Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:35:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Towering Ancient Tsunami Devastated the Mediterranean
http://www.livescience.com/environment/061130_ancient_tsunami.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Rescuers Search For Dozens Missing In China Landslide

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rescuers Search For Dozens Missing In China Landslide  (Read 62 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: June 06, 2009, 05:29:46 am »

Rescuers search for dozens missing in China landslide

June 6, 2009
BEIJING
(AFP)

– Hundreds of rescue workers and volunteers were searching for dozens of people feared buried alive when part of a mountain collapsed in a massive landslide in southwest China, officials said.

Some 74 people were still missing after the disaster struck Friday afternoon in a mining district of the vast Chongqing municipality, a spokesman for the municipality government said.

Vice Premier Zhang Dejiang arrived at the site early Saturday to supervise the rescue effort and comfort relatives of the victims, television images showed.

Eight people have been rescued from the debris, with three seriously injured and one of those in critical condition, local officials said. They were all taken to hospital.

The landslide occurred in the remote mountainous region of Jiwei in Wulong district. More than 3.5 million tonnes of mud and rock crashed hundreds of metres down into the valley, burying houses and a working mine, according to estimates quoted by official media.

Twenty-seven miners were working in the mine at the time of the landslide. Emergency workers quoted by the official Xinhua news agency said they were hopeful of rescuing all the miners, unlike victims who were on the surface, who were hit by the debris.

Around 500 rescue workers were dispatched from neighbouring districts to help 400 firefighters, police and other personnel, particularly medical staff, deployed by authorities, according to the local communications department.

Emergency staff with dogs were combing through the rocks and debris of houses in the hope of finding more survivors.

In total about 1,500 people have joined the rescue effort, according to the Chongqing Daily, quoted on the municipality's official website.

The authorities were also concerned about the threat of flooding in the region after the landslide blocked the Wujiang, a tributary of the Yangtze, Xinhua said.

An investigation has begun into the cause of the disaster, which also cut power lines and communications in several areas.

In September last year, at least 277 people were killed in the northern province of Shanxi by a massive landslide caused by the collapse of a reservoir of mine waste.

Government investigations found the collapse at the unlicensed mine was due to negligence and 113 people were punished in connection with the disaster, state media reported in April.

China's mining industry is one of the most dangerous in the world. In the latest accident, seven miners were killed in a gas leak at a mine in northwest Xinjiang region, Xinhua said Saturday.

Official figures show that more than 3,200 workers died in China's notoriously dangerous coal mines last year, but independent observers say the actual figure could be much higher, as many accidents are covered up.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: