Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 12:45:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists Confirm Historic Massive Flood in Climate Change
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20060228/

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

ODDS 'N SODS

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ODDS 'N SODS  (Read 3582 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« on: July 03, 2009, 01:03:35 pm »

Since we can't have a thread really, for every little thing that comes up in the world, I thought it might be fun to just post the bits and pieces one comes across in their daily travels, that might be a bit interesting to others.  Not exactly trivia, but sort of!! Cool  Feel free everyone, to post whatever tid bits you feel would be interesting.

World's first ever 'self-watering' plant discovered in Israel
Scientists have discovered the world's first 'self-watering' plant in Israel's Negev desert – one of the driest regions on earth.

By Murray Wardrop
Published: 7:00AM BST 30 Jun 2009

The Desert Rhubarb can hold 16 times more water than its rivals and has developed a unique ability to effectively water itself in its barren habitat.

Researchers were confounded by the metre-wide plant's giant leaves, compared to its desert counterparts, whose tiny leaves stop dangerous moisture loss.

But they found the plant's large leaves are the key to its success, because they are covered in microscopic streams through which water can be channelled.

Scientists claim ridges in the leaves act like mountain valleys, funnelling the water slowly and directly into the plant while stopping it evaporating.

A team from the Department of Science Education-Biology at the University of Haifa-Oranim, in Israel, said the leaves act like a mini irrigation system.

Lead researcher Professor Gidi Ne'eman said "We know of no other plant in the deserts of the world that functions in this manner.

"We have managed to make out the 'self-irrigating' mechanism of the desert rhubarb, which enables it to harvest 16 times the amount of water than otherwise expected for a plant in this region based on the quantities of rain in the desert.

"These deep and wide depressions in the leaves create a "channelling" mountain-like system by which the rain water is channelled toward the ground surrounding the plant's deep root.

"Other desert plants simply suffice with the rain water that penetrates the ground in its immediate surroundings."

Results of experiments and analysis of the plant's growth – in an area with an average annual rainfall of 75mm – showed that the desert rhubarb is able to harvest quantities of water that are closer to that of Mediterranean plants, reaching up to 426mm per year.

That is 16 times the amount of water harvested by the small-leafed plants of the Negev desert region.

The Negev makes up more than 50 per cent of Israel's land area to the south of the country near its border with Egypt and the Sinai Peninsula.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/sciencenews/5690060/Worlds-first-ever-self-watering-plant-discovered-in-Israel.html

I'm wondering if we should take this as a warning from nature, as to what the future climate is going to be like?  She is obviously modifying her plants to adapt to a super severe dry climate.
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Harconen
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 02:39:09 pm »

Quantum Physics

Quantum Physics, Spirituality And Your Life Experience : They're Not As Different As You May Currently Think And Believe. Your Thoughts, Beliefs and Emotions Shape Your World. Now You'll FINALLY Understand Why!!

Quantum Physics Once Understood And Properly Implemented
Will Enable And Empower You To Experience Heaven On Earth

Quantum Physics Demystifies The Process Of Manifestation

What exactly is Quantum Physics? Quantum physics is simply a science that studies and explains how everything in our world comes into existence starting from the physical aspect of the events, conditions, and circumstances of everything in the Universe and breaking them down into their most basic form, attempting to discover the Source from where they are derived from.

Whether or not you may currently be aware, Quantum Physics, Spirituality, your thoughts, emotions, and success or lack of success in life are ALL closely intertwined or interconnected. In fact as modern day quantum physics has discovered, they're much more interconnected than you may realize.

Unless you have been exposed to physics at some point, just the mention of Quantum Physics may seem a bit overwhelming to many, but it's really not as intimidating or hard to understand as you may think. In fact, as you will soon discover it is your thoughts and beliefs concerning Quantum Physics that makes it easy or difficult to understand. If that statement seems a little puzzling at this point, rest assured, it won't be once you've finished reading this article and develop a deeper understanding of how it is that Quantum Physics more specifically Quantum Mechanics determines the outcomes in your life and the world around you.

Although Quantum Physics can appear to be a bit complex on the surface, for many, just developing a basic understanding of Quantum Mechanics will prove to solidify what is already known at some level of your awareness with regard to how the various events, conditions, and circumstances of your day to day life come into being.

Regardless of your current religious preference (or lack of) or level of scientific knowledge, these basics concerning Quantum Physics will enable you to construct the necessary solid foundation of "awareness" for beginning to build and experience your life consciously and purposefully in a way that you desire.

For me personally, familiarizing myself with Quantum Physics played a MAJOR role in enabling me to better understand how and why various "growth lessons" that I had experienced earlier in life really happened which resulted in developing a much deeper and stronger "Belief" or "Faith" in my own personal ability to begin consciously creating the events, conditions and circumstances that I desired.

Having begun my search for deeper meaning and understanding many years ago, seeking answers to some of the seemingly complex and unanswerable questions pertaining to life in general, I began that search in structured religion, then after a time discovering Spirituality (yes there is a difference) and finally discovering and exploring Quantum Physics. I can assure you from a deep "inner knowing" that each is intricately tied together and developing an understanding of all of them will arm you with an unshakable faith capable of manifesting dramatic and in many cases seemingly miraculous life changes.

In fact I can say without any apprehension that Quantum Physics has proven to be the "icing on the cake" and one of the greatest and most important discoveries that I have EVER made in relation to enhancing my overall awareness and solidifying my belief concerning what the most enlightened spiritual teachers have taught for thousands of years, which proved to deepen my understanding and greatly enhance all that I had gained looking for meaningful answers during my spiritual quest.

So in the simplest and most down to earth way that I can, with the hope that a basic understanding of Quantum Physics will assist you in the same way, I'll convey what Quantum Physics has discovered to you, in a way that is easy to understand and digest.

Through this newfound understanding I hope that you too can fully grasp and develop the awareness of the vitally important and crucial role that discoveries made as a result of and through Quantum Physics play in relation to YOUR life experience and the physical outcomes that happen as a result.

Let's begin with.... http://www.abundance-and-happiness.com/quantum-physics.html
Report Spam   Logged

Ignis Natura Renovandum Integra
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 12:25:25 am »

Morphic resonance and morphic fields could be the explanation for psychic ability. 

The morphic fields of mental activity are not confined to the insides of our heads. They extend far beyond our brain though intention and attention. We are already familiar with the idea of fields extending beyond the material objects in which they are rooted: for example magnetic fields extend beyond the surfaces of magnets; the earth’s gravitational field extends far beyond the surface of the earth, keeping the moon in its orbit; and the fields of a cell phone stretch out far beyond the phone itself. Likewise the fields of our minds extend far beyond our brains.
Rupert Sheldrake, Biologist
http://www.sheldrake.org/Articles&Papers/papers/morphic/morphic_intro.html
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

Harconen
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 11:14:16 am »

Flying shaman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GvQ6chTlHw&feature=related
Report Spam   Logged

Ignis Natura Renovandum Integra
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 01:19:54 pm »

Fire Rainbows

A circumhorizontal fire rainbow arc occurs at a rare confluence of right time and right place for the sun and certain clouds. Crystals within the clouds refract light into the various visible waves of the spectrum, but only if they are arrayed correctly, relative to the ground below. Due to the rarity with which all of these events happen in conjunction with one another, there are relatively few remarkable photos of this phenomenon.

NOTE:

A link to wiki regarding fire Rainbows.  Photobucket removed the pictures from my file as apparently someone complained to them.  I didn't realize the photos were copyrighted.  I'm still not sure they are, but because something was said, photobucket removed them.  Anyway, you can see some pictures at the wiki site.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:52:51 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 09:16:45 am »

BC Burning

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1204394/Take-seats--The-jaw-dropping-row-spectacle-wildfire-devours-Canadian-mountains.html
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:21:31 am »

One day a florist went to a barber for a haircut. After the cut, he asked
about his bill, and the barber replied, "I cannot accept
money from you, I'm doing community service this week."
The florist was pleased and left the shop.

When the barber went to open his shop the next morning, there was a 'thank
you' card and a dozen roses waiting for him at his door.

Later, a cop comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill, the
barber again replied, "I cannot accept money from you, I'm doing community
service this week." The cop was happy and left the shop.

The next morning when the barber went to open up, there was a 'thank you'
card and a dozen donuts waiting for him at his door.

Then a Member of Parliament came in for a haircut, and when he went to pay
his bill, the barber again replied, "I can not accept money from you. I'm doing
community service this week."

The M..P. was very happy and left the shop.
The next morning, when the barber went to open up, there were a dozen
M.P.s lined up waiting for a free haircut.

And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between the
citizens of our country and the politicians who run it.
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

mdsungate

Hermes, Gateway of the Sun

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 06:48:39 pm »

Smiley  QUOTE FROM HARCONEN

I can say without any apprehension that Quantum Physics has proven to be the "icing on the cake" and one of the greatest and most important discoveries that I have EVER made in relation to enhancing my overall awareness and solidifying my belief concerning what the most enlightened spiritual teachers have taught for thousands of years

Facinating Harconen.  Not for the everyday mindset.  Just understanding Quantum Physics is enough to befuddle the average mind, let alone understanding the religious aspects it may impart.  You are quite a fellow Harconen.  You’re versed in spiritual matters, the occult, secret government programs, and now Quantum Physics!  You are truly a very rare individual. And what does Harconen do just for fun? LOL.  I mean that sincerely, and in no way do I mean any disrespect.  I just have a great love for this “Devine Comedy” we are all a part of.   And seeing the humor in life is one of my greatest pleasures.

P.S.   Love the idea for this thread Qoais, perhaps I could post some esoteric humor here, LOL.
Report Spam   Logged

Hermes Trismegistus:  “As above, so below.”
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 07:14:57 pm »

Go for it Sungate Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 10:05:47 am »

So - how many of you have been to the Field Museum in Chicago and seen the bust of Pharoah MchlJcksn?

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 06:38:15 pm »

I wasn't kidding you know!!

Michael Jackson’s ancient double discovered in Chicago museum

By Agence France Presse (AFP)
Monday, August 17, 2009

CHICAGO: An intriguing new theory has arisen that links the dusty world of antiquities with the glitz and glamour of pop-stardom. An ancient Egyptian bust is leading some to ask whether Michael Jackson was secretly trying to be “The Pharaoh of Pop.” The bust, on display at the Field Museum in Chicago, has been the focus of interest since the star’s death as visitors double-take at the eerie similarities between the 3,000-year-old statue and the singer.

The limestone statue – which depicts an unidentified woman – went on display at the museum in 1988 and was carved during the New Kingdom Period, dating from between 1550 BC to 1050 BC.

Like Jackson’s surgically-altered face, the carving has a distinct, upturned nose and rounded eyes.

And like Jackson – if rumors of the singer’s prosthesis are to be believed – the statue’s nose has partially disintegrated.

The museum’s curator Jim Phillips said staff had been “inundated” with inquiries from Jackson fans since the star’s similarities to the bust were pointed out in a recent newspaper article.

“We’ve had people coming to the museum and asking ‘Where’s Michael Jackson?” So we have to tell them that he’s not here, but there is a bust that looks a lot like him,” Phillips told AFP.

Phillips said while it is doubtful that Jackson’s physical startling image may have been inspired by the statue – the singer was not believed to have visited the museum – the resemblance between the two is undeniable.

“I have to admit it, there are a number of very striking similarities,” Phillips said.

“I don’t follow all the permutations of Michael Jackson’s physical appearance, but they do look a lot alike,” the museum curator added.

Jackson, 50, died of a cardiac arrest at his home in Los Angeles on June 25. – AFP

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?ed...ticle_id=105352

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 11:39:15 pm »

Ok - so I'm white "trailer trash" - wanna make something of it?

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

mdsungate

Hermes, Gateway of the Sun

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:00:27 am »

Smiley  Maybe Michael should have taken a hint when the Paraoh's nose fell off, LOL.

And I've seen that picture of that RV before.  White Trash nothing... any movie star in Hollywood would want that.
I know I want one, LOL.   Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Hermes Trismegistus:  “As above, so below.”
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:23:20 am »

Well, my hubby keeps telling me we should sell everything and buy a motorhome, and I kept saying I wouldn't like it - but..............I've been known to change my mind before!!
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 08:57:56 pm »

Well, that Richard Jenkins person that allegedly killed his wife, cut off her fingers and pulled out her teeth has been found this afternoon about 60 miles up the road from my house in a little town called Hope, on International Hwy. I, headed east.  Our local RCMP made an announcement at a press conference about a half hour ago, saying that from what they've seen so far, although the investigation is in it's infancy, that he killed himself. 

I think I would too if I had done such a horrendous thing.  How do you live with yourself afterward?  On the other hand, if he didn't kill his wife, but some mob or drug cartel decided to show him what happens if you don't pay your debts, his life would have been worth squat anyway.  If he went back to California, he'd get the death penalty as well.  This way, he saved the state a lot of money.
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: