Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 05:08:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?
Research suggests our ancestors traveled the oceans 70,000 years ago
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20-did-humans-colonize-the-world-by-boat

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Living In Filth For 10 Years - Konik Is The Largest Refugee Camp In Balkans

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living In Filth For 10 Years - Konik Is The Largest Refugee Camp In Balkans  (Read 606 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: June 28, 2009, 12:14:02 pm »

VESEB BERISA, AGED 37

My family and I have nothing to eat, nothing to wear, nowhere to take a proper shower. We have been living like this for 10 years.

I work all day every day scouring the rubbish tips for metal to sell and maybe, if I'm lucky, earn 200 euros (£170) a month to feed my family. We cope because we have to.

I had a job in Kosovo. I ran my own business buying and selling fruit and vegetables. I would like to do that here in Montenegro but I can't. I don't have any resources. I've no money to get started.

The worst thing about the camp is that it's dirty. The hygiene here is terrible. It causes so many health problems. Everything we have is dirty. Nothing can stay clean here. It causes so many health problems.

A lot of people are sick in the camp for lots of different reasons, most often in their lungs because the air here is so foul. Lots of others have problems with their hearts and blood pressure. But in 10 years of living here, I've only seen the UN help one boy who was sick.

It's too hot here, over 40C in the summer and there isn't enough water. Water comes into the washing area near the toilets but the water pressure is so low, there isn't enough for all of us.

Some of the kids here go to the local school. They were given books there but they have no clothes and most of the time they are hungry, so how are they meant to think about learning?

I would leave now if I could, but where would I go? I would like to have a proper house, if only to know that I have my own home, a roof over my head. I want to leave a house for my children as my father left a house for me.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:16:04 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: