Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 03:09:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

History of the Peloponnesian War

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History of the Peloponnesian War  (Read 7939 times)
the 300 Spartans
Superhero Member

« Reply #705 on: December 31, 2009, 04:27:46 am »

55That Hippias was the eldest son and succeeded to the government, is what I positively assert as a fact upon which I have had more exact accounts than others, and may be also ascertained by the following circumstance. He is the only one of the legitimate brothers that appears to have had children; as the altar shows, and the pillar placed in the Athenian Acropolis, commemorating the crime of the tyrants, which mentions no child of Thessalus or of Hipparchus, but five of Hippias, which he had by Myrrhine, daughter of Callias, son of Hyperechides; and naturally the eldest would have married first. Again, his name comes first on the pillar after that of his father; and this too is quite natural, as he was the eldest after him, and the reigning tyrant. Nor can I ever believe that Hippias would have obtained the tyranny so easily, if Hipparchus had been in power when he was killed, and he, Hippias, had had to establish himself upon the same day; but he had no doubt been long accustomed to overawe the
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: