Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 02:11:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 'Europe's oldest city' found in Cadiz
http://mathaba.net/rss/?x=566660

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

King Arthur - Tales of the Round Table

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Arthur - Tales of the Round Table  (Read 4820 times)
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 01:22:07 pm »

While the King was wondering what sort of a beast this could be, a Knight rode by, who, seeing a man lying under a tree, stopped and said to him: 'Knight full of thought and sleepy, tell me if a strange beast has passed this way?'

'Yes, truly,' answered Arthur,' and by now it must be two miles distant. What do you want with it?'

'Oh sir, I have followed that beast from far,' replied he, 'and have ridden my horse to death. If only I could find another I would still go after it.' As he spoke a squire came up leading a fresh horse for the King, and when the Knight saw it he prayed that it might be given to him, 'for,' said he, 'I have followed this quest this twelvemonth, and either I shall slay him or he will slay me.'

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 01:22:37 pm »

'Sir Knight,' answered the King, 'you have done your part; leave now your quest, and let me follow the beast for the same time that you have done.' 'Ah, fool!' replied the Knight, whose name was Pellinore, 'it would be all in vain, for none may slay that beast but I or my next of kin'; and without more words he sprang into the saddle. 'You may take my horse by force,' said the King, 'but I should like to prove first which of us two is the better horseman.'

'Well,' answered the Knight, 'when you want me, come to this spring. Here you will always find me,' and, spurring his horse, he galloped away. The King watched

p. 11

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 01:22:59 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 01:23:04 pm »

p. 13

him till he was out of sight, then turned to his squire and bade him bring another horse as quickly as he could. While he was waiting for it the wizard Merlin came along in the likeness of a boy, and asked the King why he was so thoughtful.

'I may well be thoughtful,' replied the King, 'for I have seen the most wonderful sight in all the world.'

'That I know well,' said Merlin, I for I know all your thoughts. But it is folly to let your mind dwell on it, for thinking will mend nothing. I know, too, that, Uther Pendragon was your father, and your mother was the Lady Igraine.'

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 01:23:16 pm »

'How can a boy like you know that?' cried Arthur, growing angry; but Merlin only answered, 'I know it better than any man living,' and passed, returning soon after in the likeness of an old man of fourscore, and sitting down by the well to rest.

'What makes you so sad?' asked he.

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 01:23:25 pm »

'I may well be sad,' replied Arthur, 'there is plenty to make me so. And besides, there was a boy here who told me things that he had no business to know, and among them the names of my father and mother.'

'He told you the truth,.' said the old man, 'and if you would have listened he could have told you still more: how that your sister shall have a child who shall destroy you and all your Knights.'

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 01:23:33 pm »

'Who are you?' asked Arthur, wondering.

'I am Merlin, and it was I who came to you in the likeness of a boy. I know all things; how that you shall die a noble death, being slain in battle, while my end will be shameful, for I shall be put alive into the earth.'

There was no time to say more, for the man brought up the King's horse and he mounted, and rode fast till he came to Carlion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 01:24:03 pm »

p. 14

THE SWORD EXCALIBUR

KING ARTHUR had fought a hard battle with the tallest Knight in all the land, and though he struck hard and well, he would have been slain had not Merlin enchanted the Knight and cast him into a deep sleep, and brought the King to a hermit who had studied the art of healing, and cured all his wounds in three days. Then Arthur and Merlin waited no longer, but gave the hermit thanks and departed.

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 01:24:14 pm »

As they rode together Arthur said, 'I have no sword,' but Merlin bade him be patient and he would soon give him one. In a little while they came to a large lake, and in the midst of the lake Arthur beheld an arm rising out of the water, holding up a sword. 'Look!' said Merlin, 'that is the sword I spoke of.' And the King looked again, and a maiden stood upon the water. 'That is the Lady of the Lake,' said Merlin, 'and she is coming to you, and if you ask her courteously she will give you the sword.' So when the maiden drew near Arthur saluted her and said, 'Maiden, I pray you tell me whose sword is that which an arm is holding out of the water? I wish it were mine, for I have lost my sword.'

'That sword is mine, King Arthur,' answered she, and I will give it to you, if you in return will give me a gift when I ask you.'

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 01:24:24 pm »

'By my faith,' said the King, 'I will give you whatever gift you ask.' 'Well,' said the maiden, 'get into the

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 01:24:40 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 01:24:51 pm »

p. 15

barge yonder, and row yourself to the sword, and take it and the scabbard with you.' For this was the sword Excalibur. 'As for my gift, I will ask it in my own time.' Then King Arthur and Merlin dismounted from their horses and tied them up safely, and went into the barge, and when they came to the place where the arm was holding the sword Arthur took it by the handle, and the arm disappeared. And they brought the sword back to land. As they rode the King looked lovingly on his sword, which Merlin saw, and, smiling, said, Which do you like best, the sword or the scabbard? 'I like the sword,' answered Arthur. 'You are not wise to say that,' replied Merlin, 'for the scabbard is worth ten of the sword, and as long as it is buckled on you you will lose no blood, however sorely you may be wounded.' So they rode into the town of Carlion, and Arthur's Knights gave them a glad welcome, and said it was a joy to serve under a King who risked his life as much as any common man.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 01:25:16 pm »

p. 16

THE STORY OF SIR BALIN

IN those days many Kings reigned in the Islands of the Sea, and they constantly waged war upon each other, and on their liege lord, and news came to Arthur that Ryons, King of North Wales, had collected a large host and had ravaged his lands and slain some of his people. When he heard this, Arthur rose in anger, and commanded that all lords, Knights, and gentlemen of arms should meet him at Camelot, where he would call a council, and hold a tourney.

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 01:25:25 pm »

From every part the Knights flocked to Camelot, and the town was full to overflowing of armed men and their horses. And when they were all assembled, there rode in a damsel, who said she had come with a message from the great Lady Lile of Avelion, and begged that they would bring her before King Arthur. When she was led into his presence she let her mantle of fur slip off her shoulders, and they saw that by her side a richly wrought sword was buckled. The King was silent with wonder at the strange sight, but at last he said, 'Damsel, why do you wear this sword? for swords are not the ornaments of women.' 'Oh, my lord,' answered she, 'I would I could find some Knight to rid me of this sword, which weighs me down and causes me much sorrow. But the man who will deliver me of it must be one who is mighty of his hands, and pure in his deeds, without villainy, or treason. If I find a Knight such as this, he will draw this sword out of its sheath,

p. 17

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 01:25:39 pm »

and he only. For I have been at the Court of King Ryons, and he and his Knights tried with all their strength to draw the sword and they could not.'

'Let me see if I can draw it,' said Arthur, 'not because I think myself the best Knight, for well I know how far I am outdone by others, but to set them an example that they may follow me.' With that the King took the sword by the sheath and by the girdle, and pulled at it with all his force, but the sword stuck fast. 'Sir,' said the damsel, 'you need not pull half so hard, for he that shall pull it out shall do it with little strength.' 'It is not for me,' answered Arthur, 'and now, my Barons, let each man try his fortune.' So most of the Knights of the Round Table there present pulled, one after another, at the sword, but none could stir it from its sheath. 'Alas! alas!' cried the damsel in great grief, 'I thought to find in this Court Knights that were blameless and true of heart, and now I know not where to look for them.' 'By my faith,' said Arthur, 'there are no better Knights in the world than these of mine, but I am sore displeased that they cannot help me in this matter.'

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: