Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:00:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

CIA Used Gun, Drill in Interrogation

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CIA Used Gun, Drill in Interrogation  (Read 1793 times)
Echelon Monitor

« on: September 05, 2009, 11:33:24 pm »

Lt. William Calley Haunted by Memories of My Lai Massacre
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2092877/lt_william_calley_haunted_by_memories.html

August 22, 2009

The My Lai Massacre occurred a little over two years before I went to Vietnam. The Mai Lai Massacre effectively turned public opinion against the Vietnam War. Further, the Mai Lai Massacre brought to the fore an officer named Lt. William Calley.

Telegraph.co.uk is carrying an article titled "My Lai massacre: Lt. William Calley apologises more than 40 years after Vietnam." The title is just a little misleading. The apology comes forty years after the massacre, not the end of the war.

The event in question occurred March 16th, 1968. Lt Calley was in charge of "Charlie Company." They came to a village called My Lai and opened fire killing somewhere between 347 and 504 unarmed citizens. The people were primarily old men, women and children.

It was recommended that 28 officers and two non-commissioned officers be charged with a crime however, Calley was the only soldier charged and was given a life sentence.

This sentence was changed to house arrest.

The My Lai massacre is back in the news because Lt. William Calley apologized for his role in the massacre.

While addressing the Kiwanis Club in Greater Columbus, Georia, Calley is quoted in the article as saying "There is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for happened that day in My Lai."

There is no question that the My Lai was a uniquely terrible event.

However, did you ever wonder why Lt. Calley's punishment for this "search and destroy mission gone wrong" was so greatly reduced?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: