Atlantis Online
November 22, 2019, 02:29:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates outraged at arrest at his home

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates outraged at arrest at his home  (Read 4625 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 06:09:30 am »

Which brings me to Skip Gates. He isnít outraged because he feels he was the victim of racial profiling by the police (that dubious honor goes to his foolish neighbor) [in fact, the woman who called the police is not a neighbor, but works nearby]. Heís outraged because he was the victim of class profiling. He didnít resent being identified as black; he resented being identified as that kind of black, the kind of black that can be hassled and pushed around by simpleton cops. How dare you hassle me? Iím Skip Gates: Harvard professor!

Skip has fallen victim to the Ivy League Effect. Check out his articles -- you can definitely go to the Root -- the Web site he is editor in chief of -- if you want to see a repository for the whole masturbatory display. He all but says, ďDo I look like that type of (black) person? I was wearing a blazer and a polo shirt!Ē Gates is Ivy League pissed with a dash of black anger. Not the other way around. Is this to say the police werenít in the wrong? Hardly. As a person who is familiar with the Cambridge/Boston P.D., I can say that the prospect of some procedural malfeasance on their part is entirely believable, if not an abject certainty.

But Iím also sure the good doctor was talking some ****. The Ivy League Effect, when itís potent, wouldnít allow otherwise. It made Gates forget that, no matter what, even when youíre right, you donít talk **** to the police. And thatís not a matter of manhood or pride; itís a question of survival. Why? Because youíre black before youíre a Harvard professor. Because, in an extreme case, you canít tell your side of the story if you get shot reaching for your ID. As a black man and a Harvard professor, Gatesí thought process should have been: ďWow. I am so thoroughly pissed right now. When this current situation is resolved and I am out of harmís way, Iím going down to the station and Iím going to use my considerable influence to make heads roll. But right now, I need to be the smart one, remember all the details and not give him any reason to escalate this situation.Ē Thatís what many of my colleagues have done, guns drawn on them at night in the middle of campus by the police. They didnít get loud; they got smart. They defused the situation, then got pissed and did something about it. And, I assure you, they did so with much less juice than Dr. Gates.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: