Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 09:26:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

VALERIE PLAME CASE DISMISSED

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VALERIE PLAME CASE DISMISSED  (Read 205 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: July 19, 2007, 02:58:20 pm »

VALERIE PLAME'S LAWSUIT DISMISSED

By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A federal judge dismissed former CIA operative Valerie Plame's lawsuit against members of the Bush administration Thursday, eliminating one of the last courtroom remnants of the leak scandal.

Plame, the wife of former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, had accused Vice President Dick Cheney and others of conspiring to leak her identity in 2003. Plame said that violated her privacy rights and was illegal retribution for her husband's criticism of the administration.

U.S. District Judge John D. Bates dismissed the case on jurisdictional grounds and said he would not express an opinion on the constitutional arguments. Bates dismissed the case against all defendants: Cheney, White House political adviser Karl Rove, former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby and former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 03:14:48 pm »

You are one step ahead of me, Bianca:

Judge tosses out ex-spy's lawsuit against Cheney in CIA leak case
Story Highlights
Ex-spy had accused members of Bush administration of leaking her identity

Judge tosses out lawsuit from Valerie Plame, husband Joseph Wilson

Judge says the couple failed to show the case belongs in federal court

Plame's identity as a CIA operative was exposed in July 2003
Next Article in Politics »

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit by outed spy Valerie Plame and her husband against Vice President Dick Cheney and other top Bush administration officials.

A judge threw out the lawsuit from ex-spy Valerie Plame and husband Joseph Wilson.

Plame had accused members of the Bush administration of leaking her identity. To disclose classified information knowingly to unauthorized recipients is a crime, and Plame's position was classified.

U.S. District Judge John Bates said that the lawsuit raises "important questions relating to the propriety of actions undertaken by our highest government officials" -- but in a 41-page decision, he found that Plame and her husband, former U.S. Ambassador Joseph, Wilson failed to show the case belongs in federal court.

Plame's identity as a CIA operative was exposed in July 2003 after Wilson publicly challenged a key argument in the Bush administration's case for the invasion of Iraq. The couple argued that the disclosure destroyed her career and was done to retaliate against Wilson, who said the administration had "twisted" the evidence used to justify the invasion.

The exposure ignited a criminal probe that led to I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's conviction in March on charges of perjury, obstruction of justice and lying to federal agents investigating the leak. President Bush commuted Libby's 30-month prison term earlier this month, calling it "excessive," but let the verdicts stand.

Don't Miss
Bush says CIA leak likely came from administration
Commentary: Libby happy to have friends in high places
Lea Ann McBride, Cheney's spokeswoman, said "the vice president is pleased that the court has dismissed the lawsuit."

There was no immediate reaction to the order from Plame and Wilson. In addition to Libby and Cheney, the lawsuit also named former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage and Karl Rove, Bush's top political adviser.

During the course of the leak probe, Rove and Armitage were found to have been the two "senior administration officials" columnist and former CNN contributor Robert Novak cited in identifying Plame as a CIA operative. Both cooperated with special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald's investigation, and neither was charged with a crime.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/19/cia.leak/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson
Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 03:16:34 pm »

The judge has ruled on Cheney's behalf many times in the past.  One wonders just how many things these people will be allowed to get away with before getting their just desserts.
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:54:34 pm »

Oh, this is just a total miscarriage of justice...

My God...
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:09:04 am »

THE FOUNDING FATHERS WOULDN'T HAVE LIKED GEORGE BUSH

By BILL MAHER
Posted July 20, 2007 | 09:54 AM (EST)

I'm in Boston today, getting ready for my standup special tomorrow night live on HBO (last shameless plug, I promise), and walking around the city has made me remember: oh yeah, America started here. That's right, America was invented by liberal men in Boston and Philadelphia. Not that I don't love all of America, but rednecks who think they're the real America should read a history book once in a while. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Franklin, Madison -- the whole lot of them were well read, erudite, European thinking children of the enlightenment, and they would have had absolutely nothing in common and less to say to a cowboy simpleton like George Bush.

And speaking of who's a real American, was anyone as outraged as I was reading Robert Novak's little interview in the NY Times magazine on Sunday? Asked if in hindsight he would leave out the part of his 2003 column that identified Valerie Plame as a CIA operative, he said          "I don't know. I thought journalistically it was justifiable. Nobody had told me -- and I still don't believe -- that it put anybody's life in danger. I don't think she was an important person in the CIA."

That really is quite an astounding quote, isn't it? How the hell would he know if it put anybody's life in danger? YOU'RE NOT IN THE CIA, BOB! They don't tell you any of their business! Considering the consequences of being wrong about such a hunch, is it really the patriotic thing to do? To sit in your office and just conjecture that this agent wasn't very important to the CIA? First, I think everyone who works at the CIA is important; and second, WHO THE HELL IS THIS MAN TO OUT PEOPLE IN THE DEADLY WORLD OF ESPIONAGE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT HE "THINKS"?!

With patriots like that, I'm sure glad there are traitors like me and Michael Moore still living here in America.
Report Spam   Logged

Penny
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 01:50:10 am »

Novak is a dork:

"I still don't think she was a very important person in the CIA."

More aptly put, she was a Democrat and he was a Republican attack dog using his column to do his masters' bidding.

I hope no one buys his new book and he dies a slow, painful death.  Right wing hackjob.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 06:44:57 am »

D I T T O,  Penny!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: