Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 02:16:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Does Religion Make One Happier?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Religion Make One Happier?  (Read 1076 times)
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 05:08:33 pm »

Hi Dawn,

I would say it's not religion that makes church-goers happy but rather faith.  Religion is just the outer trappings.

And yet, I know a lot of people who believe in God and yet are not happy, so it cannot just be faith, Tom.  Perhaps it is the regimen of going to church every Sunday (much like having a job) itself that tends to make one happy?

For me there is a difference between belief and faith.
Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 05:56:33 pm »

Interesting idea, Bianca, and yet, I am not sure it fits for everyone. I tend to go to church one time a year - Easter.  I don't really feel like I belong to the congregation, certainly don't know anyone there, and yet, when I finish with the service, I do tend to feel a bit happy to have been there (though I don't have the urge to go again anytime soon).

For me, I think it simply takes me back to my childhood, where I was forced to go to church every Sunday, there really is nothing spiritual about it at all.

Cheers,

Dawn

I'm going to stick to my guns on this. Faith is a church found only in your heart.
Our bodies are temples of spirit and creation. Our souls are the energy of life. Everything we feel about existence is hard-wired into us through a complete, collective sence. This is what we Call God.

Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 07:18:41 pm »

I think the saying (Matthew, I believe) "......when you pray, You go to your closet....."
was made for me.

I have never been able to pray during a regular church service.  Too much distraction,
too much going on......

When I was young and in boarding school, I was able to pray during the daily Mass.
There were very few of us (all foreign students) and maybe a handful of nuns.  When I
look back on it, it was always so quiet - maybe most of them were still asleep.  One
could hardly hear the priest, it was just lovely and I loved going.  Even though it was
obligatory.

I never got that feeling in a regular church.

When I got out into the world, I could still sneak into an empty church, sit in a pew and
sort of 'communicate' without words.  Can't do that anymore, all the churches are locked
now.   So, when I need to, I find a spot all to myself.  Often, I just close my eyes and
find a 'sacred spot' through my imagination......

I guess with me it was always a 'personal God', even way before I knew the meaning of the
phrase.....

Love and Peace,
b
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: