Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:29:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

King Arthur - Tales of the Round Table

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Arthur - Tales of the Round Table  (Read 4806 times)
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #345 on: December 28, 2009, 03:10:11 am »

Then Sir Lancelot rose up. and told the hermit, and the hermit ordered him to make ready and to do all as the vision had commanded. And Sir Lancelot and seven of the other Knights went on foot from Glastonbury to

p. 173
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #346 on: December 28, 2009, 03:10:27 am »

Amesbury, and it took them two days to compass the distance, for it was far and they were weak with fasting. When they reached the nunnery Queen Guenevere had been dead but half an hour, and she had first summoned her ladies to her, and told them that Sir Lancelot had been a priest for near a twelvemonth. 'And hither he cometh as fast as he may,' she said, 'to fetch my corpse, and beside my lord King Arthur he shall bury me. And I beseech Almighty God that I may never have power to see Sir Lancelot with my bodily eyes.' 'Thus,' said the ladies, 'she prayed for two days till she was dead.' Then Sir Lancelot looked upon her face and sighed, but wept little, and next day he sang Mass. After that the Queen was laid on a bier drawn by horses, and an hundred torches were carried round her, and Sir Lancelot and his fellows walked behind her singing holy chants, and at times one would come forward and throw incense on the dead. So they came to Glastonbury, and the Bishop of Canterbury sang a Requiem Mass over the Queen, and she was wrapped in cloth, and placed first in a web of lead, and then in a coffin of marble, and when she was put into the earth Sir Lancelot swooned away.
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #347 on: December 28, 2009, 03:10:42 am »

'You are to blame,' said the hermit, when he awaked from his swoon, 'you ought not make such manner of sorrow.'

'Truly,' answered Sir Lancelot, 'I trust I do not displease God, but when I remember her beauty, and her nobleness, and that of the King, and when I saw his corpse and her corpse lie together, my heart would not bear up my body. And I remembered, too, that it was through me and my pride that they both came to their end.'
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #348 on: December 28, 2009, 03:10:53 am »

From that day Sir Lancelot ate so little food that he dwined away, and for the most part was found kneeling by the tomb of King Arthur and Queen Guenevere. None could comfort him, and after six weeks he was too weak to rise from his bed. Then he sent for the hermit

p. 174
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #349 on: December 28, 2009, 03:11:13 am »

and to his fellows, and asked in a weary voice that they would give him the last rites of the Church; and begged that when he was dead his body might be taken to Joyous Gard, which some say is Alnwick and others Bamborough. That night the hermit had a vision that he saw Sir Lancelot being carried up to heaven by the angels, and he waked Sir Bors and bade him go and see if anything ailed Sir Lancelot. So Sir Bors went and Sir Lancelot lay on his bed, stark dead, and he smiled as he lay there. Then was there great weeping and wringing of hands, more than had been made for any man; but they placed him on the horse bier that had carried Queen Guenevere, and lit a hundred torches, and in fifteen days they reached Joyous Gard. There his body was laid in the choir, with his face uncovered, and many prayers were said over him. And there, in. the midst of their praying, came Sir Ector de Maris, who for seven years had sought Sir Lancelot through all the land.
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #350 on: December 28, 2009, 03:11:28 am »

'Ah, Lancelot,' he said, when he stood looking beside his dead body, I thou wert head of all Christian Knights. Thou wert the courtliest Knight that ever drew sword, and the faithfulest friend that ever bestrode a horse. Thou wert the goodliest Knight that ever man has seen, and the truest lover that ever loved a woman.'
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: