Atlantis Online
April 20, 2024, 04:21:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?
Research suggests our ancestors traveled the oceans 70,000 years ago
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20-did-humans-colonize-the-world-by-boat

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

ON THE ROAD: Centuries Of Roma Gypsies

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ON THE ROAD: Centuries Of Roma Gypsies  (Read 1315 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: July 18, 2009, 09:22:31 pm »

Grappling with a Roma identity 

VIDEO
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7591669.stm
Life on the Edge: Looking for my Gypsy roots

By Steve Bradshaw
Executive Producer,
Life on the Edge 
BBC NEWS

It was just a passing remark, the first time I heard Arpad Bogdan talk about the Roma father who had left him
in an orphanage, and wonder if he should try to find him.

Arpad Bogdan spent his childhood in a state orphanage

We were drinking late at night in a semi-derelict house in a Budapest side street. We had skipped over bicycles and rubbish to make our way inside. I should say this was not a doss house but a trendy Urban Minimalism club.

"He doesn't have to tell you this you know," whispered our mutual friend, director Antonia Meszaros. And it was then that I realised how conflicted Arpad is - how much of a dilemma his Roma inheritance has created.

Arpad is a much-garlanded young film director, whose feature film Happy New Life has won many awards. It is about a young Roma man's unbearable childhood in an orphanage. In the end, he can't hack it - unlike Arpad who emerged from his own orphanage into the University of Pecs and a promising film career.

"My film," Arpad says, "is about the dilemmas of someone who realises that in order to face the future, he must come to terms with his past - and that's something that I still have to do in my own life."

Arpad was one of thousands of Roma - or gypsy - children who were taken into orphanages during Hungary's Communist years. The truth is cloudy here, but it seems that in some cases their parents wanted this, in many they didn't.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:30:29 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: