Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:11:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

King Arthur - Tales of the Round Table

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Arthur - Tales of the Round Table  (Read 4833 times)
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« on: November 04, 2009, 01:17:01 pm »

King Arthur
Tales of the Round Table
Edited by Andrew Lang
Illustrated by H. J. Ford
[1902]
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:17:31 pm »

King Arthur
Tales of the Round Table
Edited by Andrew Lang
Illustrated by H. J. Ford
Longmans, London
[1902]
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:17:49 pm »

CONTENTS

PAGE

The Drawing of the Sword

The Questing Beast

The Sword Excalibur

The Story of Sir Balin

How the Round Table began

The Passing of Merlin

How Morgan Le Fay tried to kill King Arthur

What Beaumains asked of the King

The Quest of the Holy Graal

The Fight for the Queen

The Fair Maid of Astolat

Lancelot and Guenevere

The End of it All

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 01:18:07 pm »

ILLUSTRATIONS
FULL-PAGE PLATES

How Arthur drew the Sword to face p.

Arthur and the Questing Beast

Arthur meets the Lady of the Lake

The Death of Balin and Balan

Merlin and Vivien

Morgan Le Fay casts away the Scabbard

Gareth and Linet

Linet and the Black Knight

The Lady of Lyonesse sees Sir Gareth

Sir Galahad opens the Tomb

Lancelot at the Chapel

Sir Percivale stays the Serpent

Lancelot and the Dwarf

Guenevere and Sir Bors

Arthur and Guenevere kiss before all the People

Elaine ties her Sleeve round Sir Lancelot's Helmet

The Black Barget

Lancelot brings Guenevere to Arthur

The Archers threaten Lancelot

Lancelot bears off Guenevere

Sir Mordred

Excalibur returns to the Mere

p. viii

IN TEXT

PAGE

The Damsel warns Sir Balin

How Sir Bors was saved from killing his Brother

Sir Mador accuses Guenevere

Guenevere sends her Page to Lancelot for Help

Lancelot comes out of Guenevere's Room

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 01:19:19 pm »

KING ARTHUR.
Tales of the Round Table

THE DRAWING OF THE SWORD
LONG, long ago, after Uther Pendragon died, there was no King in Britain, and every Knight hoped to seize the crown for himself. The country was like to fare ill when laws were broken on every side, and the corn which was to give the poor bread was trodden underfoot, and there was none to bring the evildoer to justice. Then, when things were at their worst, came forth Merlin the magician, and fast he rode to the place where the Archbishop of Canterbury had his dwelling. And they took counsel together, and agreed that all the lords and gentlemen of Britain should ride to London and meet on Christmas Day, now at hand, in the Great Church. So this was done. And on Christmas morning, as they left the church, they saw in the churchyard a large stone, and on it a bar of steel, and in the steel a naked sword was held, and about it was written in letters of gold, 'Whoso pulleth out this sword is by right of birth King of England.' They marvelled at these words, and called for the Archbishop, and brought him into the place where the stone stood. Then those Knights who fain would be King could not hold themselves back, and they tugged at the sword with all their might; but it never stirred. The Archbishop watched them in silence, but when they were faint from pulling he spoke: 'The man is not here who shall lift out that sword, nor do I know where to find him. But this is my counsel--that two Knights be chosen, good and true men, to keep guard over the sword.'

Thus it was done. But the lords and gentlemen-at-arms

p. 4

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:19:34 pm »

cried out that every man had a right to try to win the sword, and they decided that on New Year's Day a tournament should be held, and any Knight who would, might enter the lists.

So on New Year's Day, the Knights, as their custom was, went to hear service in the Great Church, and after it was over they met in the field to make ready for the tourney. Among them was a brave Knight called Sir Ector, who brought with him Sir Kay, his son, and Arthur, Kay's foster-brother. Now Kay had unbuckled his sword the evening before, and in his haste to be at the tourney had forgotten to put it on again, and he begged Arthur to ride back and fetch it for him. But when Arthur reached the house the door was locked, for the women had gone out to see the tourney, and though Arthur tried his best to get in he could not. Then he rode away in great anger, and said to himself,
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 01:19:45 pm »

'Kay shall not be without a sword this day. I will take that sword in the churchyard, and give it to him'; and he galloped fast till he reached the gate of the churchyard. Here he jumped down and tied his horse tightly to a tree, then, running up to the stone, he seized the handle of the sword, and drew it easily out; afterwards he mounted his horse again, and delivered the sword to Sir Kay. The moment Sir Kay saw the sword he knew it was not his own, but the sword of the stone, and he sought Out his father Sir Ector, and said to him, 'Sir, this is the sword of the stone, therefore I am the rightful King.' Sir Ector made no answer, but signed to Kay and Arthur to follow him, and they all three went back to the church. Leaving their horses outside, they entered the choir, and here Sir Ector took a holy book and bade Sir Kay swear how he came by that sword. 'My brother Arthur gave it to me,' replied Sir Kay. 'How did you come by it?' asked Sir Ector, turning to Arthur. 'Sir,' said Arthur, 'when I rode home for my brother's sword I found no one to deliver it to me, and as I resolved he should not

p. 5

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 01:20:01 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 01:20:14 pm »

p. 7

be swordless I thought of the sword in this stone, and I pulled it out.' 'Were any Knights present when you did this?' asked Sir Ector. 'No, none,' said Arthur. 'Then it is you,' said Sir Ector, 'who are the rightful King of this land.' 'But why am I the King?' inquired Arthur. 'Because,' answered Sir Ector, 'this is an enchanted sword, and no man could draw it but he who was born a King. Therefore put the sword back into the stone, and let me see you take it out.' 'That is soon done,' said Arthur, replacing the sword, and Sir Ector himself tried to draw it, but he could not. 'Now it is your turn,' he said to Sir Kay, but Sir Kay fared no better than his father, though he tugged with all his might and main. 'Now you, Arthur,' and Arthur pulled it out as easily as if it had been lying in its sheath, and as he did so Sir Ector and Sir Kay sank on their knees before him. 'Why do you, my father and brother, kneel to me?' asked Arthur in surprise. 'Nay, nay, my lord,' answered Sir Ector, 'I was never your father, though till to-day I did not know who your father really was. You are the son of Uther Pendragon, and you were brought to me when you were born by Merlin himself, who
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 01:20:22 pm »

promised that when the time came I should know from whom you sprang. And now it has been revealed to me.' But when Arthur heard that Sir Ector was not his father, he wept bitterly. 'If I am King,' he said at last, I ask what you will, and I shall not fail you. For to you, and to my lady and mother, I owe more than to anyone in the world, for she loved me and treated me as her son.' 'Sir,' replied Sir Ector, 'I only ask that you will make your foster-brother, Sir Kay, Seneschal 1 of all your lands.' 'That I will readily,' answered Arthur,' and while he and I live no other shall fill that office.'

Sir Ector then bade them seek out the Archbishop with him, and they told him all that had happened concerning the sword, which Arthur had left standing in the

p. 8

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 01:20:31 pm »

stone. And on the Twelfth Day the Knights and Barons came again, but none could draw it out but Arthur. When they saw this, many of the Barons became angry and cried out that they would never own a boy for King whose blood was no better than their own. So it was agreed to wait till Candlemas, when more Knights might be there, and meanwhile the same two men who had been chosen before watched the sword night and day; but at Candlemas it was the same thing, and at Easter, And when Pentecost came, the common people who were present, and saw Arthur pull out the sword, cried with one voice that he was their King, and they would kill any man who said differently. Then rich and poor fell on their knees before him, and Arthur took the sword and offered it upon the altar where the Archbishop stood, and the best man that was there made him Knight. After that the crown was put on his head, and he swore to his lords and commons that he would be a true King, and would do them justice all the days of his life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 01:20:39 pm »

Footnotes
7:1 'Seneschal' means steward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 01:21:06 pm »

p. 9

THE QUESTING BEAST

BUT Arthur had many battles to fight and many Kings to conquer before he was acknowledged lord of them all, and often he would have failed had he not listened to the wisdom of Merlin, and been helped by his sword Excalibur, which in obedience to Merlin's orders he never drew till things were going ill with him. Later it shall be told how the King got the sword Excalibur, which shone so bright in his enemies' eyes that they fell back, dazzled by the brightness. Many Knights came to his standard, and among them Sir Ban, King of Gaul beyond the sea, who was ever his faithful friend. And it was in one of these wars, when King Arthur and King Ban and King Bors went to the rescue of the King of Cameliard, that Arthur saw Guenevere, the King's daughter, whom he afterwards wedded. By and by King Ban and King Bors returned to their own country across the sea, and the King went to Carlion, a town on the river Usk, where a strange dream came to him.

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 01:21:17 pm »

He thought that the land was over-run with gryphons and serpents which burnt and slew his people, and be made war on the monsters, and was sorely wounded, though at last he killed them all. When he awoke the remembrance of his dream was heavy upon him, and to shake it off he summoned his Knights to hunt with him, and they rode fast till they reached a forest. Soon they spied a hart before them, which the King claimed as his game, and he spurred his horse and rode after him. But the hart ran fast and the King could not get near it, and

p. 10

Report Spam   Logged
Michelle Jahn
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 01:21:26 pm »

the chase lasted so long that the King himself grew heavy and his horse fell dead under him. Then he sat under a tree and rested, till he heard the baying of hounds, and fancied he counted as many as thirty of them. He raised his head to look, and, coming towards him, saw a beast so strange that its like was not to be found throughout his kingdom. It went straight to the well and drank, making as it did so the noise of many hounds baying, and when it had drunk its fill the beast went its way.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: