ONE MORE (MORE) DAY? JMS EXPLAINS HIS ENDING

<< < (2/2)

Hobgoblin:
12:29 PM         #2
The Phazer

JMS is completely right.

"It's magic" just doesn't work as an explanation for all this. It's a Crisis level retcon to the entire universe, just one that doesn't even make internal sense.

Man, Joey Q just got pretty owned...

Phazer

The Phazer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to The Phazer
Find More Posts by The Phazer
Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM      #3
MrJasonTodd

whats done is done.

sucks though...

MrJasonTodd
View Public Profile
Send a private message to MrJasonTodd
Visit MrJasonTodd's homepage!
Find More Posts by MrJasonTodd
Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM      #4
statnut

"Its magic" is the explanation I am going to use the next time I forget something, or cant explain something.

"Dad, how does the sun stay in the air?"

"Magic son."

Seriously, I was debating reading Spidey books again, even though I hate what they did(I love the Peter/MJ) dynamic, because I am hoping they go back to a simpler brand of story telling. Not everything needs to be so dramatic, not every issue a cliff hanger. But I suspect this aspect isnt going to change.

statnut
View Public Profile
Send a private message to statnut
Find More Posts by statnut
Old 01-03-2008, 12:33 PM      #5
jack_lama

Customer: "Uhhhh.. this pizza sucks."
Pizza Chef: "Well, I can see how you can interpret it that way. But heres a bunch of relevant points at why the pizza is actually good not just as a pizza but good for the overall image of the pizza. Plus, ya know, everyone from the cashier to the delivery driver is kinda incluced in the overal creation of the Pizza... not just me."
Customer: "LOLz, yeah buddy, it still sucks, can I have my money back?"

Rather than tell stories that we don't want and that you have to explain why they are cool, maybe, in my humble opinion, just tell good stories that we wanna read and that don't need explanation.

And one final thought. Does anyone remember that Herpes commercial on TV where they had a song in the background where a girl was singing "It's a Brand New Day"? And does anyone besides me think that Herpes is looking alot better than Amazing Spider-Man. ; )
Last edited by jack_lama : 01-03-2008 at 12:46 PM.

jack_lama
View Public Profile
Send a private message to jack_lama
Find More Posts by jack_lama
Old 01-03-2008, 12:34 PM      #6
jccalhoun

JMS's story would have been MUCH better.

jccalhoun
View Public Profile
Send a private message to jccalhoun
Find More Posts by jccalhoun
Old 01-03-2008, 12:35 PM      #7
tfitz

I keep liking JMS more and more.

tfitz
View Public Profile
Send a private message to tfitz
Find More Posts by tfitz
Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 PM      #8
shadowchaser

so happy to hear JMS's side and he's totally right about everything

shadowchaser
View Public Profile
Send a private message to shadowchaser
Visit shadowchaser's homepage!
Find More Posts by shadowchaser
Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 PM      #9
FilterKing

Man, this ____ keeps getting better and better...

FilterKing
View Public Profile
Send a private message to FilterKing
Find More Posts by FilterKing
Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 PM      #10
80Pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccalhoun

I agree. It at least makes a little more sense than what actually happened. Lots of "wows" as I read that...

80Pork
View Public Profile
Send a private message to 80Pork
Visit 80Pork's homepage!
Find More Posts by 80Pork
Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 PM      #11
macwagen

I'd much rather have seen JMS' version.

Gahd I hate "magic" solutions.

macwagen
View Public Profile
Send a private message to macwagen
Visit macwagen's homepage!
Find More Posts by macwagen
Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 PM      #12
krylon

Man what a terrible terrible mess this is. To see magic thrown out like that as the big explanation. Just bad taste and ethics. I mean if his web shooters are back does that mean The Other doesn't matter anymore? It really bothers me that this 4 part story pretty much threw decades of writing in the trash. I honestly think I'm done with Amazing Spider-Man.

By the way I've been coming to this site for months. This article compelled me to write my first comment. I'm going to come out and proclaim that this is a huge mistake no matter how good Brand New Day is and the 3 times a month schedule.

krylon
View Public Profile
Send a private message to krylon
Find More Posts by krylon
Old 01-03-2008, 12:38 PM      #13
Snowspinner

Many tea leaves to read here, most notably "What I wanted to do was to make one small change to history, a tiny thing, whose ripples we could control to only touch what editorial wanted to touch, making changes we could explain logically. I worked for weeks to come up with a timeline that would leave every other bit of continuity in place. It was rigorous, and as logical as I could make it."

The phrasing there seems to me to distance himself from the desire to make this change - "only touch what editorial wanted to touch" and "as logical as I could make it" both sound like backing off of saying that he ever liked or wanted this story.

In the end, though, JMS is right here. The option Quesada wanted makes no sense. It is untenable in the long term. Modern superhero comics, being as they are based on referencing past issues and bringing back old bits of continuity, cannot survive with a model that is so flagrantly not even trying to make a lick of sense. This is the mistake that DC made after Crisis, frankly, when they failed miserably to make anything coherent out of Hawkman and doomed the character to decades of not making any sense and not being coherent.

Except instead of doing it to Hawkman, Marvel did it to one of their main properties.

Snowspinner
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Snowspinner
Find More Posts by Snowspinner
Old 01-03-2008, 12:38 PM      #14
NewChad

Wow - this is turning into one huge cluster****.

I haven't read any of JMS Spidey, and am excited about Brand New Day. But it does seem the like the ends don't really justify the means.

For a storyline YEARS in the planning, it all looks a bit sloppy.

NewChad
View Public Profile
Send a private message to NewChad
Visit NewChad's homepage!
Find More Posts by NewChad
Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 PM      #15
tfitz

I've mentioned this before but I'll say it again. JMS was my favorite writer until the Gwen f@#ked Norman crap. After that, I pretty much got pissed whenever his name was brought up.

Then I read that he didn't want to write that story to begin with, and that that was Quesada too...damn! I think Quesada wouldn't know a good story if it bit him in the @ss, got lockjaw, and wouldn't let go.

tfitz
View Public Profile
Send a private message to tfitz
Find More Posts by tfitz
Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 PM      #16
spitar1

I wonder when the clock strikes midnight for Joe Q. and he gets ret-conned out of Marvel history...

What time is it now?

spitar1
View Public Profile
Send a private message to spitar1
Find More Posts by spitar1
Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 PM      #17
Jeffbot

Wow, I had no idea JMS felt so strongly about this and the twins. Good for him for airing his greviences, but I hope this doesn't turn into another online spat like Joe Q. and Peter David had a few years ago (though I agreed with PAD in that situation, too).

Jeffbot
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Jeffbot
Visit Jeffbot's homepage!
Find More Posts by Jeffbot
Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 PM      #18
LaughingJak

Quote:

Still Mephisto. Still Aunt May over MJ. Still huge amounts of (no logical not arbitrary) RetCon. It may have been clearer, but probably not MUCH better. (c;

LaughingJak
View Public Profile
Send a private message to LaughingJak
Find More Posts by LaughingJak
Old 01-03-2008, 12:42 PM      #19
TF_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBrady
And yes, I wanted to retcon the Gwen twins out of continuity, which was something I always assumed I could do at the end of my run. I wasn't allowed to do this, and yes, it pissed me off. I felt I was left holding the bag for something I wanted to get rid of, and taking the rap for a writing lapse that I had never committed.

That's the most interesting thing that we won't see. I wonder how he planned to do it.

TF_Loki
View Public Profile
Send a private message to TF_Loki
Find More Posts by TF_Loki
Old 01-03-2008, 12:43 PM      #20
zfd2h

So, if I am correct, everyone stills remembers EVERYTHING Spiderman did, according to the "logic" of this magic? But somehow, they forget he is Peter, presumably SHIELD lost all their intel on him that they must have had for years. So everything happened - except select stuff.

Does this mean Peter has new powers but merely doesn't remember them? Dunno.

Does this mean it is a stupid retcon that can be bent and twisted to fit any situation? Yup!

zfd2h
View Public Profile
Send a private message to zfd2h
Find More Posts by zfd2h
Old 01-03-2008, 12:43 PM      #21
Kevin T. Brown

It can be summed up in one sentence: "It's magic, we don't have to explain it."

I call bullcrap.

Kevin T. Brown
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Kevin T. Brown
Find More Posts by Kevin T. Brown
Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 PM      #22
HartyPotter

Quote:
Probably, but it wouldn't have necessarily have made more sense. For example, considering that the deal with Mephisto was the erase the marriage, either way, why would the spell have gone all the way back to Harry's death? Harry being alive is still out of left field- unless, of course, it was Mephisto throwing in a joke of his own.

BUT, if Mephisto is able to add and subtract to the deal he made to Peter, why would he need the deal at all? Why not just erase the marriage without having to give back anything?

HartyPotter
View Public Profile
Send a private message to HartyPotter
Find More Posts by HartyPotter
Old 01-03-2008, 12:45 PM      #23
SMARTASS8

It seems like JMS's version was what DC intended with the first Crisis On Infinite Earths, changing some history to streamline the Universe so everything makes sense with changes for the better. JoeyQ's version is what DC ended up with, Hawkman and many other characters are practically unusable due to poor planning. Even though I don't like the plan to begin with, I wish they had gone ahead and brought back Gwen Stacy if they were going to make so many changes. Even though she was dead before I was born, I've always liked Gwen more than MJ(especially in Spider-Man 3).

SMARTASS8
View Public Profile
Send a private message to SMARTASS8
Find More Posts by SMARTASS8
Old 01-03-2008, 12:45 PM      #24
JonahsWhale

Oh Boy ...

I actually see both sides. I think the "Magic did it" attitude is a cop out, but I think making it MJ's decision is for the best.

This story is not over ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page