Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 11:43:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Book of Dreams and Ghosts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Book of Dreams and Ghosts  (Read 2851 times)
Apparition from Beyond the Veil
Superhero Member

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2009, 01:17:32 pm »

The professor awoke, bounded out of bed, as Mrs. Hilprecht testifies, and was heard crying from his study, “It is so, it is so!”  Mrs. Hilprecht followed her lord, “and satisfied myself in the midnight hour as to the outcome of his most interesting dream”.

The professor, however, says that he awoke, told his wife the dream, and verified it next day.  Both statements are correct.  There were two sets of drawings, one in the study (used that night) one used next day in the University Library.

The inscription ran thus, the missing fragment being restored, “by analogy from many similar inscriptions”:—

TO THE GOD NIBIB, CHILD
OF THE GOD BEL,
HIS LORD
KURIGALZU,
PONTIFEX OF THE GOD BEL
HAS PRESENTED IT.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2009, 01:17:44 pm »

But, in the drawings, the fragments were of different colours, so that a student working on the drawings would not guess them to be parts of one cylinder.  Professor Hilprecht, however, examined the two actual fragments in the Imperial Museum at Constantinople.  They lay in two distinct cases, but, when put together, fitted.  When cut asunder of old, in Babylon, the white vein of the stone showed on one fragment, the grey surface on the other.

Professor Romaine Newbold, who publishes this dream, explains that the professor had unconsciously reasoned out his facts, the difference of colour in the two pieces of agate disappearing in the dream.  The professor had heard from Dr. Peters of the expedition, that a room had been discovered with fragments of a wooden box and chips of agate and lapis lazuli.  The sleeping mind “combined its information,” reasoned rightly from it, and threw its own conclusions into a dramatic form, receiving the information from the lips of a priest of Nippur.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 01:17:59 pm »

Probably we do a good deal of reasoning in sleep.  Professor Hilprecht, in 1882-83, was working at a translation of an inscription wherein came Nabû—Kudûrru—usur, rendered by Professor Delitzsch “Nebo protect my mortar-board”.  Professor Hilprecht accepted this, but woke one morning with his mind full of the thought that the words should be rendered “Nebo protect my boundary,” which “sounds a deal likelier,” and is now accepted.  I myself, when working at the MSS. of the exiled Stuarts, was puzzled by the scorched appearance of the paper on which Prince Charlie’s and the king’s letters were often written and by the peculiarities of the ink.  I woke one morning with a sudden flash of common-sense.  Sympathetic ink had been used, and the papers had been toasted or treated with acids.  This I had probably reasoned out in sleep, and, had I dreamed, my mind might have dramatised the idea.  Old Mr. Edgar, the king’s secretary, might have appeared and given me the explanation.  Maury publishes tales in which a forgotten fact was revealed to him in a dream from the lips of a dream-character (Le Sommeil et les Rêves, pp. 142-143.  The curious may also consult, on all these things, The Philosophy of Mysticism, by Karl du Prel, translated by Mr. Massey.  The Assyrian Priest is in Proceedings, S.P.R., vol. xii., p. 14).

On the same plane as the dreams which we have been examining is the waking sensation of the déjà vu.

“I have been here before,
But when or how I cannot tell.”

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 01:18:41 pm »

Most of us know this feeling, all the circumstances in which we find ourselves have already occurred, we have a prophecy of what will happen next “on the tip of our tongues” (like a half-remembered name), and then the impression vanishes.  Scott complains of suffering through a whole dinner-party from this sensation, but he had written “copy” for fifty printed pages on that day, and his brain was breaking down.  Of course psychology has explanations.  The scene may have really occurred before, or may be the result of a malady of perception, or one hemisphere of the brain not working in absolute simultaneousness with the other may produce a double impression, the first being followed by the second, so that we really have had two successive impressions, of which one seems much more remote in time than it really was.  Or we may have dreamed something like the scene and forgotten the dream, or we may actually, in some not understood manner, have had a “prevision” of what is now actual, as when Shelley almost fainted on coming to a place near Oxford which he had beheld in a dream.

Of course, if this “prevision” could be verified in detail, we should come very near to dreams of the future fulfilled.  Such a thing—verification of a detail—led to the conversion of William Hone, the free-thinker and Radical of the early century, who consequently became a Christian and a pessimistic, clear-sighted Tory.  This tale of the déjà vu, therefore, leads up to the marvellous narratives of dreams simultaneous with, or prophetic of, events not capable of being guessed or inferred, or of events lost in the historical past, but, later, recovered from documents.

Of Hone’s affair there are two versions.  Both may be given, as they are short.  If they illustrate the déjà vu, they also illustrate the fond discrepancies of all such narratives. {24}

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 01:18:51 pm »

THE KNOT IN THE SHUTTER
“It is said that a dream produced a powerful effect on Hone’s mind.  He dreamt that he was introduced into a room where he was an entire stranger, and saw himself seated at a table, and on going towards the window his attention was somehow or other attracted to the window-shutter, and particularly to a knot in the wood, which was of singular appearance; and on waking the whole scene, and especially the knot in the shutter, left a most vivid impression on his mind.  Some time afterwards, on going, I think, into the country, he was at some house shown into a chamber where he had never been before, and which instantly struck him as being the identical chamber of his dream.  He turned directly to the window, where the same knot in the shutter caught his eye.  This incident, to his investigating spirit, induced a train of reflection which overthrew his cherished theories of materialism, and resulted in conviction that there were spiritual agencies as susceptible of proof as any facts of physical science; and this appears to have been one of the links in that mysterious chain of events by which, according to the inscrutable purposes of the Divine will, man is sometimes compelled to bow to an unseen and divine power, and ultimately to believe and live.”

“Another of the Christian friends from whom, in his later years, William Hone received so much kindness, has also furnished recollections of him.

“ . . . Two or three anecdotes which he related are all I can contribute towards a piece of mental history which, if preserved, would have been highly interesting.  The first in point of time as to his taste of mind, was a circumstance which shook his confidence in materialism, though it did not lead to his conversion.  It was one of those mental phenomena which he saw to be inexplicable by the doctrines he then held.

“It was as follows: He was called in the course of business into a part of London quite new to him, and as he walked along the street he noticed to himself that he had never been there; but on being shown into a room in a house where he had to wait some time, he immediately fancied that it was all familiar, that he had seen it before, ‘and if so,’ said he to himself, ‘there is a very peculiar knot in this shutter’.  He opened the shutter and found the knot.  ‘Now then,’ thought he, ‘here is something I cannot explain on my principles!’”

Indeed the occurrence is not very explicable on any principles, as a detail not visible without search was sought and verified, and that by a habitual mocker at anything out of the common way.  For example, Hone published a comic explanation, correct or not, of the famous Stockwell mystery.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 01:19:17 pm »

Supposing Hone’s story to be true, it naturally conducts us to yet more unfamiliar, and therefore less credible dreams, in which the unknown past, present, or future is correctly revealed.

CHAPTER II

Veracious Dreams.  Past, Present and Future unknown Events “revealed”.  Theory of “Mental Telegraphy” or “Telepathy” fails to meet Dreams of the unknowable Future.  Dreams of unrecorded Past, how alone they can be corroborated.  Queen Mary’s Jewels.  Story from Brierre de Boismont.  Mr. Williams’s Dream before Mr. Perceval’s Murder.  Discrepancies of Evidence.  Curious Story of Bude Kirk.  Mr. Williams’s Version.  Dream of a Rattlesnake.  Discrepancies.  Dream of the Red Lamp.  “Illusions Hypnagogiques.”  The Scar in the Moustache.  Dream of the Future.  The Coral Sprigs.  Anglo-Saxon Indifference.  A Celtic Dream.  The Satin Slippers.  Waking Dreams.  The Dead Shopman.  Dreams in Swoons.

Perhaps nothing, not even a ghost, is so staggering to the powers of belief as a well-authenticated dream which strikes the bull’s eye of facts not known to the dreamer nor capable of being guessed by him.  If the events beheld in the dream are far away in space, or are remote in time past, the puzzle is difficult enough.  But if the events are still in the future, perhaps no kind of explanation except a mere “fluke” can even be suggested.  Say that I dream of an event occurring at a distance, and that I record or act on my dream before it is corroborated.  Suppose, too, that the event is not one which could be guessed, like the death of an invalid or the result of a race or of an election.  This would be odd enough, but the facts of which I dreamed must have been present in the minds of living people.  Now, if there is such a thing as “mental telegraphy” or “telepathy,” {28} my mind, in dream, may have “tapped” the minds of the people who knew the facts.  We may not believe in “mental telegraphy,” but we can imagine it as one of the unknown possibilities of nature.  Again, if I dream of an unchronicled event in the past, and if a letter of some historical person is later discovered which confirms the accuracy of my dream, we can at least conceive (though we need not believe) that the intelligence was telegraphed to my dreaming mind from the mind of a dead actor in, or witness of the historical scene, for the facts are unknown to living man.  But even these wild guesses cannot cover a dream which correctly reveals events of the future; events necessarily not known to any finite mind of the living or of the dead, and too full of detail for an explanation by aid of chance coincidence.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2009, 01:19:33 pm »

In face of these difficulties mankind has gone on believing in dreams of all three classes: dreams revealing the unknown present, the unknown past, and the unknown future.  The judicious reasonably set them all aside as the results of fortuitous coincidence, or revived recollection, or of the illusions of a false memory, or of imposture, conscious or unconscious.  However, the stories continue to be told, and our business is with the stories.

Taking, first, dreams of the unknown past, we find a large modern collection of these attributed to a lady named “Miss A---”.  They were waking dreams representing obscure incidents of the past, and were later corroborated by records in books, newspapers and manuscripts.  But as these books and papers existed, and were known to exist, before the occurrence of the visions, it is obvious that the matter of the visions may have been derived from the books and so forth, or at least, a sceptic will vastly prefer this explanation.  What we need is a dream or vision of the unknown past, corroborated by a document not known to exist at the time when the vision took place and was recorded.  Probably there is no such instance, but the following tale, picturesque in itself, has a kind of shadow of the only satisfactory sort of corroboration.

The author responsible for this yarn is Dr. Gregory, F.R.S., Professor of Chemistry in the University of Edinburgh.  After studying for many years the real or alleged phenomena of what has been called mesmerism, or electro-biology, or hypnotism, Dr. Gregory published in 1851 his Letters to a Candid Inquirer on Animal Magnetism.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2009, 01:19:55 pm »

Though a F.R.S. and a Professor of Chemistry, the Doctor had no more idea of what constitutes evidence than a baby.  He actually mixed up the Tyrone with the Lyttelton ghost story!  His legend of Queen Mary’s jewels is derived from (1) the note-book, or (2) a letter containing, or professing to contain, extracts from the note-book, of a Major Buckley, an Anglo-Indian officer.  This gentleman used to “magnetise” or hypnotise people, some of whom became clairvoyant, as if possessed of eyes acting as “double-patent-million magnifiers,” permeated by X rays.

“What follows is transcribed,” says the Doctor, “from Major Buckley’s note-book.”  We abridge the narrative.  Major Buckley hypnotised a young officer, who, on November 15, 1845, fell into “a deeper state” of trance.  Thence he awoke into a “clairvoyant” condition and said:—

QUEEN MARY’S JEWELS

“I have had a strange dream about your ring” (a “medallion” of Anthony and Cleopatra); “it is very valuable.”

Major Buckley said it was worth £60, and put the ring into his friend’s hand.

“It belonged to royalty.”

“In what country?”

“I see Mary, Queen of Scots.  It was given to her by a man, a foreigner, with other things from Italy.  It came from Naples.  It is not in the old setting.  She wore it only once.  The person who gave it to her was a musician.”

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2009, 01:20:15 pm »

The seer then “saw” the donor’s signature, “Rizzio”.  But Rizzio spelled his name Riccio!  The seer now copied on paper a writing which in his trance he saw on vellum.  The design here engraved (p. 32) is only from a rough copy of the seer’s original drawing, which was made by Major Buckley.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2009, 01:20:44 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2009, 01:20:57 pm »

“Here” (pointing to the middle) “I see a diamond cross.”   The smallest stone was above the size of one of four carats.  “It” (the cross) “was worn out of sight by Mary.  The vellum has been shown in the House of Lords.” {31}

“ . . . The ring was taken off Mary’s finger by a man in anger and jealousy: he threw it into the water.  When he took it off, she was being carried in a kind of bed with curtains” (a litter).

Just before Rizzio’s murder Mary was enceinte, and might well be carried in a litter, though she usually rode.

The seer then had a view of Sizzle’s murder, which he had probably read about.

Three weeks later, in another trance, the seer finished his design of the vellum.  The words

A
M
DE LA PART

probably stand for à Marie, de la part de—

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2009, 01:21:11 pm »

The thistle heads and leaves in gold at the corners were a usual decoration of the period; compare the ceiling of the room in Edinburgh Castle where James VI. was born, four months after Rizzio’s murder.  They also occur in documents.  Dr. Gregory conjectures that so valuable a present as a diamond cross may have been made not by Rizzio, but through Rizzio by the Pope.

It did not seem good to the doctor to consult Mary’s lists of jewels, nor, if he had done so, would he have been any the wiser.  In 1566, just before the birth of James VI., Mary had an inventory drawn up, and added the names of the persons to whom she bequeathed her treasures in case she died in child-bed.  But this inventory, hidden among a mass of law-papers in the Record Office, was not discovered till 1854, nine years after the vision of 1845, and three after its publication by Dr. Gregory in 1851.  Not till 1863 was the inventory of 1566, discovered in 1854, published for the Bannatyne Club by Dr. Joseph Robertson.

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2009, 01:23:46 pm »

Turning to the inventory we read of a valuable present made by David Rizzio to Mary, a tortoise of rubies, which she kept till her death, for it appears in a list made after her execution at Fotheringay.  The murdered David Rizzio left a brother Joseph.  Him the queen made her secretary, and in her will of 1566 mentions him thus:—

“A Josef, pour porter à celui qui je luy ay dit, une emeraude emaille de blanc.

“A Josef, pour porter à celui qui je luy ai dit, dont il ranvoir quittance.

“Une bague garnye de vingt cinq diamens tant grands que petis.”

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2009, 01:23:56 pm »

Now the diamond cross seen by the young officer in 1845 was set with diamonds great and small, and was, in his opinion, a gift from or through Rizzio.  “The queen wore it out of sight.”  Here in the inventory we have a bague (which may be a cross) of diamonds small and great, connected with a secret only known to Rizzio’s brother and to the queen.  It is “to be carried to one whose name the queen has spoken in her new secretary’s ear” (Joseph’s), “but dare not trust herself to write”.  “It would be idle now to seek to pry into the mystery which was thus anxiously guarded,” says Dr. Robertson, editor of the queen’s inventories.  The doctor knew nothing of the vision which, perhaps, so nearly pried into the mystery.  There is nothing like proof here, but there is just a presumption that the diamonds connected with Rizzio, and secretly worn by the queen, seen in the vision of 1845, are possibly the diamonds which, had Mary died in 1566, were to be carried by Joseph Rizzio to a person whose name might not safely be written. {35a}

Report Spam   Logged

Superhero Member

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2009, 01:24:05 pm »

We now take a dream which apparently reveals a real fact occurring at a distance.  It is translated from Brierre de Boismont’s book, Des Hallucinations {35b} (Paris, 1845).  “There are,” says the learned author, “authentic dreams which have revealed an event occurring at the moment, or later.”  These he explains by accidental coincidence, and then gives the following anecdote, as within his own intimate knowledge:—

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: