Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 03:58:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates outraged at arrest at his home

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates outraged at arrest at his home  (Read 9719 times)
Harconen
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 10:29:02 pm »

LOL.

B,

You was right, sometimes they hunt in pairs.
Report Spam   Logged

Ignis Natura Renovandum Integra
Human Torch

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 01:35:47 am »

Or threes.

There is a long history of the police in America pulling minorities for no reason.  DWBs, they are called:  "Driving While Black."
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 06:02:55 am »

Skip Gates, please sit down

You are suffering from what I call the "Ivy League Effect"

Editor's note:

This column originally appeared on the Web site "This Week in Blackness," which is maintained by Brooklyn, N.Y., comedian Elon James White. The person who submitted it to "This Week in Blackness" published it under the pseudonym "a Phantom Negro" because "Dr. Henry Louis Gates has reach and influence in the academy."

By a Phantom Negro
Salon.com
July 24, 2009

The Ivy League is not real life. College in general is not real life, and the Ivy League is a more fantastic version of college. The amenities are better, the rules are flexible, and everyone, student and faculty alike, is well aware that the realities of life as most people know it are merely a peculiar footnote to the day-to-day of campus life. I do not speak out of turn when I say this. I know because I am in and of that world.

As a black Ivy Leaguer, something funny happens as you become ensconced in ivy. You’re smart enough to understand that race and racism are a reality you deal with on a daily basis, but you also know that your university ID sets you apart. Does this mean you are kept from hurtful incidents? No, but it is to say that much of the outrage felt at a racial slight is replaced by outrage at a class slight. Sure, we get pissed, knowing we’re getting hassled because we’re black, but the real indignation comes from being hassled as members of an elite group. How dare you hassle me? I go to school here. I go to work here. That second part of the thought is always present. I go to school here. I go to work here. When the Ivy League Effect is going full tilt, our black compass gets confused; the realities we know to exist become other people's problems.

True story:

One night, years ago, many of the black students at school were throwing a party in a dormitory common area when three police officers arrived, flashlights searching the crowd. Nobody moved, nobody left, nobody did anything but keep dancing as three police officers walked through the crowd, flashlights in faces. I didn’t run either. In fact, I wondered if they were chasing someone on foot and wondered if the person they were chasing had run into the party.

That could only happen in the Ivy League. Three cops come into a party and nobody, surreptitiously or otherwise, made for an exit? It seems like the beginning of a joke. On one hand, you could argue that this is a sign of progress; a sign that we’ve moved past the days of fearing police presence. I say that that quasi-luxury is brought on by the muscle backing these students (and, by extension, the faculty) -- the school. All the lessons about dealing with police as a black person seem to have no place in the ivory tower. We can forget those lessons because, more than we’re black in America, we’re Ivy Leaguers.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 06:09:30 am »

Which brings me to Skip Gates. He isn’t outraged because he feels he was the victim of racial profiling by the police (that dubious honor goes to his foolish neighbor) [in fact, the woman who called the police is not a neighbor, but works nearby]. He’s outraged because he was the victim of class profiling. He didn’t resent being identified as black; he resented being identified as that kind of black, the kind of black that can be hassled and pushed around by simpleton cops. How dare you hassle me? I’m Skip Gates: Harvard professor!

Skip has fallen victim to the Ivy League Effect. Check out his articles -- you can definitely go to the Root -- the Web site he is editor in chief of -- if you want to see a repository for the whole masturbatory display. He all but says, “Do I look like that type of (black) person? I was wearing a blazer and a polo shirt!” Gates is Ivy League pissed with a dash of black anger. Not the other way around. Is this to say the police weren’t in the wrong? Hardly. As a person who is familiar with the Cambridge/Boston P.D., I can say that the prospect of some procedural malfeasance on their part is entirely believable, if not an abject certainty.

But I’m also sure the good doctor was talking some ****. The Ivy League Effect, when it’s potent, wouldn’t allow otherwise. It made Gates forget that, no matter what, even when you’re right, you don’t talk **** to the police. And that’s not a matter of manhood or pride; it’s a question of survival. Why? Because you’re black before you’re a Harvard professor. Because, in an extreme case, you can’t tell your side of the story if you get shot reaching for your ID. As a black man and a Harvard professor, Gates’ thought process should have been: “Wow. I am so thoroughly pissed right now. When this current situation is resolved and I am out of harm’s way, I’m going down to the station and I’m going to use my considerable influence to make heads roll. But right now, I need to be the smart one, remember all the details and not give him any reason to escalate this situation.” That’s what many of my colleagues have done, guns drawn on them at night in the middle of campus by the police. They didn’t get loud; they got smart. They defused the situation, then got pissed and did something about it. And, I assure you, they did so with much less juice than Dr. Gates.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 06:12:02 am »

I remember when I heard about the story, I couldn’t help thinking: Wow, that Ivy League Effect has washed out his healthy fear of the police. Yikes.

Can he be outraged? Absolutely. The circumstance should outrage any person that happened to. But why is he outraged? Because he didn’t think the black tax applied to him anymore. In his mind, he was Skip Gates, well-regarded Harvard professor who was being treated poorly in his home by the police. Believe me, if this took place at North Carolina State his sense of indignation would be far different and his ability to garner attention would be much less. And if he was just a working-class stiff? Forget it.

But this didn’t happen anywhere else. It happened in Cambridge on Ivy turf and now his story has taken on Paul Bunyan-esque qualities. If you didn’t know better, you’d think a lynch mob was waiting outside Gates’ door with the rope and the hitching wagon before Ving Rhames came along and saved the day.

Skip Gates thought that he’d worked hard enough, achieved enough, become Harvard enough that this sort of treatment did not apply to him. And now, rather than channel that outrage in a way that is subtle but effective, he’s very publicly suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, having "joined the ranks of the million incarcerated black men in America." That’s laughable. He does not see those million men as kin and he doesn’t, by and large, give a damn about those guys. He’s merely annoyed that such an irritation as police misconduct found its way into his home. If he read about this story happening to a plumber in Roxbury, he’d shake his head in disappointment and then go on with his life.

So before we heed the call of racism, let’s be mindful of the tower from which that call came. This has something to do with race. But it has a lot more to do with messing with Skip Gates.

The Ivy League Effect, people. The Ivy League Effect.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2009/07/24/gates/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:13:33 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 06:21:16 am »

Ironically, it turns out Gates house had been burglarized before which is why his door didn't work right. So the police knew this house had been hit.

Next time it happens - and I'm sure NOW it will - no neighbour is going to call the police if they see
anything going on but, maybe, the police wouldn't turn up to investigate, either.

Nice going, PROFESSOR Gates!!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:23:32 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 06:25:30 am »

OBAMA ON THE ARREST

Obama was asked about the arrest of Gates, who is his friend, at the end of a nationally televised news conference on health care Wednesday night.

"I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry," Obama said. "Number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. And number three -- what I think we know separate and apart from this incident -- is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that's just a fact."
Report Spam   Logged

Meredith Sierrita

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 11:28:00 am »

Ironically, it turns out Gates house had been burglarized before which is why his door didn't work right. So the police knew this house had been hit.

Next time it happens - and I'm sure NOW it will - no neighbour is going to call the police if they see
anything going on but, maybe, the police wouldn't turn up to investigate, either.

Nice going, PROFESSOR Gates!!!

Given how they treated him last time, Bianca, why on earth would he want to call them?  The cops in this country these days are every bit as much of a threat as the criminals. Look up cops tasering people on Youtube and you'll see what I mean.

And they do it to everybody, too, not just black people.
Report Spam   Logged
Meredith Sierrita

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 11:31:13 am »

Henry Louis Gates Reacts To Obama's Remarks During Gayle King Interview (AUDIO)

First Posted: 07-23-09 09:18 PM   |   Updated: 07-23-09 09:37 PM

Henry Louis "Skip" Gates gave his first reaction to Obama's comments on his arrest during an interview with Gayle King on Sirius/XM radio.

Gates was eating dinner during the press conference when a friend called to inform him that Obama had commented on the arrest:

all of a sudden I thought my blackberry was going to explode... I said oh my goodness what did he say... 'I have to wait for the facts...?'...and he said no he said 'the Cambridge Police were stupid and that you were friends'...I went..my god. And then the emails...it was like a slot machine. I got 500 emails last night.
King said she was surprised at Obama's choice of words, saying the police had acted "stupidly." Gates replied, "I think that the circumstances are so egregious...that...it was the adjective that...logically popped into his head."

GAYLE KING: ...did you happen to be watching the news conference when he said that?

HENRY LOUIS GATES, JR: ...I was having dinner with a friend on the upper east side in a little private Italian restaurant and all of a sudden I thought my blackberry was going to explode. And the first call...it was from Angela...Angela DeLeon...[saying] Barack Obama just mentioned you in his news conference...

I said oh my goodness what did he say... 'I have to wait for the facts...?'...and he said no he said 'the Cambridge Police were stupid and that you were friends'...I went..my god. And then the emails...it was like a slot machine. I got 500 emails last night.

GAYLE KING: I was surprised by his choice of words..that he said the Cambridge Police acted 'stupidly.' I agree with him, but I was surprised that the President of the United States would use that particular phrase.

HENRY LOUIS GATES, JR: I think that the circumstances are so egregious...that...it was the adjective that...logically popped into his head. I haven't listened to a lot of the commentary but the people who want to protect the police and who are afraid of criminals like I'm afraid of criminals...are looking for something that I could have done to justify Sergeant Crowley's actions. There's nothing that I could have done to justify Sergeant Crowley's action.
Report Spam   Logged
Michael Terranova
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 01:20:01 pm »

Union chief: Obama should apologize to Cambridge police
Story Highlights
NEW: Union chief: Cambridge police are owed an apology from President Obama

Report: Officer says he was "disappointed" Obama opined without all facts

Sgt. James Crowley facing allegations of racism after responding to break-in report

Officers, including police commissioner, defend Crowley, citing his record

updated 1 hour, 1 minute agoNext Article in U.S. »

Read VIDEO

CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts (CNN) -- President Obama should apologize to members of the Cambridge Police Department for saying they acted stupidly, the president of the city's police union said Friday.

Sgt. Jim Crowley says he is disappointed President Obama opined on the matter without having all the facts.

1 of 3  Dennis O'Connor, president of the Cambridge Police Superior Officers Association, said at a news conference that Obama should not have criticized officers' actions in last week's arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr.

Sgt. James Crowley, the officer who arrested Gates for disorderly conduct, has previously said he was dismayed by the president's remarks and that Obama had offended police in Cambridge and elsewhere.

"I was a little surprised and disappointed that the president, who didn't have all of the facts by his own admission, then weighed in on the events of that night and made a comment that really offended not just officers in the Cambridge Police Department but officers around the country," Crowley told CNN affiliate WHDH-TV in Boston.

Obama, however, stood by his comment, saying he is "surprised by the controversy surrounding" it.

"I think it was a pretty straightforward commentary that you probably don't need to handcuff a guy, a middle-aged man who uses a cane, who's in his own home," Obama told ABC's "Nightline."  Watch Crowley's boss defend the arrest »

When Obama waded into the story by answering a question about it during his news conference Wednesday night, he admitted that he "may be a little biased" because Gates is a friend.

Don't Miss
Police commissioner stands by professor's arrest
Read Gate's arrest report (PDF)
Mayor: Gates' arrest shouldn't have happened
Charge dropped against Harvard professor
"I don't know all the facts," he also conceded.

He said he did not know what role race played, but "the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home." iReport.com: Arrest sparks debate

Crowley, in the police report about the incident, said Gates refused to cooperate with him and repeatedly accusing him of racism when he went to Gates' home following a report of a possible break-in July 16.

Crowley said he tried to determine whether there was someone else at the home and wanted to ensure Gates' safety.

Gates, however, told him "that I had no idea who I was 'messing' with" and was being so loud that he could not give pertinent information to the department when he was calling in, the sergeant said.

Authorities have said they may release tapes of the officer calling in, in which Gates is heard in the background

Crowley's report said that when he asked to speak with Gates outside, the professor at one point responded, "I'll speak with your mama outside."  Watch Crowley's response »

Gates' attorney, Charles Ogletree, said the professor never made such a remark.

The full story will show that Gates did nothing wrong -- and that Crowley did not identify himself at first, Ogletree said.

Gates said Wednesday he would listen to Crowley "if he would tell the truth about what he did, about the distortions that he fabricated in the police report. I would be prepared as a human being to forgive him."

Crowley has said he will not apologize. The police incident report states that Crowley twice provided his name to Gates, who subsequently asked for it two more times.

Gates ultimately was arrested for disorderly conduct, but the department later dropped the charges.

Cambridge police Commissioner Robert Haas said he "deeply regrets" the arrest but stands by the procedures his department followed.

"I trust [Crowley's] judgment implicitly. He is a stellar officer," Haas said.

He added the department is "very proud about its diversity within this community and how hard we've worked over the years to build a strong, solid relationship [between] the department and the community."

Haas said he agreed with Crowley about Obama's remarks.

"I have to tell you the officers take that very personally and basically feel hurt by that comment. We truly are trying to do the best service we can to the community and sometimes we make mistakes. We're human. But we learn from those mistakes and we move on," he said.

Numerous police officers, including African-Americans, have spoken up on Crowley's behalf and portrayed him as a good and fair officer. Crowley, who is white, had once been chosen by a black police officer to teach a police academy course on ways to avoid racial profiling.

Obama said he had heard of Crowley's record, saying, "I don't know all the extenuating circumstances, and as I said, I respect what police officers do. From what I can tell, the sergeant who was involved is an outstanding police officer, but my suspicion is probably it would have been better if cooler heads prevailed."

Gates' legal team argues that authorities are misrepresenting the professor and the officer, and Gates has said he is determined to keep the issue alive despite the charges being dropped.

"This is not about me; this is about the vulnerability of black men in America," he said this week.

Ogletree said Gates might sue the department and would bring forward witnesses who say they've had similar experiences with Crowley.

When asked for examples, Ogletree said only that they may come out in time depending on how the police department handles the situation moving forward.

"I think you will be hearing much more complex and different perspective on him [Crowley] in the coming days and weeks," Ogletree said, alleging that Crowley "is well-known among people, particularly young people, for some of his police practices."

CNN's Joe Johns and Don Lemon contributed to this report.

Report Spam   Logged
Michael Terranova
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 01:25:33 pm »

Crowley said he tried to determine whether there was someone else at the home and wanted to ensure Gates' safety.

Then why didn't he mention searching the house after he got Gates out of it?

Answer:  because the police report is complete bull ****. If he was concerned about their being an intruder, then he would have checked the house.  He also says that Gates walked outside the house and was then arrested.  Then why the pictures show the guy getting dragged out of the house in handcuffs?

This cop got "offended" simply put because he had a black guy talking back at him who he considered "uppity."

The bull **** about demanding an apology from Obama is no doubt cause he is considered "uppity" as well. 

As for the police all across the country supposedly being offended by this because there is no way that one of their own could have done something wrong, screw them. Cops these days are one step away from becoming Mussolini's blackshirts.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 02:11:01 pm »

July 24, 2009
American Thinker
By Heather Agins

Dear Mr. President,

As I was driving home from taking my three year old son to school this morning I overheard a conversation on the radio about a Harvard professor being arrested for breaking into his own home.  There was a slight debate as to whether or not this was a form of racial profiling because Professor Gates happened to be a black man.  In disgust I turned the volume down but a few moments later something made me turn it back up.  That something was your voice and a particular description of the police force that I found to be quite shocking!  I thought for a moment that perhaps I had heard wrong but lucky for me several radio stations were replaying your comments on the incident and so it was confirmed.  You stated "the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody" and went on to mention "the long history within this country of African American and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement officers disproportionately...."

I am the wife of a police officer and have worked as a law enforcement dispatcher for the past three years.  Needless to say my blood was boiling and as a matter of fact it still is.  Because I myself was exposed to the level of crime that male and female law enforcements officers are faced with on a daily basis, I think I may have more of an idea than you.  Because I had to listen to my husband over a radio 50 miles away become nervous on a traffic stop in the middle of the night - I think I may have more of an idea than you.  I've had to listen to the sound of my husband's voice after just being involved in a major accident because of a drunk driver and because of this I think I may have more of an idea than you.  Every day that my husband goes to work he is putting his life on the line.  He is putting the life that we have built together on the line to serve and protect innocent people from becoming innocent victims.  Every night that he works I am unable to sleep and every morning he is expected to come home I pray that he does. 

I am fortunate that my husband has worked with two agencies whose crime rates are not as high as others.  But every time he makes an arrest he must drive through certain areas of Miami that I wouldn't see my worst enemy through. 

As I'm sure you already know but perhaps others may not, the statistics from national crime rates are drawn from a federal survey called the National Crime Victimization Survey.  If I understand correctly, this survey is given to hundreds of thousands of victims in America and asks them among other questions about the race of the criminals who victimized them.  The results of these surveys are almost entirely consistent with the results of arrest records.  Wouldn't you know it, the majority of these surveys and arrest records indicated that blacks and Hispanics are the victimizers of these crimes. 

Police officers make use of what criminological surveys tell us about who is and who isn't likely to commit certain crimes so that violent criminals don't go un-apprehended.  Otherwise, what's the purpose of the survey?  Perhaps in order to eliminate "racial profiling" we should do away with the survey all together.

I think it's safe to say that a common prejudice is that men are more likely to commit violent crimes than women, and younger people more so than older.   I don't hear you objecting to sexual discrimination or ageism for that matter.  Criminal profiling shows that serial killers are almost always white.   Police investigations of serial murders almost always target white males because of this statistic.  I haven't once heard you make mention of this in your "racial profiling" speeches.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 02:13:00 pm »

Studies of large urban samples show that gang members are responsible for a large proportion of violent crimes.  The most recent National Youth Gang Survey indicated 35% of gang members were African American, 49% were Hispanic, 9% were white, and the remaining 7% as other.  So how do you say "no racial profiling" to the members of Violent Gang Safe Streets Task Force, whom I'm sure use these statistics in addressing the violent crimes that are plaguing our communities.

The use of firearms is a major feature of gang violence.  Gang members are far more likely to carry a fire arm than your average juvenile delinquent.  In the 2000 NYGS, 84% of the gang problems were reported to have at least once occurrence of firearm use by one or more gang members in an assault crime.  These gang members who carried guns are also likely to commit ten times more violent crimes than those who didn't carry a firearm.  So what do you say to the police officer who is aware of all these statistics and is on a traffic stop in the middle of the night with a "hooptie-like" vehicle containing 3 or more Hispanic and African American males in the middle of the worst neighborhood in North Miami Beach?   

What do you say, Mr. President?  Do you advise this officer not to place his/her hand on their firearm because that may be considered racial profiling?  Do you say stop thinking about your family and allowing your life to flash before your eyes because this is racial profiling?  Do you say ignore all of those statistics and the evidence of those statistics that you happen to see on a daily basis -- because that's racial profiling? 

Over the past four decades since the "civil rights" movement, crime statistics have shown that millions of crimes have been committed by African-Americans and other non-white predators against white people.  Some of these crimes include robbery, assault, **** and murder.  Why are these crime rates so disproportionate to the number of White crimes against Blacks and Hispanics? 

Perhaps instead of calling Police officers stupid and going on and on about how African Americans and Hispanics are victims of law enforcement officers you should ask yourself why.  Why does a law enforcement officer get nervous when he's on a call with someone who is believed to be dangerous and happens to be black or Hispanic?  Why is the crime rate so high among African Americans and Hispanics?  Why is the number of African Americans and Hispanics involved in gang related violence so much higher than that of whites?  Perhaps we should start there. 

Perhaps instead placing the blame on others for the victimization of African Americans and Hispanics you should address the fact that they are victims of themselves.  Perhaps you find a way to help them help themselves!  And then when the crime rates begin to drop among this group of people you might find that our police officers who are known to "act stupidly" might be a little less on edge.

Perhaps we should just do away with all racial profiling.  National security...   Who needs it?  I mean if we're so concerned about African Americans and Hispanics what about the Islamic extremists?  They have feelings too.

Back in 2001, FBI agent Williams wanted to investigate certain militant Muslim men whom he suspected of training in U.S. flight schools as part of al-Qaeda missions.  His recommendation was rejected by Director Robert Mueller because of concerns that the plan could be viewed as discriminatory racial profiling.  Since then Director Mueller has acknowledged that perhaps if he hadn't rejected such a notion the Twin Towers may still be standing and 3,000 innocent people may still be alive.  How about that?!

My heart goes out to all of those innocent people who are burdened because of criminals and terrorists who share their race, nationality, or religion.  But I would think any inconvenience is preferable to knowing others out there are suffering because we've decided to walk on egg shells rather than to face the real issues at hand.  Don't you?

Sincerely,

Heather Agins

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/07/dear_mr_president.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:18:47 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Harconen
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 02:32:47 pm »

The cloward-piven strategy was mentioned last night. I had to google it. http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/groupProfile.asp?grpid=6967
Folks I believe Obama had every intention of following the cloward-piven strategy. Maybe he still does. I'm hopeful that some in Washington realized what was happening and are stopping it. I wrote the following a week ago before I knew about the cloward-piven strategy..... "I'm beginning to think he is intentionally trying to destroy this country. Throw it into turmoil. An excuse to take all our guns, do away with our dollar and the constitution, stay in power for life, and start a one world (what he considers a utopian) government. Our only saving grace might be the military. They are sworn to uphold the constitution and I hope and pray our top brass has the b**ls to do just that".... I think with the cat out of the bag he might be stopped. Washington needs to be cleaned up big time. It's a den of thieves and traitors.

Strategy for forcing political change through orchestrated crisis

First proposed in 1966 and named after Columbia University sociologists Richard Andrew Cloward and Frances Fox Piven, the "Cloward-Piven Strategy" seeks to hasten the fall of capitalism by overloading the government bureaucracy with a flood of impossible demands, thus pushing society into crisis and economic collapse.

Inspired by the August 1965 riots in the black district of Watts in Los Angeles (which erupted after police had used batons to subdue a black man suspected of drunk driving), Cloward and Piven published an article titled "The Weight of the Poor: A Strategy to End Poverty" in the May 2, 1966 issue of The Nation. Following its publication, The Nation sold an unprecedented 30,000 reprints. Activists were abuzz over the so-called "crisis strategy" or "Cloward-Piven Strategy," as it came to be called. Many were eager to put it into effect.

In their 1966 article, Cloward and Piven charged that the ruling classes used welfare to weaken the poor; that by providing a social safety net, the rich doused the fires of rebellion. Poor people can advance only when "the rest of society is afraid of them," Cloward told The New York Times on September 27, 1970. Rather than placating the poor with government hand-outs, wrote Cloward and Piven, activists should work to sabotage and destroy the welfare system; the collapse of the welfare state would ignite a political and financial crisis that would rock the nation; poor people would rise in revolt; only then would "the rest of society" accept their demands.

The key to sparking this rebellion would be to expose the inadequacy of the welfare state. Cloward-Piven's early promoters cited radical organizer Saul Alinsky as their inspiration. "Make the enemy live up to their (sic) own book of rules," Alinsky wrote in his 1972 book Rules for Radicals. When pressed to honor every word of every law and statute, every Judaeo-Christian moral tenet, and every implicit promise of the liberal social contract, human agencies inevitably fall short. The system's failure to "live up" to its rule book can then be used to discredit it altogether, and to replace the capitalist "rule book" with a socialist one.

The authors noted that the number of Americans subsisting on welfare -- about 8 million, at the time -- probably represented less than half the number who were technically eligible for full benefits. They proposed a "massive drive to recruit the poor onto the welfare rolls."  Cloward and Piven calculated that persuading even a fraction of potential welfare recipients to demand their entitlements would bankrupt the system. The result, they predicted, would be "a profound financial and political crisis" that would unleash "powerful forces … for major economic reform at the national level."

Their article called for "cadres of aggressive organizers" to use "demonstrations to create a climate of militancy." Intimidated by threats of black violence, politicians would appeal to the federal government for help. Carefully orchestrated media campaigns, carried out by friendly, leftwing journalists, would float the idea of "a federal program of income redistribution," in the form of a guaranteed living income for all -- working and non-working people alike. Local officials would clutch at this idea like drowning men to a lifeline. They would apply pressure on Washington to implement it. With every major city erupting into chaos, Washington would have to act.

This was an example of what are commonly called Trojan Horse movements -- mass movements whose outward purpose seems to be providing material help to the downtrodden, but whose real objective is to draft poor people into service as revolutionary foot soldiers; to mobilize poor people en masse to overwhelm government agencies with a flood of demands beyond the capacity of those agencies to meet. The flood of demands was calculated to break the budget, jam the bureaucratic gears into gridlock, and bring the system crashing down. Fear, turmoil, violence and economic collapse would accompany such a breakdown -- providing perfect conditions for fostering radical change. That was the theory.

Cloward and Piven recruited a militant black organizer named George Wiley to lead their new movement. In the summer of 1967, Wiley founded the National Welfare Rights Organization (NWRO). His tactics closely followed the recommendations set out in Cloward and Piven's article. His followers invaded welfare offices across the United States -- often violently -- bullying social workers and loudly demanding every penny to which the law "entitled" them. By 1969, NWRO claimed a dues-paying membership of 22,500 families, with 523 chapters across the nation.

Regarding Wiley's tactics, The New York Times commented on September 27, 1970, "There have been sit-ins in legislative chambers, including a United States Senate committee hearing, mass demonstrations of several thousand welfare recipients, school boycotts, picket lines, mounted police, tear gas, arrests - and, on occasion, rock-throwing, smashed glass doors, overturned desks, scattered papers and ripped-out phones."These methods proved effective. "The flooding succeeded beyond Wiley's wildest dreams," writes Sol Stern in the City Journal.  "From 1965 to 1974, the number of single-parent households on welfare soared from 4.3 million to 10.8 million, despite mostly flush economic times. By the early 1970s, one person was on the welfare rolls in New York City for every two working in the city's private economy."As a direct result of its massive welfare spending, New York City was forced to declare bankruptcy in 1975. The entire state of New York nearly went down with it. The Cloward-Piven strategy had proved its effectiveness.

The Cloward-Piven strategy depended on surprise. Once society recovered from the initial shock, the backlash began. New York's welfare crisis horrified America, giving rise to a reform movement which culminated in "the end of welfare as we know it" -- the 1996 Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act, which imposed time limits on federal welfare, along with strict eligibility and work requirements. Both Cloward and Piven attended the White House signing of the bill as guests of President Clinton.

Most Americans to this day have never heard of Cloward and Piven. But New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani attempted to expose them in the late 1990s. As his drive for welfare reform gained momentum, Giuliani accused the militant scholars by name, citing their 1966 manifesto as evidence that they had engaged in deliberate economic sabotage. "This wasn't an accident," Giuliani charged in a 1997 speech. "It wasn't an atmospheric thing, it wasn't supernatural. This is the result of policies and programs designed to have the maximum number of people get on welfare."

Cloward and Piven never again revealed their intentions as candidly as they had in their 1966 article. Even so, their activism in subsequent years continued to rely on the tactic of overloading the system. When the public caught on to their welfare scheme, Cloward and Piven simply moved on, applying pressure to other sectors of the bureaucracy, wherever they detected weakness.

In 1982, partisans of the Cloward-Piven strategy founded a new "voting rights movement," which purported to take up the unfinished work of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Like ACORN, the organization that spear-headed this campaign, the new "voting rights" movement was led by veterans of George Wiley's welfare rights crusade. Its flagship organizations were Project Vote and Human SERVE, both founded in 1982. Project Vote is an ACORN front group, launched by former NWRO organizer and ACORN co-founder Zach Polett. Human SERVE was founded by Richard A. Cloward and Frances Fox Piven, along with a former NWRO organizer named Hulbert James.

All three of these organizations -- ACORN, Project Vote and Human SERVE -- set to work lobbying energetically for the so-called Motor-Voter law, which Bill Clinton ultimately signed in 1993. The Motor-Voter bill is largely responsible for swamping the voter rolls with "dead  wood" -- invalid registrations signed in the name of deceased, ineligible or non-existent people -- thus opening the door to the unprecedented  levels of voter fraud and "voter disenfranchisement" claims that followed in subsequent elections.

The new "voting rights" coalition combines mass voter registration drives -- typically featuring high levels of fraud -- with systematic intimidation of election officials in the form of frivolous lawsuits, unfounded charges of "racism" and "disenfranchisement," and "direct action" (street protests, violent or otherwise). Just as they swamped America's welfare offices in the 1960s, Cloward-Piven devotees now seek to overwhelm the nation's understaffed and poorly policed electoral system. Their tactics set the stage for the Florida recount crisis of 2000, and have introduced a level of fear, tension and foreboding to U.S. elections heretofore encountered mainly in Third World countries. 

Both the Living Wage and Voting Rights movements depend heavily on financial support from George Soros's Open Society Institute and his "Shadow Party," through whose support the Cloward-Piven strategy continues to provide a blueprint for some of the Left's most ambitious campaigns.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:34:59 pm by Harconen » Report Spam   Logged

Ignis Natura Renovandum Integra
Jeanetta Clash
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 04:31:36 pm »

Studies of large urban samples show that gang members are responsible for a large proportion of violent crimes.  The most recent National Youth Gang Survey indicated 35% of gang members were African American, 49% were Hispanic, 9% were white, and the remaining 7% as other.  So how do you say "no racial profiling" to the members of Violent Gang Safe Streets Task Force, whom I'm sure use these statistics in addressing the violent crimes that are plaguing our communities.

The use of firearms is a major feature of gang violence.  Gang members are far more likely to carry a fire arm than your average juvenile delinquent.  In the 2000 NYGS, 84% of the gang problems were reported to have at least once occurrence of firearm use by one or more gang members in an assault crime.  These gang members who carried guns are also likely to commit ten times more violent crimes than those who didn't carry a firearm.  So what do you say to the police officer who is aware of all these statistics and is on a traffic stop in the middle of the night with a "hooptie-like" vehicle containing 3 or more Hispanic and African American males in the middle of the worst neighborhood in North Miami Beach?   

What do you say, Mr. President?  Do you advise this officer not to place his/her hand on their firearm because that may be considered racial profiling?  Do you say stop thinking about your family and allowing your life to flash before your eyes because this is racial profiling?  Do you say ignore all of those statistics and the evidence of those statistics that you happen to see on a daily basis -- because that's racial profiling? 

Over the past four decades since the "civil rights" movement, crime statistics have shown that millions of crimes have been committed by African-Americans and other non-white predators against white people.  Some of these crimes include robbery, assault, **** and murder.  Why are these crime rates so disproportionate to the number of White crimes against Blacks and Hispanics? 

Perhaps instead of calling Police officers stupid and going on and on about how African Americans and Hispanics are victims of law enforcement officers you should ask yourself why.  Why does a law enforcement officer get nervous when he's on a call with someone who is believed to be dangerous and happens to be black or Hispanic?  Why is the crime rate so high among African Americans and Hispanics?  Why is the number of African Americans and Hispanics involved in gang related violence so much higher than that of whites?  Perhaps we should start there. 

Perhaps instead placing the blame on others for the victimization of African Americans and Hispanics you should address the fact that they are victims of themselves.  Perhaps you find a way to help them help themselves!  And then when the crime rates begin to drop among this group of people you might find that our police officers who are known to "act stupidly" might be a little less on edge.

Perhaps we should just do away with all racial profiling.  National security...   Who needs it?  I mean if we're so concerned about African Americans and Hispanics what about the Islamic extremists?  They have feelings too.

Back in 2001, FBI agent Williams wanted to investigate certain militant Muslim men whom he suspected of training in U.S. flight schools as part of al-Qaeda missions.  His recommendation was rejected by Director Robert Mueller because of concerns that the plan could be viewed as discriminatory racial profiling.  Since then Director Mueller has acknowledged that perhaps if he hadn't rejected such a notion the Twin Towers may still be standing and 3,000 innocent people may still be alive.  How about that?!

My heart goes out to all of those innocent people who are burdened because of criminals and terrorists who share their race, nationality, or religion.  But I would think any inconvenience is preferable to knowing others out there are suffering because we've decided to walk on egg shells rather than to face the real issues at hand.  Don't you?

Sincerely,

Heather Agins

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/07/dear_mr_president.html

Yeah, but come on, Bianca, this guy was 5'6", elderly and used a cane to get around.  How much threat does any sane person think he posed?

It is a police officer's job to calm a situation down, and he didn't do that.  Once it was established that Gates lived there, the officer should have swallowed his pride, said something to conclude the situation and walk away.

There was no need to arrest him.

No need for back-up.

No need to haul an elderly little man out of his house because he didn't like his attitude.

The police in this country work for us, they aren't supposed to terrorize us.  We don't live in a police state, we have rights.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: