Atlantis Online
May 28, 2020, 02:19:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Has the Location of the Center City of Atlantis Been Identified?
http://www.mysterious-america.net/hasatlantisbeenf.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Obama Timeline: Part II

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Obama Timeline: Part II  (Read 2931 times)
Harconen
Superhero Member

« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2009, 05:51:36 pm »

Although ABC pledged that its “Prescription for America” special would be objective, the audience consisted only of people who dislike the current health care system and want change. All 164 hand-picked guests said they felt the system needed to be changed. Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett tells the audience, "I want to emphasize that the president has not seen the questions ahead of time"—which prompted laughter. Columnist Michelle Malkin points out that Obama’s audience was “filled with backroom players and a supporting cast of socialized medicine activists and ideologues.” Questions came from people like Jason Rosenbaum (a Washington lobbyist for national health care), a member of the Service Employees International Union (which contributed heavily to Obama’s campaign), and Debby Smith (a cancer patient who volunteers for Obama’s Organizing for America group and has worked on various Obama projects). The “town hall meeting” was anything but, stacked as it was with promoters of Obama and national health care. [3707]

The Business and Media Institute examined the ABC specials and reported afterward that very little time was allotted for audience questions, with Obama giving inordinately lengthy and broad answers that often failed to answer the questions with any specificity. Overall, the programming was as predicted: one long infomercial for Obama’s national health plan, with ABC doing its best to prevent opposing viewpoints. [3613, 3707]

Few Americans watched the ABC specials promoting Obama’s health care agenda. Even ABC itself, which was accused of giving Obama free time for an “infomercial,” had criticisms. ABC’s Jake Tapper and Karen Travers comment, “President Obama struggled to explain today whether his health care reform proposals would force normal Americans to make sacrifices that wealthier, more powerful people—like the president himself—wouldn’t face.” Obama refused to promise that he would not try to get that special care for his own family members, saying if “it’s my family member, if it’s my wife, if it’s my children, if it’s my grandmother, I always want them to get the very best care.” ABC’s Charles Gibson asks Obama why people should support a program without knowing the details or what limitations will be placed on their care. Obama responds by saying that Americans “know they’re living with the devil, but the devil they know instead of the devil they don’t.” (In other words, Americans will have to trust his judgment.) Obama did his best to avoid direct answers to many questions. When a woman talked about the difficulty her 100-year-old mother had getting a heart pacemaker, Obama replied, “We’re not going to solve every single one of these very difficult decisions at end of life. Ultimately that’s going to be between physicians and patients.” (Obama’s answer still left viewers wondering whether his plan would ration care to the elderly.) Ultimately, Obama provided few details or reassurances—just more sales pitch: “We have to have the courage and the willingness to cooperate and compromise in order to make this happen. And if we do, it’s not going to be a completely smooth ride, there’s going to be times over the next several months where we think health care is dead, it’s not going to happen but if we keep our eye on the prize… then I’m absolutely convinced that we can get it done this time.” [3606]

An Iranian blogger describes the massacre of demonstrators in Tehran’s Baharestan Square (which is fast becoming Iran’s “Tiananmen Square”). More than 10,000 Basij militia members (many hired from outside Iran) take position in the square; army helicopters fly overhead; the streets swarm with military forces, plainclothes police, and other security forces; “the shooting has started;” “A girl is shot and the police is not allowing to let them help;” “In Baharestan we saw militia with axe choping people like meat—blood everywhere—like butcher.” Innocent people are bludgeoned and axed to death. Women are specific targets, sometimes thrown to their deaths from pedestrian bridges to the pavement below. Obama’s response is to “see how the situation plays out,” as he makes frivolous public statements like, “…there are sets of international norms and principles about violence,” “the international community is watching,” and “…there is a peaceful path that will lead to stability and legitimacy (of the Iranian regime) and prosperity for the Iranian people. We hope they take it.” The more Obama makes inane statements while doing nothing, the more the Iran leaders believe they can get away with anything. (They certainly do not fear a “strongly worded letter of condemnation” from the United Nations” or a scolding from Obama made through Jimmy Carter.) [3605]

Report Spam   Logged

Ignis Natura Renovandum Integra
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: