Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 10:19:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

And the best country to live in is ...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And the best country to live in is ...  (Read 465 times)
Roco

« on: October 06, 2009, 01:28:13 am »

And the best country to live in is ...
Norway tops U.N. quality-of-life list; U.S. is 13th, while Niger finishes last

updated 11:11 a.m. CT, Mon., Oct . 5, 2009

BANGKOK - Norway enjoys the world's highest quality of life, while Niger suffers the lowest, a U.N. agency said Monday, as it released a ranking that highlights the wide disparities in well-being between rich and poor countries.

The annual Human Development Index, unveiled in Bangkok by the United Nations Development Program, takes into account life expectancy, literacy, school enrollment and per capita gross domestic product in 182 countries.

"A child born in Niger can expect to live to just over 50 years, which is 30 years less than a child born in Norway. Furthermore, the differences in per capita income are huge for every dollar earned per person in Niger, US$85 are earned in Norway," UNDP said.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roco

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:30:38 am »

Norway was followed by Australia and Iceland on the list, which drew on statistics dating from 2007, before Iceland was hit hard in global economic crisis. Afghanistan and Sierra Leone rounded out the bottom of the ranking.

The United States was listed 13th.

Life getting better in China, Iran and Nepal
Trends in the index since 1980 showed an average improvement of 15 percent in countries' scores. The greatest long-term improvements have been shown by China, Iran and Nepal, but progress has been concentrated in education and health rather than income, said the U.N agency.

Afghanistan is new to the list this year — reliable statistics were not previously available — but otherwise leaders and laggards are largely the same.

However, five countries rose three or more places — China, Colombia, France, Peru and Venezuela — while seven countries dropped more than two places — Belize, Ecuador, Jamaica, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malta, and Tonga.
Report Spam   Logged
Roco

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:31:22 am »

The index was released as part of the UNDP's annual Human Development Report, which this year highlighted migration.

"Most migrants, internal and international, reap gains in the form of higher incomes, better access to education and health and improved prospects for their children," said the report. "These gains often directly benefit family members who stay behind as well as countries of origin indirectly."

It also suggested that as the populations age in developed countries, they could benefit from increased migration to boost their work forces.

But it cautioned that encouraging migration should not substitute for "efforts by developing countries to achieve growth and improve human well-being."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33178495/
Report Spam   Logged
Manutius

I pray that God's an atheist

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:32:31 pm »

Norway is not a nice place to live.

It is very expensive.
The food there tastes worse than English food.
The weather is horrible.

Go there if you want but like me, you'll be just as happy to return to the USA, Aus, France, Italy or wherever you came from. The English might be tempted to stay is some sort of reverse conqest payback sort of way.
Report Spam   Logged

Shoot the homeless.
strages consanguinei me vos canis
Boreas

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 07:27:59 am »

Well - at least the Scandinavians shelter, feed and care or the health of our citizens, even when they are poor and dead broke. With something called "clean, natural and nutritonous" food and liquids - of a quality obviously unknown to you.

http://www.statholdergaarden.no/index.php?id=24&L=1
http://www.bocusedor.com/2009/en/concours/actualites.php#33

Moreover it's not expensive to live IN Norway - as salaries are good the prices are ok. Though, it IS a problem that the high living-standards are reflected in the financial politics, making the Norwegian currency (like the Swiz) rather expensive.

Though, these Norwegians migth even enjoy a rough wheather - just sligthly better than Iceland, Scotland and Ireland - because it keep spoiled chicks, scrupless mocking-birds and other scavengers away...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:53:39 am by Boreas » Report Spam   Logged

Gens Una Sumus
Boreas

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 07:32:03 am »

http://www.visitnorway.com/

Wink
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:55:17 am by Boreas » Report Spam   Logged

Gens Una Sumus
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 09:46:49 am »

Canada, Vancouver B.C is the best place to live to me this is only because I call it home. Its in the Pacific North West for those that are not to familiar the country canada and with the city that I abode in.

Keith of Vancouver,
Report Spam   Logged
Jennifer O'Dell
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 12:11:02 pm »

It sure isn't the U.S. We are a job-bleeding corpotocracy looking for the next war to finish the job of bleeding us dry.
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 01:11:07 pm »

Well vancouver has a high rate of homeless and now the Olympics are coming in about 100 day the people behind the olympics are doing there best to hide the homeless problem here in vancouver, canada slum lords are raising the rents there's a lot of people that are not happy with this Olympic event happening. Its only here to help the rich and disregard the poor and middle class working people heck that's who can't even afford to go to the Olympics?

Oh' Canada we stand on guard for Kandahar? what are we doing in Afghanistan' what a waist of time and lives.
Report Spam   Logged
Manutius

I pray that God's an atheist

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 04:17:59 pm »

Vancouver has the same weather as Norway - generally humid, cold and cloudy.
Vancouver is also terribly expensive.
The food in Vancouver is fabulous.

I rank Vancouver ahead of Norway for sure.

The USA has its problems for sure. But if you have nothing and are young and ambitious and want to take control of your destiny and make something of yourself then there is no better place than the USA.
Report Spam   Logged

Shoot the homeless.
strages consanguinei me vos canis
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 06:22:22 pm »

Vancouver is the best place to dine I must admit there's people from all over the world here its culturally balanced here kind of?  I have really good friends I know from all over the world just from living here.

HST new tax up from gst tax is going to make things more expensive soon prices is already going up because of it, tourism here is going to take a shot in the the arm because of this new tax, those dam conservatives jerks; prime minister stevie harper baby bush' is a ding bat what were we thinking to keep him in any kind of power? 

keith,
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:24:45 pm by Keith Ranville » Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 11:30:00 pm »

It sure isn't the U.S. We are a job-bleeding corporatocracy looking for the next war to finish the job of bleeding us dry.

Wink  Amen to that. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: