Atlantis Online
September 15, 2019, 02:39:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A Princess of Mars

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Princess of Mars  (Read 513 times)
Dark Goddess
Superhero Member

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2009, 11:22:44 am »

The cudgel was swinging in the arc which ended upon my upturned face when a bolt of myriad-legged horror hurled itself through the doorway full upon the breast of my executioner. With a shriek of fear the ape which held me leaped through the open window, but its mate closed in a terrific death struggle with my preserver, which was nothing less than my faithful watch-thing; I cannot bring myself to call so hideous a creature a dog.

As quickly as possible I gained my feet and backing against the wall I witnessed such a battle as it is vouchsafed few beings to see. The strength, agility, and blind ferocity of these two creatures is approached by nothing known to earthly man. My beast had an advantage in his first hold, having sunk his mighty fangs far into the breast of his adversary; but the great arms and paws of the ape, backed by muscles far transcending those of the Martian men I had seen, had locked the throat of my guardian and slowly were choking out his life, and bending back his head and neck upon his body, where I momentarily expected the former to fall limp at the end of a broken neck.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: