Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 10:03:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Does One Have a Moral Responsibility to Fight Evil?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does One Have a Moral Responsibility to Fight Evil?  (Read 3188 times)
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« on: August 01, 2007, 04:21:14 am »

First, let us define evil in terms of "acts," not people.

Very few people are entirely good or evil for that matter. Seven out of ten people might believe George Bush to be evil, the remaining three might well he is doing God's work.  There are very few Adolph Hitlers out there wherein we can all agree what evil is. (and I am certain that even Hitler still has his supporters)

Now, this is true.  When I was in college during the radical 60's, students were asked to join in the boycott and demonstrations of cafeteria workers against the company owners.  I did not feel led to participate.  To do so would be to assume that cafeteria workers are "good people" and that cafeteria owners are "bad people."

We are ordinary citizens, we see a crime occuring - perhaps, a murder of some kind.  Your neighborhood police would have you call them to stop it, and yet there isn't time. True sacrifice often only comes at great risk to one's self. Do we try and stop it? 

I think this depends on the risks and benefits that are involved.  It may not have anything to do with selfishness.  Most people seeing a small child drowning in a lake would jump in and try to same him, assuming you could swim.

On the other hand, if you see a convenience store being robbed at gunpoint, are you going to try to wrestle the robber?  Is it worth risking your life for a few dollars from the cash register?

Do we even think we have the reponsibility to try and stop it?  Many would say the right things, but I fear many of our actions would be silent.

We have a moral responsibility to do good, but that's different from having a responsibility to stop evil.

I would say that we have lost our connection with one another, but I really don't believe that.  We have NEVER had a connection with one another. 

Oh, we feel that connection with our friends, our family, but strangers? I am afraid not.

In humanity's long struggle, the fight has never been that of good versus evil, but rather the struggle to survive.  In that struggle, lives, principles and morals are sacrificed we become something less than we should be.

When fear and survival are our over-riding principles and when the names of victims are simply nameless strangers that we could care less about, I must ask, is that a life even worth living at all?

No.  And that's why I believe that we really haven't lost our connection with one another.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: