Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:25:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists Confirm Historic Massive Flood in Climate Change
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20060228/

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Pilot Dies Mid-Flight; Plane Lands Safely In New Jersey

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pilot Dies Mid-Flight; Plane Lands Safely In New Jersey  (Read 122 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: June 18, 2009, 01:25:21 pm »

Continental Airlines flight 61 from Belgium taxing at Newark Liberty International Airport in Newark, N.J., Thursday, June 18, 2009. The pilot of the plane died over the Atlantic Ocean on Thursday, but the jet landed safely with two co-pilots at the controls.

(AP Photo/
Westwood One/
Metro Networks)

Pilot dies mid-flight; plane lands safely in NJ

Adam Goldman And
Victor Epstein,
Associated Press Writers –
June 18, 2009
NEWARK, N.J.

– The pilot of a Continental Airlines flight from Brussels to Newark died over the Atlantic Ocean on Thursday, but the jet landed safely with two co-pilots at the controls.

The 247 passengers aboard Flight 61 weren't told of the pilot's death and flight attendants continued serving snacks, though the crew did ask for the help of any doctors aboard. Several passengers approached the cockpit, including one doctor who told The Associated Press the pilot appeared to have suffered a heart attack.

The 60-year-old Newark-based pilot, with 32 years of service to the airline, is believed to have died of natural causes, said Kelly Cripe, a spokeswoman for the Houston-based airline.

A relief pilot was on board during the flight and took the place of the deceased pilot, Cripe said. The Boeing 777 touched down on time just before noon at Newark Liberty International Airport.

"The flight continued safely with two pilots at the controls," Cripe said in a statement.

Dr. Julien Struyven, 72, a cardiologist and radiologist from Brussels who was aboard the flight, responded to the call for doctors, went to the cockpit and examined the pilot.

"He was not alive," Struyven said. There was "no chance at all" of saving him, he said.

Struyven said he suspected the pilot had a heart attack. He said he used a defibrillator to try and revive the pilot, but it was too late.

Martha Love, a passenger from Greenwich, N.J., who was sitting in the first row of the plane, said passengers weren't told exactly what was going on.

"No one knew," she said. She only became concerned when after the plane landed, she saw fire trucks and emergency vehicles lined up along the runway.

Simon Shapiro, a passenger from New York City's Brooklyn borough, was also unaware of the drama.

"I didn't hear anything or see anything," Shapiro said. "I was wondering why there were so many cops."

As a precaution, the airport's emergency crews were sent to meet the plane.

Passenger Kathleen Ledger, 45, of Bethlehem, Pa., said she learned about what happened when her cell phone rang after the plane landed.

"When we landed, my husband called me and told me," she said.

She said she was impressed with the way the flight crew handled themselves — including serving snacks during the crisis — and doesn't think passengers should have been informed of the death during the flight.

"They did an incredible job," she said. "I would have done the exact same thing."

In 2007, another Continental pilot died at the controls after becoming ill during a flight from Houston to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. It landed safely with a co-pilot at the controls after being diverted to McAllen-Miller International Airport in southern Texas.

___

Associated Press Writer
Beth DeFalco
in Trenton, N.J.,
contributed to this report.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:30:56 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:32:24 pm »

The MSM is so callous!!

God(dess) forbid that there'd be ONE word of sympathy for the poor pilot's family's grief!!!

NOT A WORD ALL DAY!

Oh, yes, for those out there who think a "Great Age of Love and Spirituality" is coming:

WE HAVE GREATLY REGRESSED:

in that department in the last 40 or so years!!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:37:17 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Manutius

I pray that God's an atheist

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:08:17 pm »

It's kinda cool that life finally imitates art. I mean how many movies are there where the pilot dies of a heart attack and someone else has to land the plane.
Report Spam   Logged

Shoot the homeless.
strages consanguinei me vos canis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: