Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 10:17:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Book of Dreams and Ghosts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Book of Dreams and Ghosts  (Read 2912 times)
Apparition from Beyond the Veil
Superhero Member

« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 01:27:26 pm »

THE CORAL SPRIGS
Mrs. Weiss, of St. Louis, was in New York in January, 1881, attending a daughter, Mrs. C., who was about to have a child.  She writes:—

“On Friday night (Jan. 21) I dreamed that my daughter’s time came; that owing to some cause not clearly defined, we failed to get word to Mr. C., who was to bring the doctor; that we sent for the nurse, who came; that as the hours passed and neither Mr. C. nor the doctor came we both got frightened; that at last I heard Mr. C. on the stairs, and cried to him: ‘Oh, Chan, for heaven’s sake get a doctor!  Ada may be confined at any moment’; that he rushed away, and I returned to the bedside of my daughter, who was in agony of mind and body; that suddenly I seemed to know what to do, . . . and that shortly after Mr. C. came, bringing a tall young doctor, having brown eyes, dark hair, ruddy brun complexion, grey trousers and grey vest, and wearing a bright blue cravat, picked out with coral sprigs; the cravat attracted my attention particularly.  The young doctor pronounced Mrs. C. properly attended to, and left.”

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 01:27:38 pm »

Mrs. Weiss at breakfast told the dream to Mr. C. and her daughter; none of them attached any importance to it.  However, as a snowstorm broke the telegraph wires on Saturday, the day after the dream, Mrs. Weiss was uneasy.  On Tuesday the state of Mrs. C. demanded a doctor.  Mrs. Weiss sent a telegram for Mr. C.; he came at last, went out to bring a doctor, and was long absent.  Then Mrs. Weiss suddenly felt a calm certainty that she (though inexperienced in such cares) could do what was needed.  “I heard myself say in a peremptory fashion: ‘Ada, don’t be afraid, I know just what to do; all will go well’.”  All did go well; meanwhile Mr. C. ran to seven doctors’ houses, and at last returned with a young man whom Mrs. Weiss vaguely recognised.  Mrs. C. whispered, “Look at the doctor’s cravat”.  It was blue and coral sprigged, and then first did Mrs. Weiss remember her dream of Friday night.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2009, 01:27:48 pm »

Mrs. Weiss’s story is corroborated by Mr. Blanchard, who heard the story “a few days after the event”.  Mrs. C. has read Mrs. Weiss’s statement, “and in so far as I can remember it is quite correct”.  Mr. C. remembers nothing about it; “he declares that he has no recollection of it, or of any matters outside his business, and knowing him as I do,” says Mrs. Weiss, “I do not doubt the assertion”.

Mr. C. must be an interesting companion.  The nurse remembers that after the birth of the baby Mrs. C. called Mr. C.’s attention to “the doctor’s necktie,” and heard her say, “Why, I know him by mamma’s description as the doctor she saw in her dreams”. {48}

The only thing even more extraordinary than the dream is Mr. C.’s inability to remember anything whatever “outside of his business”.  Another witness appears to decline to be called, “as it would be embarrassing to him in his business”.  This it is to be Anglo-Saxon!

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 01:28:01 pm »

We now turn to a Celtic dream, in which knowledge supposed to be only known to a dead man was conveyed to his living daughter.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 01:28:16 pm »

THE SATIN SLIPPERS
On 1st February, 1891, Michael Conley, a farmer living near Ionia, in Chichasow county, Iowa, went to Dubuque, in Iowa, to be medically treated.  He left at home his son Pat and his daughter Elizabeth, a girl of twenty-eight, a Catholic, in good health.  On February 3 Michael was found dead in an outhouse near his inn.  In his pocket were nine dollars, seventy-five cents, but his clothes, including his shirt, were thought so dirty and worthless that they were thrown away.  The body was then dressed in a white shirt, black clothes and satin slippers of a new pattern.  Pat Conley was telegraphed for, and arrived at Dubuque on February 4, accompanied by Mr. George Brown, “an intelligent and reliable farmer”.  Pat took the corpse home in a coffin, and on his arrival Elizabeth fell into a swoon, which lasted for several hours.  Her own account of what followed on her recovery may be given in her own words:—

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2009, 01:28:29 pm »

“When they told me that father was dead I felt very sick and bad; I did not know anything.  Then father came to me.  He had on a white shirt” (his own was grey), “and black clothes and slippers.  When I came to, I told Pat I had seen father.  I asked Pat if he had brought back father’s old clothes.  He said ‘No,’ and asked me why I wanted them.  I told him father said he had sewed a roll of bills inside of his grey shirt, in a pocket made of a piece of my old red dress.  I went to sleep, and father came to me again.  When I awoke I told Pat he must go and get the clothes”—her father’s old clothes.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2009, 01:28:39 pm »

Pat now telephoned to Mr. Hoffman, Coroner of Dubuque, who found the old clothes in the back yard of the local morgue.  They were wrapped up in a bundle.  Receiving this news, Pat went to Dubuque on February 9, where Mr. Hoffman opened the bundle in Pat’s presence.  Inside the old grey shirt was found a pocket of red stuff, sewn with a man’s long, uneven stitches, and in the pocket notes for thirty-five dollars.

The girl did not see the body in the coffin, but asked about the old clothes, because the figure of her father in her dream wore clothes which she did not recognise as his.  To dream in a faint is nothing unusual. {50}

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2009, 01:28:58 pm »

THE DEAD SHOPMAN
Swooning, or slight mental mistiness, is not very unusual in ghost seers.  The brother of a friend of my own, a man of letters and wide erudition, was, as a boy, employed in a shop in a town, say Wexington.  The overseer was a dark, rather hectic-looking man, who died.  Some months afterwards the boy was sent on an errand.  He did his business, but, like a boy, returned by a longer and more interesting route.  He stopped as a bookseller’s shop to stare at the books and pictures, and while doing so felt a kind of mental vagueness.  It was just before his dinner hour, and he may have been hungry.  On resuming his way, he looked up and found the dead overseer beside him.  He had no sense of surprise, and walked for some distance, conversing on ordinary topics with the appearance.  He happened to notice such a minute detail as that the spectre’s boots were laced in an unusual way.  At a crossing, something in the street attracted his attention; he looked away from his companion, and, on turning to resume their talk, saw no more of him.  He then walked to the shop, where he mentioned the occurrence to a friend.  He has never during a number of years had any such experience again, or suffered the preceding sensation of vagueness.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:08 pm »

This, of course, is not a ghost story, but leads up to the old tale of the wraith of Valogne.  In this case, two boys had made a covenant, the first who died was to appear to the other.  He did appear before news of his death arrived, but after a swoon of his friend’s, whose health (like that of Elizabeth Conley) suffered in consequence.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:23 pm »

NOTE
“PERCEVAL MURDER.”  Times, 25th May, 1812.

“A Dumfries paper states that on the night of Sunday, the 10th instant, twenty-four hours before the fatal deed was perpetrated, a report was brought to Bude Kirk, two miles from Annan, that Mr. Perceval was shot on his way to the House of Commons, at the door or in the lobby of that House.  This the whole inhabitants of the village are ready to attest, as the report quickly spread and became the topic of conversation.  A clergyman investigated the rumour, with the view of tracing it to its source, but without success.”

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:34 pm »

The Times of 2nd June says, “Report without foundation”.

Perth Courier, 28th May, quoting from the Dumfries and Galloway Courier, repeats above almost verbatim.  “ . . .  The clergyman to whom we have alluded, and who allows me to make use of his name, is Mr. Yorstoun, minister of Hoddam.  This gentleman went to the spot and carefully investigated the rumour, but has not hitherto been successful, although he has obtained the most satisfactory proof of its having existed at the time we have mentioned.  We forbear to make any comments on this wonderful circumstance, but should anything further transpire that may tend to throw light upon it, we shall not fail to give the public earliest information.”

The Dumfries and Galloway Courier I cannot find!  It is not in the British Museum.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:49 pm »

CHAPTER III
Transition from Dreams to Waking Hallucinations.  Popular Scepticism about the Existence of Hallucinations in the Sane.  Evidence of Mr. Francis Galton, F.R.S.  Scientific Disbelief in ordinary Mental Imagery.  Scientific Men who do not see in “the Mind’s Eye”.  Ordinary People who do.  Frequency of Waking Hallucinations among Mr. Gallon’s friends.  Kept Private till asked for by Science.  Causes of such Hallucinations unknown.  Story of the Diplomatist.  Voluntary or Induced Hallucinations.  Crystal Gazing.  Its Universality.  Experience of George Sand.  Nature of such Visions.  Examples.  Novelists.  Crystal Visions only “Ghostly” when Veracious.  Modern Examples.  Under the Lamp.  The Cow with the Bell Historical Example.  Prophetic Crystal Vision.  St. Simon The Regent d’Orléans.  The Deathbed of Louis XIV.  References for other Cases of Crystal Visions.

From dreams, in sleep or swoon, of a character difficult to believe in we pass by way of “hallucinations” to ghosts.  Everybody is ready to admit that dreams do really occur, because almost everybody has dreamed.  But everybody is not so ready to admit that sane and sensible men and women can have hallucinations, just because everybody has not been hallucinated.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:58 pm »

On this point Mr. Francis Galton, in his Inquiries into Human Faculty (1833), is very instructive.  Mr. Galton drew up a short catechism, asking people how clearly or how dimly they saw things “in their mind’s eye”.

“Think of your breakfast-table,” he said; “is your mental picture of it as clearly illuminated and as complete as your actual view of the scene?”  Mr. Galton began by questioning friends in the scientific world, F.R.S.’s and other savants.  “The earliest results of my inquiry amazed me. . . .  The great majority of the men of science to whom I first applied, protested that mental imagery was unknown to them, and they looked on me as fanciful and fantastic in supposing that the words ‘mental imagery’ really expressed what I believed everybody supposed them to mean.”  One gentleman wrote: “It is only by a figure of speech that I can describe my recollection of a scene as a ‘mental image’ which I can ‘see’ with ‘my mind’s eye’.  I do not see it,” so he seems to have supposed that nobody else did.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2009, 01:30:29 pm »

When he made inquiries in general society, Mr. Galton found plenty of people who “saw” mental imagery with every degree of brilliance or dimness, from “quite comparable to the real object” to “I recollect the table, but do not see it”—my own position.

Mr. Galton was next “greatly struck by the frequency of the replies in which my correspondents” (sane and healthy) “described themselves as subject to ‘visions’”.  These varied in degree, “some were so vivid as actually to deceive the judgment”.  Finally, “a notable proportion of sane persons have had not only visions, but actual hallucinations of sight at one or more periods of their life.  I have a considerable packet of instances contributed by my personal friends.”  Thus one “distinguished authoress” saw “the principal character of one of her novels glide through the door straight up to her.  It was about the size of a large doll.”  Another heard unreal music, and opened the door to hear it better.  Another was plagued by voices, which said “Pray,” and so forth.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2009, 01:30:39 pm »

Thus, on scientific evidence, sane and healthy people may, and “in a notable proportion do, experience hallucinations”.  That is to say, they see persons, or hear them, or believe they are touched by them, or all their senses are equally affected at once, when no such persons are really present.  This kind of thing is always going on, but “when popular opinion is of a matter-of-fact kind, the seers of visions keep quiet; they do not like to be thought fanciful or mad, and they hide their experiences, which only come to light through inquiries such as those that I have been making”.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: