Atlantis Online
July 21, 2019, 10:48:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates outraged at arrest at his home

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates outraged at arrest at his home  (Read 4561 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 06:12:02 am »

I remember when I heard about the story, I couldnít help thinking: Wow, that Ivy League Effect has washed out his healthy fear of the police. Yikes.

Can he be outraged? Absolutely. The circumstance should outrage any person that happened to. But why is he outraged? Because he didnít think the black tax applied to him anymore. In his mind, he was Skip Gates, well-regarded Harvard professor who was being treated poorly in his home by the police. Believe me, if this took place at North Carolina State his sense of indignation would be far different and his ability to garner attention would be much less. And if he was just a working-class stiff? Forget it.

But this didnít happen anywhere else. It happened in Cambridge on Ivy turf and now his story has taken on Paul Bunyan-esque qualities. If you didnít know better, youíd think a lynch mob was waiting outside Gatesí door with the rope and the hitching wagon before Ving Rhames came along and saved the day.

Skip Gates thought that heíd worked hard enough, achieved enough, become Harvard enough that this sort of treatment did not apply to him. And now, rather than channel that outrage in a way that is subtle but effective, heís very publicly suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, having "joined the ranks of the million incarcerated black men in America." Thatís laughable. He does not see those million men as kin and he doesnít, by and large, give a damn about those guys. Heís merely annoyed that such an irritation as police misconduct found its way into his home. If he read about this story happening to a plumber in Roxbury, heíd shake his head in disappointment and then go on with his life.

So before we heed the call of racism, letís be mindful of the tower from which that call came. This has something to do with race. But it has a lot more to do with messing with Skip Gates.

The Ivy League Effect, people. The Ivy League Effect.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2009/07/24/gates/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:13:33 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: