwood

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 05:28:54 am »

It'll take you a week or two, but you'll be able to battle me.  Smiley  I've been playing for months and still I'm not that great at online wars. lol  Once you finish playing the story mode, you should be able to play the ESO with others.  Even when you lose it's fun and the system will match you up with people of your own skill level.

I've all kinds of games:  Pharaoh w/ the Cleopatra Expansion pack, Children of  the Nile, Sims, the Movies, and tons of others.
Report Spam   Logged

Warlock
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 11:38:11 am »

I'd love to play you online, Cleasterwood, but I never seem to get the time to practice!  I would make a poor opponent.  If I ever do get up to the level of competition, I will let you know. 

What is the best game you played?  Do you only play computer games or do you ever play ones done on a console?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: