Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 07:46:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site provides evidence for ancient comet explosion
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nationworld/story/173177.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Accused 9/11 Mastermind Says He Lied To CIA Under Torture

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Accused 9/11 Mastermind Says He Lied To CIA Under Torture  (Read 215 times)
Demon Queen
Superhero Member

« on: June 16, 2009, 03:22:02 pm »

He went on to complain that he was "losing my masculinity. Even my beard is falling out, not from injuries but from the lack of treatment."

Wizner said the techniques the CIA used to interrogate Al Qaeda suspects were made public when the Obama administration this year released Justice Department legal memos authorizing them, so there was no reason to keep the detainees' testimony secret.

/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-cheney22-2009may22,0,1847797.story /news/nationworld/nation/la-na-cheney22-2009may22,0,1847797.story
Cheney defends waterboarding, says...
Release of interrogation files would endanger security, CIA tells judge
"There is only one explanation for the continued suppression. It is not to protect national security, it is to protect the CIA from accountability," Wizner said.

Despite the CIA's efforts to suppress prisoners' statements about their treatment, other sources have provided highly detailed accounts -- including a 2007 Red Cross report that surfaced publicly this year.

In that document, Abu Zubaydah described his reaction to being waterboarded, saying he thought he was going to die.

"I lost control of my urine," Abu Zubaydah told the Red Cross, according to the organization's report. "Since then I still lose control of my urine when under stress."

In the documents released Monday, Rahim Nashiri, who is accused of involvement in the bombing of the U.S. destroyer Cole in 2000, described the aftereffects of his questioning.

"Before I was arrested I used to be able to run about 10 kilometers," he said at the hearing in March 2007. "Now I cannot walk for more than 10 minutes. My nerves are swollen in my body."

And in another newly released portion of the transcript, he described how government officials would "drown me in water," a reference to the CIA's waterboarding technique.

More than 7 1/2 pages of the hearing transcript of Majid Khan, another accused Al Qaeda member, remained classified and appeared as one long block of blacked-out text. Among the few newly released statements of Khan's include his assertion that the evidence against him was a result of torture.

"In the end," he said, "any classified information you have is through [redacted] agencies who physically and mentally tortured me."

julian.barnes@latimes.com

greg.miller@latimes.com

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: