Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 09:51:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

THE DUNWICH HORROR

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE DUNWICH HORROR  (Read 560 times)
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 03:08:22 am »

No you couldn't do it exactly like it your right, but some things that are uniquely HP style, like his settings..time...place, stuff like that should be left in.

No he's not be on dialogue, and I don't recall any romance in any of the stories of his I have read.

Their must be something about the New England states that makes for great horror writing both Stephen King and HP set most of there stories there.

Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Zodiac
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 06:46:42 am »

And see, I don't think much of Steven King at all, a bit over-rated if you ask me!

Lovecraft also didn't include women in his stories.  If you are going to have a horror party, it has to include some women. The new versions of his stories are nice in that they include some female characters!
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 07:19:13 am »

Ever read Salem's Lot?
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Zodiac
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 08:31:44 am »

Yep, along with the Shining, Carrie, Night Shift, and, I believe Dance Macabre, so I have a farily good idea where King is coming from.  Of the ones I've read, I would say Salem's Lot is the best, but I'm still not sure I'd call it a classic.

For my money, King's buddy Peter Straub is a much better writer, and has written at least two classics in my opinion, Ghost Story and If You Could See Me Know.  You should read them if you haven't, they are right up your alley.

Other than that, I like Clive Barker's Books of Blood. His later work isn't quite as good.
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 09:04:15 pm »

Hey Zodiac

The Stand is one King's Best..

Did you ever read The Talisman I think it was Peter Straub, I am not sure though.

I been hearing about Shirely Jackson lately she wrote the haunting of Hill House
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Zodiac
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 08:26:19 pm »

Hi Unknown,

Sorry it took so long to answer this, I have been so busy reading your horror fiction, and Lynn's novels that I forgot to add to the H.P. threads
Report Spam   Logged
Zodiac
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 08:29:29 pm »

Hi Unknown,

Sorry it took so long to answer this, I have been so busy reading your horror fiction, and Lynn's novels that I forgot to add to the H.P. threads!

I actually haven't read the Talisman, it is not actually a Straub book, but more a collaboration between Straub and King.  The problem with colloaborations is that they tend to get lost cause there isn't an over-riding single vision.

I have read the Haunting of Hill House, by Jackson, it is a classic, but the movie is still better.  Have you seen it?
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 08:45:43 pm »

The original seventies movie "The Legend of Hell House" Is my all time favorite horror movie, so much better than the new one in my opinion.

I really liked the Talisman, I just thought the whole thing about a runaway kid drifting going between two realms of reality was an awesome concept, I eat it up.
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Zodiac
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 01:09:17 am »

I saw that movie, "the Legend of Hell House,", too, was good up until the end:

"He cut off his legs cause he so despised his own shortness."

Come on!  No one would do that.  A horror story has to be believeable as well as creepy.

The Haunting of Hill House is a different story altogether, about another group investigating a haunted house. Very atmospheric and very creepy.  I'll start a topic on it later.
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 03:21:01 am »

Hi zodiac

But Hugh Crane was obviously insane, and you can't expect insane people to do rational things...

At least that is my take on it.

I thought it was a pretty good suprise ending, because earlier in the film, they talk about Crane as a roaring giant.  The fact that he was really a diminuitive little man, pretending to be a big man because of his enormous, ego, just kind of fits, because only someone with a tremendous ego could have survived death in the way that he did.

I always thought that Hell house, was a kind of reworking of Hill House, I could be wrong... but the latest hollywood movie incorporates elements of both, but, it does not have the suspence and chills of either Hill House, or Hell House.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 03:24:14 am by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: