Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:13:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ancient Crash, Epic Wave
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/14/healthscience/web.1114meteor.php?page=1

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

New Ronald Reagan statue stands tall in Capitol R

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ronald Reagan statue stands tall in Capitol R  (Read 338 times)
Elmer Jessup

« on: June 04, 2009, 07:34:46 am »

New Ronald Reagan statue stands tall in Capitol R

12:00 AM CDT on Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON – This time, Ronald Reagan really was larger than life. Seven feet tall, in fact, cast in bronze. UNVEILED

A statue of the 40th president was unveiled Wednesday in the Capitol Rotunda. The unveiling comes one day after President Barack Obama created the Ronald Reagan Centennial Commission to plan activities marking the 100th anniversary, in 2011, of Reagan's birth.

LEGACY

Reagan, who died of Alzheimer's disease in 2004, was president from 1981 to 1989. His legacy includes the spread of democracy after his dramatic appeal in Berlin to Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to "tear down this wall!" Pieces of the Berlin Wall, which fell in 1989, are embedded in the statue.

NANCY REAGAN

Former first lady Nancy Reagan, 87, entered the room to a standing ovation. "You created that secure space from which he ventured forth to change America and to change the world," Reagan's friend and Treasury secretary, James Baker, told her. She called the statue a "wonderful likeness of Ronnie," adding, "He would be so proud."

The Associated Press
Report Spam   Logged

"I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." - LUKE 5:32
"Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."- MATTHEW 26:41

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Elmer Jessup

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:35:21 am »

Report Spam   Logged

"Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."- MATTHEW 26:41
Elmer Jessup

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 07:36:36 am »

WASHINGTON (AP) — A teary-eyed Nancy Reagan watched as a bronze statue of her late husband, Ronald Reagan, was unveiled in the U.S. Capitol building in Washington on Wednesday.

A blue, cloth cover was pulled from the 7-foot statue of the 40th U.S. president as Reagan, 87, and a crowd packed with Reagan-era policymakers, looked on in the Capitol's Rotunda. The statue cast Reagan flashing a grin.

Reagan, seated next to her husband's friend, former Treasury secretary James A. Baker III, said it was nice to return to the Rotunda for a happy occasion. Ronald Reagan, who was president from 1981 to 1989, lay in state at the Capitol after his death at 93 in 2004.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Report Spam   Logged

Elmer Jessup

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 07:37:35 am »

Take that, librals!  You sure don't see too many statues built to Slick Willy now do you?
Report Spam   Logged

Drifter
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:56:51 pm »

There's a statue the birds would love to crap on.
Report Spam   Logged
Sandman

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:19:50 pm »

Reagan, like the Bushes, was simply another toadie lickspittle for the rich.
Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 03:50:33 pm »

I always thought of Reagan as a phony.  He used his acting skills to the max, but what good did that do for the country in the long run?  We are now experiencing the final results of Reaganomics.   Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Linda Dahlberg
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:47:51 am »

Reagan, flat out, sucked.  It is too bad that Carter screwed up rescuing those hostages in Iran, else we would never had had Ronnie for President.
Report Spam   Logged
Manutius

I pray that God's an atheist

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 07:25:11 pm »

Reagan destroyed the Iron Curtain.

I hated George Bush. But I love Ronald Reagan.

By the way, I was born in Russia and I know. All Russians love Ronald Reagan. They might not have then, but they do now.
Report Spam   Logged

Shoot the homeless.
strages consanguinei me vos canis
Rage Against the Machine

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:55:49 pm »

Reagan used to be a Democrat, an FDR Democrat, even campaigned for Harry Truman. He was totally turned around at the 1960s, though, as he was seduced by Goldwater.   Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Manutius

I pray that God's an atheist

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 10:20:33 am »

Really? Yeah, maybe. Reagan was a lifeguard, that's a little gay. Goldwater had sort of a gay haircut. I guess I can try to imagine.
Report Spam   Logged

Shoot the homeless.
strages consanguinei me vos canis
Harconen
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 04:49:54 pm »

A statue for puppet! LMAO!
Report Spam   Logged

Ignis Natura Renovandum Integra
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: