Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 11:32:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists to drill beneath oceans
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8063.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The ARE's 2007 Search For Atlantis

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ARE's 2007 Search For Atlantis  (Read 5223 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 04:36:57 pm »

THE ARE'S SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS - 2007 SUMMARY: PART TWO OF THREE

continued

Greg Little        -     

Re: The ARE's 2007 Search For Atlantis
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:49:40 am » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the most recent article, which details the work at Bimini:

http://mysterious-america.net/bimini2007.html

A cautionary note: lots of people are getting excited about the white marble building ruins we found, but I believe, as we relate in the article, that these building materials were being carried by a boat. (They are possibly an actual Greek temple, disassembled and shipped to the USA.) It is a remarkable coincidence that they are off Bimini, given what Cayce said about temple ruins in shallow water at Bimini. On the other hand, we believe that the rectangular formations also described in the article are actual building foundations 100-feet below the surface—at the 10,000 BC shoreline.

Due to so many requests, we have posted a series of detailed photos of the planes discussed in the July article: http://mysterious-america.net/planeresearchers.html

The most definitive evidence from our research will be issued Sept 1: an underwater stone wall 9 miles north of Andros.

Greg Little

**************************************************************************************

Discovery of Marble "Ruins"

Several years ago the Browns learned of an area about 7-miles north of Bimini, which had some interesting stone blocks on the bottom. Reaching this area, we saw a few dark, coral encrusted beams of stone and several small piles covered with sand. The side-scan sonar revealed that the area was actually widely littered with apparently stone forms hidden under sand.

Focusing our efforts on the one small exposed area, we were astonished to see a triangular, well-polished slab of stone that appeared exactly like the apex at the top tip of a roof on a temple. It was about 7-feet long and its thickness is unknown. The triangular stone was embedded in sand but we were able to confirm that it was at least three feet thick. After cleaning this stone of sand and debris, a beautiful, somewhat ornate slab was revealed. Several small pieces off the edge of this apex were removed and brought to the surface. It was white marble, gleaming like quartz in the sun. Several beams, some as long as 15-feet were found, with one end disappearing into the sand. In addition, columns, polished building slabs, and many smaller blocks were found. Small samples revealed that these were of the same type of white marble. Knowing that the site had been previously known, we then scoured records to see what had been written about it. We found that in 1970, Richard Wingate and a group of researchers had investigated the marble. Using an underwater sand blower, Wingate found that the marble was widely scattered and had at least three layers of slabs before it reached the bedrock seabed. Under the bottom layer of marble, Wingate found the wooden ribs of an old ship. According to Wingate's group, not far from this site there are massive areas covered with granite slabs, supposedly from two other shipwrecks.

We had previously visited Moselle Shoals, only a few miles away and found shipwrecks and hundreds of granite blocks. Unfortunately, the entire area is literally littered with shipwrecks and such cargo. In his 1980 book, "Lost Outpost of Atlantis," Wingate related that at some future date an archaeologist would rediscover the marble and wonder what it was. Indeed.

Donato's Underwater Rectangles: Building Foundations?

Using the gps obtained from Donato's side scan sonar image, we arrived at the area of the underwater rectangles. We then utilized our own side-scan sonar and found them within 5 minutes. We used a setting that yields a bottom image 700-feet wide and could see that there were numerous rectangular formations on the bottom lying in what looked like a nearly straight line. The rectangular forms sat at the top of a 10-foot drop-off, which led to a narrow flat area. Then it descended quickly toward the deep Gulf Stream. Intrigued, we dropped a lead weight buoy as we passed over one of the larger rectangular forms. We later found that the weight fell directly into the rectangle and, surprisingly, the boat's anchor fell into another one nearby.

The sizes of the rectangular formations vary somewhat with the largest about 15 x 30 feet, however, most of them are smaller, 8 x 10-feet, about the size of small buildings. Their depth (100-feet) is actually just above the sea level at 10,000 B.C. It is known that in 10,000 B.C. the sea levels were about 110-feet lower than today, meaning that these structures were once elevated just above the ancient shoreline.

Eslie and Krista Brown, both of whom are Master Divers, dived the site and took a series of photographs in the cloudy water near the Gulf Stream. When they reached the surface, they reported that the structures were formed out of coral encrusted stone. The photos revealed that the sides of some of the formations seemed to be made from small stone blocks, some of which sat squarely on top of each other. Several square or rectangular stones appeared to be embedded into the bottom, especially at the corners of the rectangular structures. In addition, several photos show intriguing artifacts, which could be pots or amphorae. However, only a more detailed investigation can prove the actual identity of the artifacts and the structures. In sum, the preliminary investigation of these rectangular forms shows that they may well be building foundations, perhaps as old as 12,000-years. Plans are now being made for a more thorough investigation of this site.

Note: Drs. Greg & Lora Little will be presenting the full results of the 2006-2007 Bimini and Andros expeditions at the Annual Ancient Mysteries Conference in Virginia Beach, VA on October 6, 2007. Film and photos of all the finds will be shown.

The next article, scheduled for September 1, will detail the discovery of an underwater stone wall on a small island off Andros. In addition, the article will detail more finds made on the Great Bahama Bank.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 05:06:10 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 04:43:05 pm »

ABOVE:  Granite and ruins from shipwreck at Moselle Shoals

ABOVE:  Anchor line (on far right) going into a rectangle.  Shot taken at 50 feet.

ABOVE:  Corner of one of the rectangular forms at 100 feet.  In the bottom
center there are small blocks on top of each other.
Note the unusual vertical stone on the lower left

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 04:54:09 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Greg Little

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 04:45:28 pm »

The two islands of Bimini are 7 miles long. They run N-S essentially parallel to the Florida coast, which is 50 miles away. The basic finds and locations at Bimini are these:

1. The Bimini Road is basically at Bimini, 1 mile off the west shore of N. Bimini. The water is 18-20 ft deep.
2. The Paradise Point Pier is slightly south of the Bimini Road, much closer to the N. Bimini shore, only 50 yards at its beginning. The Paradise Point Pier was a harbor and it has columns and lots of stone anchors on it. The water is 8 feet deep over the formation.
3. About 5 miles further to the west of N. Bimini is where the underwater rectangles are, which we think are building remains/foundations. These are in 100 feet of water, just above the 10,000 BC shoreline.
4. The marble temple ruins are 7 miles North of the northern tip of S. Bimini--about 9 miles from the Bimini Road. It is located near a deep channel, but is on a huge underwater mound-like formation that may be a half-mile or so in extent.
5. Moselle Shoals, which is the area strewn with shipwrecks and granite, is about 7 miles to the Northwest of the northernmost tip of N Bimini. We have not found any marble at Moselle, just old metal anchors, chain, ship parts, huge granite blocks, and lots of dumped stuff.

I have agreed to go on the George Norry show, coast-to-coast am this Monday night-Tuesday morning to discuss all this. So we will be posting a lot more photos of all of this along with film from the marble site. It'll leave no doubt as to this being there as we say. Plus, because of this show, we'll put out some preliminary photos and film of the Andros underwater wall. Like I've said, other than the rectangular buildings at 100-feet off Bimini, the wall is the big news.

In the 1800s, there were some rich Americans who basically bought Greek temples, had them disassembled, and shipped them to the states where they could put them in their backyard. We did not find any ship remains under the marble, but if Richard Wingate had not found the ship under it in 1970 (as he reported), he would certainly have discovered Atlan's temple and would have publicized it. That's why I believe the marble was ship cargo. Despite some factual errors in Wingate's book that related this, it is generally a good and reliable book and I believe he was a great researcher who has been unrecognized for all the things he did back then. But there was no gps then. And things disappear and reappear under the shifting sands there. And my statement about factual errors in his book means nothing. I have found a few factual errors in my own books, Berlitz's books, and almost every book I have ever read. Dates, details, names, and sizes of things are easily screwed up and editors never catch that stuff. It drives me nutz but I'm just as fallible as any of the others.
Report Spam   Logged
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 01:59:42 am »

Hi Greg,

Are you sure that they are dumped sections of the temples? How big is the awning in the pictures, for instance?  That would be disappointing if it was simply dumped off of some ship, I would have gone crazy finding all that down there. 

Are the ruins scattered over a wide radius or simply in one general area?  I would think that the wider area they are found in, the more they would spell the idea of a sunken city.

Also, what is the title of the Wingate book that you got your information from?  It sounds interesting, I would like to check it out for myself.

Desiree
Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
Greg Little

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 10:19:44 am »

Hi Des:

The "apex" or triangular roof support in the photos is about 7-ft long. We don't know its actual thickness. The entire triangular shape you see goes at least 3-feet down into the sand beneath it. It is like the top of a roof. Our side scan sonar showed marble beams longer than 30 feet spread out over a huge area. The stuff lies on the bottom a bit too orderly to have been dumped. In addition, ship cargo that big can't be dumped. So we realized as we sat in the boat after finding it that one of two things was there. Either a beautiful temple had been bult there and then collapsed and submerged OR a boat carrying the remains of a beautiful temple had sunk there, and the boat simply deteriorated over time.

We did not find anything at the site that suggests a boat remains lies under it. It is a very big area. But I trust what Richard Wingate wrote in his book: "Lost Outpost of Atlantis" (1980) NY: Everest House. He related that there were wooden ribs of a boat lying under it all, but quite deep. Yes, we were going batty trying to figure it out, but we knew we had to scour written records before we released anything.

The book has a lot of photos of the Father Crespi (Ecuador) collection. Though they are b/w, they are quite good. His major thesis was that on the "hill" Panecillo, at Quito, Ecuador, there is an ancient round/domed structure called La Olla (the oven). The dome has a round opening at the top. Mainstream archaeologists have asserted it was an ancient oven. Wingate suggests that the structure was the domed building that Edgar Cayce stated held the great crystal.

On the other hand, the rectangular formations in 100 feet of water off Bimini cannot be dumped, sunken boats...they appear to be building foundations.
Report Spam   Logged
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 01:33:47 pm »

Hi Greg,

This sounds like an amazing discovery, I get the feeling there is more, too, that you aren't telling.  It is amazing how you can contain your excitement!  I don't blame you for being measured about it, many times we have seen a lot of discoveries hyped, only to turn out to hae other explanations later.  Offhand, though, I would say that you have found something really, really special, though!

First off, this portion of the temple:

Just judging off the picture, it really doesn't look Greek. Was there a frieze on there or something that we aren't seeing?  Does it resemble any other cultures that you are aware of?

Also, the marble beams sound way too big to have been transported by a ship.

Is the Wingate book, "the Last Outpost of Atlantis" the source that led to these particular discoveries?

Desiree
Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
Greg Little

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 09:22:59 pm »

The rectangular formations (100-feet deep), which we believe are building foundations, were first found by Bill Donato via side-scan sonar in Nov 06. But Bill could not find them diving after the sonar picked them up. (Strong bottom currents.) We went to Bimini in late June, used our own side-scan sonar to refind the rectangular structures, immediately dropped lead weight buoy markers into them and then dived them. To my knowledge no one else has ever reported these.

The marble: the Browns took us there as they had been there briefly several years ago. They knew we wanted to see any bottom stone that they knew about. They had never dived it before and did not know it was marble. After we cleaned off part of it we knew what it was. When Lora and I returned to the states we started searching every written report we could find. That's when we found what Wingate wrote about it. The site has probably been known about for some time and some people probably know it is marble and most only care about the site because a lot of fish hang out there. We found the marble at the end of our trip and we were basically done with Bimini. I'm grateful Wingate wrote about it because he saved us a lot of work and a lot of worry.

Nothing at Andros or the Great Bahama Bank relates to Wingate.
Report Spam   Logged
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 02:17:31 am »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the information. Hope you don't mind if I dwell more on the marble, but, if it actually pans out, it is the type of cut and dry discovery that will really leave no doubt with people.  The cement columns were a big find back in 1968 when they were discovered, this would blow even them away.

After we cleaned off part of it we knew what it was.

Meaning you knew it was part of a temple, something modern, or part of the temple of a specific culture?

Have you done any testing on any of this yet to determine just what it is and when it came to rest there?  Naturally, you can't carbon date stone, but I have heard that if any mortar was involved, you can carbon date that.

We did not find any ship remains under the marble, but if Richard Wingate had not found the ship under it in 1970 (as he reported), he would certainly have discovered Atlan's temple and would have publicized it. That's why I believe the marble was ship cargo.

I'm confused, did Wingate find pieces of a ship beneath the marble that aren't there now?

Also, you said you would release more photos, I assume that will be after the George Norry show?

Desiree
Report Spam   Logged

Horus

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 10:44:13 am »

A.R.E.’s Search For Atlantis Project—2007 Summary—Part 3 of 3

Explorations at Andros Discover Underwater Stone Wall—Origin & Purpose of Wall is Unknown

By Dr. Greg Little

page source: http://www.mysterious-america.net/atlantisandros20.html
(photo links at the site)

In May and June of 2007, three separate expeditions were carried out in the Bahamas as part of the ARE's Search For Atlantis Project. The initial report from these expeditions, issued in July, detailed the discovery of several crashed planes, at least one of which was reported missing in the Bermuda Triangle. The second report, issued in August, summarized several unexpected discoveries at Bimini, which included what appear to be rectangular building foundations in 100-feet of water and the remains of a temple consisting of white marble materials. This report summarizes the finds made on and around Andros.

Andros is the largest and most unexplored island in all of the Bahamas. (See map.) North Andros lies about 150 miles East of Miami. The island is about 105-miles long and 35 miles wide at it widest point. As reported earlier, several land explorations were made on Andros along with numerous water explorations. Weeklong trips were made to Andros by Drs. Greg & Lora Little in both May and June 2007, both of which began with aerial surveys on portions of the Great Bahama Bank (GBB). The GBB is a massive expanse of a largely flat and shallow bottom extending for nearly 300 miles beginning north of Bimini to some distance south of Andros—just north of Cuba. In general, the water depth of this area averages about 25 feet. During the last Ice Age, the entire GBB was well above sea level. The aerial surveys identified over 30 unusual, dark formations in shallow water on the GBB and the gps locations were taken on each from the air. All but one of these formations was then visited on water with North Andros serving as our base of operations. In addition, side-scan sonar was employed to explore wide areas around Andros and in other areas a remote underwater video camera was used to examine the bottom. (Map showing general areas discussed in articles.)

Findings at Underwater Dark Features on the Great Bahama Bank

Thirty dark features (underwater formations) were visited on the Great Bahama Bank, some of which were nearly 50 miles offshore onto the GBB. Ship and plane remains found at some of these sites were detailed earlier. In general, about 75% of all the dark formations are associated with a variety of dumped materials as well as more curious artifacts. For example, one perfectly round white spot in the middle of a dark formation showed what appeared to be a portion of a huge metal anchor sticking up from the bottom. This piece could not be moved by hand. Is the actual ship also buried there? We don't know, but the formation around the anchor is over 500-feet long.

At other dark features we discovered dumped bombs, propane gas cylinders, appliances, and other debris. Bahamas fishermen often enhance a good fishing site by dumping materials to the bottom, thus increasing fish cover. But these formations were of marginal interest to us because our prime interest is in archaeological remains. It has been suggested that these "good fishing spots" may have formed initially because of "something buried under the sand" that allowed the grass to form, however, without extensive excavations, this cannot be determined.

After the first dark features we visited on the GBB proved to be ship, plane, or dumped materials, we expected all of them to be similar. However, about 25% of the formations proved to be made from stone blocks. Several of these appeared to be huge piles of blocks covered by sand and turtle grass. In some spots, blocks were widely scattered in long, fairly straight lines. The stone blocks were far too large to be ship ballast but could have been cargo. On the other hand, they could be ruins of buildings that were erected on the Great Bahama Bank when it was above sea level. However, since none of these were clearly definitive—as building ruins—it was decided to spend our time examining as many sites as possible.

Andros Shoreline Investigations

Several miles of the shallow shoreline along North Andros were examined with a remote underwater video camera pulled by a cable on the boat. This revealed an area where massive slabs of stone were found to be lying on the bottom just off 50-foot-high sheer stone cliffs that are pounded by wave action coming off the deep “Tongue of the Ocean” trench running along east Andros. In addition, a complete side-scan sonar of the Andros Platform, discovered and reported in 2003, was made. All three tiers of this formation were visible and several areas of the formation not previously seen were found. The formation appears to be an ancient breakwater enclosing a harbor at what is today Nicholls Town bay.

A series of land expeditions, conducted with descendants of Seminole Indians serving as our guides (who fled to the Red Bays area of Andros starting in the 1820s), were made. A curious dolmen-like formation was found in the pine jungle several miles from Red Bays. We were also shown a variety of ship ballast stone recovered by these natives at various places on Andros. The ballast was generally oblong and small (8-12-inches in diameter) polished granite and metamorphic conglomerate stone.

About a dozen caves, some of them quite large and deep were explored on the island. All of the caves had obviously been previously searched and nothing of interest was found in them. Locals told us about other caves where pottery shards and skulls had been found, but these were not visited due to time limitations. We also found what was apparently a fortification wall on land near Morgan's Bluff that was probably constructed by pirates. From the water the wall is completely obscured, but the well-concealed wall has views of the water that are astounding. At this location we also found several vertical cave openings including some that had been filled with large stones.

In an area north of Morgan's Bluff we did make an interesting geological find. A local resident told us about an interesting arrangement of stone blocks in shallow water and the resident stated that they "looked like the Bimini Road." Snorkeling the area from the shoreline we did find that there were a lot of stones lying on the bottom there. The largest were perhaps 8 x 10 feet. However, it was immediately apparent that this was a natural beach rock formation. In the entire area there was not a single stone on top of another and it was clear we were looking at what was once a huge slab of stone that had fractured into perhaps 50 smaller pieces. There were no squared blocks at this natural formation and nothing that looked like “straight seam lines.” It was all in one distinctive layer lying on the flat bottom. It actually made clear to us how unique the Bimini Road actually is and how inaccurate the skeptics' claims about it are.

Discovery of the Underwater “Joulter’s Wall”

The most important archaeological find of the 2007 Andros expeditions was a stonewall found in shallow water off an island north of Andros. Numerous interviews with local residents of Andros were made during our trips. One resident told us about a huge, underwater wall that was located in shallow water on the small chain of islands known as Joulters Cays, about 7-miles North of Andros. Joulters is completely uninhabited, and data obtained during the past 20 years has shown that numerous hurricane driven tsunamis, 30-feet and higher walls of water, have swept across the islands. In the 1950s, an attempt was made to form a small community on the southern Joulters island, but it was soon abandoned when a hurricane destroyed the few small, wood-framed homes that had been built. All of Joulters is extremely shallow and boats with a draft of more than two feet simply cannot reach it. However, the approach to the area where the wall is located is even shallower.

From directions given by the local, we found the underwater wall with Eslie and Krista Brown. During the two trips to Andros, we spent four full days at this site, not only filming and photographing the entire "wall," but also exploring the islands from one end to the other. We had to enter the area during high tide as we sped over a mile of water only one-foot deep. We found the wall exactly as described by the Andros resident. She related that she had seen it twice. The first time, in the early 1990’s, a large portion of the wall was intact and partially above water. She saw it the second time after a severe 1990’s hurricane and said that the eye of the hurricane hit that area and destroyed most of the wall and shoreline.

The wall itself is actually located in a small, narrow bay between what appears to be two islands. The bay is 3-7-feet deep, depending on the tide, and has sharks coming in at high tide. From the bay, the wall extends diagonally away from the two islands into water that is one-to-four feet deep ending where sandbars are located and the bottom is barely covered by water. About two miles further, through this shallow water, is the deep Tongue of the Ocean.

The wall is primarily made from square and rectangular limestone blocks that range in length from 3-6-feet, a width of 2-3-feet, and a thickness of 6-inches to 3-feet—with some blocks far larger. The blocks are obviously cut and roughly dressed and rough tool marks are clearly visible on many. There are some smaller, cube-like stones, about a foot square, occasionally found in portions of the intact wall and in places on the bottom. One area of the wall remains fairly intact and is found in water about 6-feet deep. Brushing the sandy bottom underneath the lowest tier of stones revealed more limestone blocks under the visible portion. How far down it extends is unknown. This section of the wall runs approximately 30-feet long and is formed by the massive blocks stacked on top of each other with 2-3 vertical layers of blocks visible. We found about 50 large stone blocks widely scattered in water around this intact portion as if they had been tossed around by huge waves.

Another area of the wall may also be intact, but it is different. This section is made from identical blocks, but they form a nearly square area about 20 feet wide. In general, the top of this square formation is flat and has two layers of blocks. We later looked at this area on modern satellite images, and were astonished that the square area of blocks was quite visible. We found more of the blocks extending off the island in a rough line over 300-yards long. Most of these were almost completely covered by sand. Because we could only access this area safely during high tide, and sharks were also in it during this time, we were unable to examine much of this portion of the wall.

Dams on the island. On the island where the wall is located, we found two small dams made from stone stuck vertically into the bottom. These dams were at the end of long tidal estuaries and were apparently used as fish traps. They did not appear to be modern; in fact, the high time did not actually fill the estuary where they were located. Bahamas' fishermen related to us that they never built such traps and always used netting. On the other hand, using vertical stone to make crude dams as fish traps was a common practice of the Maya.

Block piles on the island. At the highest two points on the island, on wide and flat areas about 30-feet high, there were huge piles of small square and rectangular blocks. These seemed to be ideal as building materials, but they were lying in jumbled masses as if a structure had been struck by massive waves. Other than a few small caves on the islands, we found nothing else indicative of human habitation.

Freedom of Information Act Request Filed—& Answered

After showing residents a satellite photo of the Joulter's wall, one resident suggested that we contact pilots to see if anyone had aerial photos of the formation from the 1940s or 50s. Thus far we have not found anyone who has such photos. But we also learned that the joint US Navy—British Navy facility on Andros known as AUTEC had supposedly taken aerial photographs of the underwater wall from helicopters. After making preliminary inquiries, we filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the US Navy, and then another request with AUTEC. AUTEC officials acted quickly and after a thorough and complete search of all their files and photographs, reported that no one affiliated with AUTEC of the Navy had taken any photos of Joulters. This is actually logical as AUTEC is a submarine testing facility and the entire area around Joulters is extremely shallow.

Joulter's Wall Speculations—Interviews

As part of our investigation of the wall, we spent several days at the University of Florida library and went through every issue of every scientific and popular journal published in or about the Bahamas. Nothing on the Joulter's wall was found. There were many references in these publications on the devastation hurricanes had created there, however, since the islands were uninhabited, virtually nothing else, except a scattered brief reference to a biological report or two was found. We also spoke to several Andros fishermen (who are over 80-years old) about that area and the wall. They were aware of the formation, but it was irrelevant to them as it was unrelated to making a living as fishermen. None of them knew its possible purpose or who built it. One resident simply said, “it’s always been there.” The initial impression is that it might have been a retaining wall of some sort, but the entire area is so shallow that the bringing in of large boats or even shallow draft barges to it is simply impossible.

During a radio interview that the present writer had during August 2007, a caller related, "it is well known that there were lots of stone piers built in the 1700s and 1800s [in the Bahamas] so that ships could escape taxation." He related that cargo was transferred from one ship to another at these piers. The idea is interesting except we have not found a single reference to such stone piers in any of the dozens of books and countless articles we have read on the region. Nor has a single Bahamas resident has ever related that idea to us. The biggest argument against the Joulter's wall being such a pier or a pirate formation is that only a rowboat could reach it. No ships in the 1600s-1800s could have possibly reached Joulters, nor is it likely they would do so as Joulters is extremely remote. Pirates did not build massive formations along shorelines for the simple reason that such structures would bring attention. In addition, this is a very massive formation, constructed from huge blocks that probably were not placed by hand. What is it? We don't know, but it remains an intriguing mystery and our efforts will continue in that region.

Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 12:52:16 pm »

Thanks for the contribution, Horus, here are the pictures:

The wall is primarily made from square and rectangular limestone blocks that range in length from 3-6-feet, a width of 2-3-feet, and a thickness of 6-inches to 3-feet—with some blocks far larger. The blocks are obviously cut and roughly dressed and rough tool marks are clearly visible on many.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:01:34 pm by Desiree » Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 12:53:29 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 12:54:33 pm »

Huge metal anchor sticking up from the bottom
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:56:56 pm by Desiree » Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 12:55:47 pm »

Dumped bombs, propane gas cylinders, appliances, and other debris.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:56:23 pm by Desiree » Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 12:58:15 pm »

This revealed an area where massive slabs of stone were found to be lying on the bottom just off 50-foot-high sheer stone cliffs that are pounded by wave action coming off the deep “Tongue of the Ocean” trench running along east Andros.
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 01:00:08 pm »

Below: Three images from the side-scan sonar of a portion of the Andros Platform. Top image is the raw image. The center of the image (vertical dark area) is the area directly under the boat. Each side of the image (to the left and right of the dark center line), shows the bottom covering an area totalling 142 feet wide and about 80 feet long. The second image shows how various forms on the bottom, such as stone, can be measured by the technology. The red outlined block is 16 x 16 feet. The bottom image shows all the blocks outlined, and actually captures portions of all three tiers of the formation.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: