Atlantis Online
November 24, 2020, 09:57:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

INXS

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: INXS  (Read 1515 times)
Chessica Silva

« on: June 10, 2009, 12:21:14 am »

Pengilly explained that Morris had some other ideas:

Gary [Morris] was a great marketing man, and I think he also had this idea of us being 'inaccessible'. He said we could be on stage in a cage of lights. It was a mystery thing [...] He told us that unless we wanted to change our ways and become the world's biggest Christian band, he could no longer manage us [...] He wanted us to write songs about Christ and to promote a drug-and-alcohol-free and no-sex-before-marriage, proper Christian lifestyle. He was very convincing and for a moment I think we might have done it. Then he got on to strange terrain.
    —Kirk Pengilly[13][16]

We thought that would be a bit much - but it was a good name.
    —Tim Farriss[12]

The band's first performance as INXS was on 1 September 1979 at the Oceanview Hotel in Umina, New South Wales[17] and by the end of 1979, after passing on the Christian band image, they hired Chris Murphy as their manager and continued taking on the Oz the pub circuit.[2][13][16][18]

The night Morris offered them to me, I told him I'd take them midway through their third song. I stood there thinking, "This is pretty funky.' This kid up front is pretty weird. This band plays really, really well [...] What Morris didn't realise was that I only intended to take them on as their booking agent. I didn't want to be their manager.
    —Chris Murphy[13]

Murphy was an adept business manager and negotiator. By early 1980 the band had signed a five-album record deal with a Sydney independent label, Deluxe Records, run by Michael Browning, a former manager of AC/DC.[1][2][12]
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: