Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 12:28:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

RE-Dating the Ages

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RE-Dating the Ages  (Read 368 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« on: September 26, 2009, 09:55:35 am »

End of an Era

It Figures!  I KNEW they'd change the time line sooner or later, they had to.  Stuff just won't fit otherwise.

ScienceDaily (Sep. 23, 2009) — After decades of debate and four years of investigation an international body of earth scientists has formally agreed to move the boundary dates for the prehistoric Quaternary age by 800,000 years, reports the Journal of Quaternary Science.

The decision has been made by the International Commission on Stratigraphy (ICS), the authority for geological science which has acted to end decades of controversy by formally declaring when the Quaternary Period, which covers both the ice age and moment early man first started to use tools, began.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090922095703.htm
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:59:30 am »

A skull that rewrites the history of man
It has long been agreed that Africa was the sole cradle of human evolution. Then these bones were found in Georgia...

By Steve Connor, Science Editor
Wednesday, 9 September 2009SHARE PRINTEMAILTEXT SIZE NORMALLARGEEXTRA LARGE
One of the skulls discovered in Georgia, which are believed to date back 1.8 million years.

The conventional view of human evolution and how early man colonised the world has been thrown into doubt by a series of stunning palaeontological discoveries suggesting that Africa was not the sole cradle of humankind. Scientists have found a handful of ancient human skulls at an archaeological site two hours from the Georgian capital, Tbilisi, that suggest a Eurasian chapter in the long evolutionary story of man.

The skulls, jawbones and fragments of limb bones suggest that our ancient human ancestors migrated out of Africa far earlier than previously thought and spent a long evolutionary interlude in Eurasia – before moving back into Africa to complete the story of man.

Experts believe fossilised bones unearthed at the medieval village of Dmanisi in the foothills of the Caucuses, and dated to about 1.8 million years ago, are the oldest indisputable remains of humans discovered outside of Africa.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/a-skull-that-rewrites-the-history-of-man-1783861.html
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:39:07 am »

I suppose the news is a couple of years old already, but it's the first I've heard of it, so it's a surprise to me.  Did anyone else out there know of this?
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Aphrodite
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 04:58:16 pm »

I've never head of it. It ould be something if they meant the state of Georgia as opposed to the country, wouldn't it?

I imagine even that is not the whole story.  Who knows what they would find in Siberia if they ever began digging there?
Report Spam   Logged

"He who controls others maybe powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.” - Lao Tsu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: