Atlantis Online
May 28, 2020, 01:40:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ancient Crash, Epic Wave
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/14/healthscience/web.1114meteor.php?page=1

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Obama Timeline: Part II

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Obama Timeline: Part II  (Read 2931 times)
Harconen
Superhero Member

« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2009, 06:00:52 pm »

A “Where’s the Birth Certificate?” billboard ad is placed on I-35 in Waco, Texas. [3660]

Reports surface of a man wrongly sent to prison who had to spend an additional six years behind bars because Judge Sonia Sotomayor his appeal based on a technicality. Jeff Deskovic’s attorney had been told by a court clerk that his appeal had to be mailed by a certain date. It turned out that the appeal had to be received by the court by that date. Judge Sotomayor—nominated by Obama for the Supreme Court because of her empathy—showed none in denying Deskovic’s appeal. The dismissal stated that the mailing mishap did not “rise to the level of an extraordinary circumstance.” Because of the clerk’s misinformation and the court’s dismissal of the appeal, Deskovic languished in jail for six more years, until DNA testing proved his innocence and set him free. Deskovic states that “…a high-minded moral standard is what we, as a society, should expect and seek from all our judges, especially a Supreme Court justice. But considering that we are talking about a lifetime appointment to the nation’s highest court, we should see if, in practice, her rulings reflect that. A review of her record in my case shows that Sotomayor’s practice does not live up to her promise. All seven of my appeals were turned down. Two stops along the way were in Sotomayor's courtroom.” [3662]

The North Korean ship being tailed by U.S. Navy vessels turns around and heads back to the communist nation. The ship was suspected of transporting weapons or missile parts, in violation of United Nations resolutions. [3699]

Judge Richard H. Zoller, overseeing a case involving an ACORN worker accused of violating election laws, tells prosecutors to after ACORN as well. The worker, trying to meet the quota for voter registrations required by ACORN, even registered himself three times. It is illegal to pay workers based on how many voter registrations they can collect. The employee’s attorney states, “ACORN should be charged, not my client.” [3681]

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, a daily jogger, tells Runner’s World magazine she would beat Obama in a race. “I betcha I’d have more endurance. My one claim to fame in my own little internal running circle is a sub-four marathon. What I lacked in physical strength or skill, I made up for in determination and endurance.” (Palin’s comment prompts many to wonder if she could best Obama politically in November 2012.) [3671]

Report Spam   Logged

Ignis Natura Renovandum Integra
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: