Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 04:34:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

How Excited Should We Be About Sotomayor's Confirmation?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Excited Should We Be About Sotomayor's Confirmation?  (Read 62 times)
Skinwalker
Superhero Member

« on: July 17, 2009, 12:18:49 pm »

I'm guessing the answer should be, "not too much."  Despite the Republicans' best efforts to paint her as a liberal, she is actually more of a moderate.  She has had rulings that supported big business, is far from an activist judge and (apparently) only marginally supports abortion rights.  A raging liberal, she is not, in fact, she may even be to the right of Souter, who she is replacing.

I am happy that there will be another woman on the court, and I really don’t think that the Supreme Court should be filled only with middle-aged white men. But the trend of the court recently has been away from the rights of the individual, towards the rights of the state and the big corporations.  We don't need another corporation booster on the court, we need more clearcut liberals.

Here's hoping that she is better than her record appears to be and that, in the next nomination, Obama can replace one of the conservatives blowhards on the court (namely Scalia or Thomas) with someone who actually supports the rights of the individual.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 12:56:27 pm »

I feel positive about her expected confirmation.  Let's face it.  Compared to Harriet Miers, she's a sterling example of jurisprudence! If she's a moderate, so much the better.  I'm so tired of a politicized Supreme Court, e.g., the 2000 election.

I don't think anyone should be nominated simply because they are a woman or a Latina, but when you look at history you can see that there has been an egregious imbalance, and this will help to correct that.  Yes, overall I believe the country will be well served with Sotomayor on the bench.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged
Skinwalker
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:04:50 pm »

Hi Tom,

No question that she's qualified, and I am hoping for the best.  But the Supreme Court is actually a crapshoot when it comes to selecting people based on their views.  The most liberal member of the court, for instance, John Paul Stevens, was appointed by Gerald Ford.  Souter was appointed by George H.W. Bush.  They expected them to be conservatives, and they weren't. I hope that Obama is certain of her positions as he leaves his mark.
Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 02:52:29 pm »

That's true.  And going back further, Eisenhower appointed Earl Warren!

Eisenhower later called it "the biggest damned-fool mistake I ever made."
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: